Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Lads, thought experiment.

If they announced a real lockdown on Monday, and I mean genuinely hardcore....army on the streets, road blocks between towns, zero unnecessary travel, flights cancelled, all social life engagements shut down.

What do ye think the reaction would be? Would people accept two weeks of such "hardship"?

It wouldn't be that hard for everyday normies, TV works, you'd be allowed go shops for food.

The issue would be dependent people, the old, sick, incapacitated. There would be serious issues for the vulnerable in society. There would need to be some plan in place to make sure they are OK too. We would get through it if everyone worked together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

mloc123 wrote: »
    Remember that time it snowed for a day and people demolished a lidl? yeah...

That was Sinn Fein voters that did that. Normal people would do their civic duty and comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

I have a 2 week family holiday booked to Lanzarote leaving on Monday. No restrictions to fly there yet but they are advising against mainland Spain.
    Will lose all money if we don't go.
    Decisions decisions

"Suggesting there could be..."

Sars was 18 years ago and there is no treatment.... Don't hold your breath

The person would be speaking from a position of authority within his field. Why couldn't he be correct? Certain drugs HAVE reduced symptoms in patients it has been reported. Remdesvir is one. What is it about people here prepared to shout down any potential positive developments around this story....??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

If they announced a real lockdown on Monday, and I mean genuinely hardcore....army on the streets, road blocks between towns, zero unnecessary travel, flights cancelled, all social life engagements shut down.

What do ye think the reaction would be? Would people accept two weeks of such "hardship"?

Italy has been coping with all the above (except tanks on the streets - which is fake news https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51819624)

so why wouldn't Ireland cope with the same ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Like with any red warning weather event most people will observe the rules and practice caution while there'll be a few headcases who either don't understand or don't like being told what they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭PIORUN

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Feeling a bit paranoid here.

Son (13) has just woken up. Blocked nose and feeling hot. Temp 37.7 when I took it. No other symptoms.

Would it be daft to phone GP ?
    our son 13 was the same this day last week. We gave himthe day off and just kept on eye on him also gave him panadol he was fine by Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Brego888 wrote: »
    I have a 2 week family holiday booked to Lanzarote leaving on Monday. No restrictions to fly there yet but they are advising against mainland Spain.
    Decisions decisions

In 2 weeks time we may not be accepting flights from Lanzarote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Decisions decisions

money v health?
    not a difficult decision if you ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

2-3 % might die but then people come immune and its back to normal

Lockdown won't stop people dyeing it'll just means people die but just more slowly , The country is lockdown for months upon months and then when it comes off lockdown the virus spikes again

England idea is basically just get it over and done with ,

I'm not saying there right but that's is there plan,

In two years time then we will know who done it correctly ,

Sounds like the "Get Brexit Done" nonsense. There is nothing to suggest you can just "get it over and done with". If there was every country in the world would take that approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/487329-ohio-health-official-estimates-100000-people-in-state-have-coronavirus
    Ohio health officials estimate that there are up to 100,000 infections in the state basedon the number of known community transfers. Why is this affecting the west so much more than the developing world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Decisions decisions

If all goes well, you might have to spend months in Spain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Coronavirus is here and Uk and worldwide. People are going to get infected we all know that. Most will recover some will have it and not know others will form immunity to it once they’ve had it others will get reinfected. It won’t be stopped

Schools are closed events cancelled but life has to go on. How long are people going to self isolate 2 months, 6 months a year? The amount of scaremongering is unbelievable.

You could lockdown the whole country for 6 months but it will only take one reinfection to start the cycle again.
    Maybe Uk are right- let the virus take its course it’s going to do that anyway it’s unstoppable until a vaccine is found.

The whole purpose is to control the rate of infection to try avoid overwhelming the capacity of our health system.

We have moved beyond the contain stage and are now only trying to control the rate of spread. By reducing the rate of infection a sharp very high peak that overwhelms hospital capacity (not only for CoViD-19 patients but also for everyone else) the peak is lowered and spread out over a longer time and hopefully remains within the capacity of our healthcare system.

