Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

MarkY91 wrote: »

Some eegit with too much time on his hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

If you have kids at home maybe get them to read this:

Message from Consultant Respiratory Paediatrician at Cork University Hospital 13 March 2020: I hope you all stay safe during this difficult time. The children will get through this no problem. Pediatric hospitals are empty in Italy at present after 3 weeks of school closure as the usual viruses stopped circulating. Remember with corona children are vectors not victims. In most epidemics, young children are the transmitters. Therefore for school closure to be effective, it’s really important that the kids aren’t mixing with other kids while out of school. They will give it to each other silently pass it on to our loved ones. What we do now will contribute to how this develops in Cork. Avoid situations that the children will interact. If the community responds to this it will shut it down more than anything we do in the hospital . From my experiences in the hospital this last week I would say that coronavirus is closer to all of us than we realise and the degrees of separation for all of us is getting narrower. I’m not that good at social media but if this could be shared as widely as possible with parents in Cork it will help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Here is a copy of a letter that the HSE is sending to all residents of Kinvara due to the cluster of cases (5) in the town. It's good advice for everyone to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

faceman wrote: »
    Jesus thats a horrifically written article.

This seems to be the salient bit:

But why the urgency, if most people survive?

Here's why: Fatality is the wrong yardstick. Catching the virus can mess up your life in many, many more ways than just straight-up killing you. "We are all young"—okay. "Even if we get the bug, we will survive"—fantastic. How about needing four months of physical therapy before you even feel human again. Or getting scar tissue in your lungs and having your activity level restricted for the rest of your life. Not to mention having every chance of catching another bug in hospital, while you're being treated or waiting to get checked with an immune system distracted even by the false alarm of an ordinary flu. No travel for leisure or business is worth this risk.

Now, odds are, you might catch coronavirus and might not even get symptoms. Great. Good for you. Very bad for everyone else, from your own grandparents to the random older person who got on the subway train a stop or two after you got off. You're fine, you're barely even sneezing or coughing, but you're walking around and you kill a couple of old ladies without even knowing it. Is that fair? You tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Anyone panic buying is a moron unless you need it for elderly family.

The shops will be open and restocked as normal. People see toilet roll shortages on Facebook and buy toilet roll. Meanwhile all the kitchen roll beside it is left untouched.

Also why do people need bread? It's probably one of the least long lasting foods you can buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

lawred2 wrote: »
    If kids are already "incubating" the virus then keeping them at home prevents sharing the virus between children who go home in the evening. Fairly basic stuff.

In a lot of cases, parents are minding children. Not sure what your point is. There's no perfect approach. But reducing social mobility is a good place to start.

Your "common sense" approach is to do nothing.

But they’re not being kept at home. Very few parents were in a position to just stay at home from work today and for the next fortnight to mind them. So they’re being minded elsewhere and there’s no where else today except granny’s or auntie Mary’s.
    And you haven’t answered my question as to if you think the crisis will be over when the schools open up in 2 weeks time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gods Gift wrote: »
    I freeze beastings here all the time in plastic containers no problem. Glass would burst obviously

All you need to do is make sure the container is not full to the brim to allow for expansion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Beasty wrote: »
    Given yesterday's announcements we're thinking of making this the last thread on the topic to minimise the risk of social media transmission. In the meantime can we try and keep posts at least 2 minutes apart.....

IBTL

:pac::pac:

Please don't make this the last thread on Coronavirus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

owlbethere wrote: »
    Please don't make this the last thread on Coronavirus.

It might be the last thread on boards.

Quick!

Make lots of posts about lavatory paper while there's still time!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Ribs1234

owlbethere wrote: »
    What temperature are we looking for when it comes to fever. Would it be a temperature of 38.

I have been checking my temperature religiously over the past week. My temp changes throughout the day from 36.5 to 37.5. Nothing over that.

If I get a reading of 38, do I self isolate?
    Uk government guidance is above 37.8. Take a few readings as personal thermometers are not very accurate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭pad199207

If your in supermarkets and shops and you an elderly person ask them if they need any help with anything.

Staff in one of the Supervalus in Naas we’re going out of there way to help the elderly today. So kudos to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Brego888 wrote: »
    I have a 2 week family holiday booked to Lanzarote leaving on Monday. No restrictions to fly there yet but they are advising against mainland Spain.
    Will lose all money if we don't go.
    Decisions decisions

Go and enjoy yourself, take sensible precautions and you'll be grand.

Looking for advice on this thread is the equivalent of asking Chicken Licken if the sky is looking stable today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

From what I gather, the long term damage would apply to those who had a bad infection and ended up in ICU. Unless you have a source otherwise for mild cases?

Get real please and where's your source????

"The researchers also compared the clinical characteristics and imaging features between non-emergency patients with mild cases of the disease and emergency cases of severe or fatal disease.

Emergency patients were older than the patients in the non-emergency group, but the rate of underlying disease was not significantly different between the two. This suggests that viral load could be a better reflection of the severity and extent of Covid-19 pneumonia."

https://www.medicaldevice-network.com/news/coronavirus-ct-scans/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

From what I gather, the long term damage would apply to those who had a bad infection and ended up in ICU. Unless you have a source otherwise for mild cases?

https://www.medicaldevice-network.com/news/coronavirus-ct-scans/

Non emergency group showed similar lung damage to emergency group. 70% of the sample were aged between 21-50.

Emergency patients were older than the patients in the non-emergency group, but the rate of underlying disease was not significantly different between the two. This suggests that viral load could be a better reflection of the severity and extent of Covid-19 pneumonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

These kind of questions being posted here are infuriating. If you are even debating the choice, then you already know the answer. Why take the risk and go? For the sake of a few hundred quid. I'd rather have my health than my wealth.

Fair enough. But it's not a few hundred it's closer to 2 grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

GooglePlus wrote: »

My daughter was playing me something similar last night but supposedly from this guys daughter...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

When the dust settles and all this is over the bill will be presented to the people one way or another
    When the dust settles on this, we will all have to pay more tax. Its time to end the low tax model and fund public services properly. In the run up to the election Fine Gael were looking to cut taxes. Craziness.

Last time we had to dig in (still are) was because of mistakes made by banks/politicians/the people.

This time, whatever the economic cost - we need to go for it - I'll be glad to dig in and pay what's needed, I've already put off a car purchase & expect not to be applying for a mortgage this year as previously planned.

I want to know that if/when this happens again in a few or more years when I'm over 60 - that we will be ready to attack it head on regardless of economic fallout.

Money can be re-created out of nowhere as it already is, people can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It might be the last thread on boards.

Quick!

Make lots of posts about lavatory paper while there's still time!

I've taken to wiping with defrosted white Brennan's bread that I bought in our last national crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

robinph wrote: »
    I think it's more that they will pick the fight with the virus at the point which will have most impact.

Shutting down everything now just means you get a massive spike 6 weeks later, their thinking is to do a shutdown nearer the peak and try to reduce that number nearer the time when it will make a bigger difference. For now just rely on people being sensible to try and limit the spread for a few weeks as best as can be done.

Surely the greater the freedom now: the greater the eventual spread.

Your point only holds if one is to believe that the same place will be reached in 8 weeks time regardless of what you do now.

But reducing the spread now has to have a long term dampening effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Go and enjoy yourself, take sensible precautions and you'll be grand.

Looking for advice on this thread is the equivalent of asking Chicken Licken if the sky is looking stable today.

Just as the said person gives advice ! Excellent

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It can be frozen for up to a month.
    It can be frozen from here to eternity

I won't be around to test it's quality when defrosted though, but it could be an interesting experiment

Typically stuff put into our freezer gets forgotten about until we start hacking the ice away:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Will you be avoiding him facehugger? Do you have parents in the vulnerable category?

He might be ok, but he's taking a chance and as a precaution should isolate on return.

Absolutely, he's a right prick.

Brego888 wrote: »
    Fair enough. But it's not a few hundred it's closer to 2 grand.

Well then go if the money means that much to you.

Ratio of mild cases to severe/critical has reached 90%. Was initially 80%.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Football has been shutdown in the UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

GooglePlus wrote: »

He should be put away in an institute.
    Some people will whore their future for a few likes or ticks on Facebook

Oh well he's gone mainstream now that's him marked for the dummy hat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

dickdonk14 wrote: »
    Milk can be frozen just pour some milk out of carton before freezing as it expands. Freezing will affect taste slightly. If freezing eggs just crack out of shell

When I had hens and there were more eggs in summer than I could use, I used to whisk 8 at a time, in a plastic bag then in a loaf tin and freeze then remove from the loaf tin. Saved the eggs for the winter when laying was poor. I fed raw eggs to the cats as I do now,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Graces7 wrote: »
    When I had hens and there were more eggs in summer than I could use, I used