The earlier steps are taken to control the rate of infection the lower the peak is (significantly lower) and the less likely we are to end up in a situation like Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Boggles wrote: »
    In 2 weeks time we may not be accepting flights from Lanzarote.

Am sure you'll be fine while you're there but the likelihood is you'd have to self-isolate on your return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/487329-ohio-health-official-estimates-100000-people-in-state-have-coronavirus
    Ohio health officials estimate that there are up to 100,000 infections in the state basedon the number of known community transfers. Why is this affecting the west so much more than the developing world?

Because it is in the US since early January... and ignored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,805 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The clubs aren't testing their staff and players every day. There have even been complaints (not from the clubs themselves) that football clubs haven't been given priority on the NHS testing service. They've to meet the same criteria as any other prospective patients and get in the queue.

Not for the actually virus but there looked at every morning by doctors for symptoms ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Decisions decisions

Then don’t go. That money is gone either way and you could get stranded there. Who knows where we’ll be in two weeks. Look at how much things have changed in only a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭tigger123

Then don’t go. That money is gone either way and you could get stranded there.

The money is already spent. You're not losing anything by not going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Really good article to share with family and friends who might not be taking this seriously yet:

https://www.newsweek.com/young-unafraid-coronavirus-pandemic-good-you-now-stop-killing-people-opinion-1491797

It's about everyone taking responsibility and protecting the elderly and vulnerable people to the best of our ability

Jesus thats a horrifically written article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There's early but increasing evidence that even if you "recover" from this disease it causes longer term lung damage which is more widespread than just the old and ill.

From what I gather, the long term damage would apply to those who had a bad infection and ended up in ICU. Unless you have a source otherwise for mild cases?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Anyone panic buying is a moron unless you need it for elderly family.

The shops will be open and restocked as normal. People see toilet roll shortages on Facebook and buy toilet roll. Meanwhile all the kitchen roll beside it is left untouched.

Also why do people need bread? It's probably one of the least long lasting foods you can buy.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Given yesterday's announcements we're thinking of making this the last thread on the topic to minimise the risk of social media transmission. In the meantime can we try and keep posts at least 2 minutes apart.....

IBTL

:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

What temperature are we looking for when it comes to fever. Would it be a temperature of 38.

I have been checking my temperature religiously over the past week. My temp changes throughout the day from 36.5 to 37.5. Nothing over that.

If I get a reading of 38, do I self isolate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,805 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Sounds like the "Get Brexit Done" nonsense. There is nothing to suggest you can just "get it over and done with". If there was every country in the world would take that approach.

There is actually its the same as MERS once a huge number is infected and people have antibody's the virus will not spread as quickly ,

Its just that every other country In the world don't want to just accept lose of life probably rightly so

If you watched Boris yesterday he and his government seem willing to go down that road ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

If we had food, electricity, heat, tv and internet then yes I would see no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭tigger123

That is not true

Why do people spread this ****ing nonsense?! We will not be in lockdown!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Anyone panic buying is a moron unless you need it for elderly family.

The shops will be open and restocked as normal. People see toilet roll shortages on Facebook and buy toilet roll. Meanwhile all the kitchen roll beside it is left untouched.

Also why do people need bread? It's probably one of the least long lasting foods you can buy.

It can be frozen for up to a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Nobody take their temperature.
    Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Decisions decisions
    These kind of questions being posted here are infuriating. If you are even debating the choice, then you already know the answer. Why take the risk and go? For the sake of a few hundred quid. I'd rather have my health than my wealth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

My brother is off in Spain this weekend on a golfing holiday with 5 friends.

I very much doubt any of them with be self-isolating and would expect they'll all be in work next Wednesday.

Will you be avoiding him facehugger? Do you have parents in the vulnerable category?

He might be ok, but he's taking a chance and as a precaution should isolate on return.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement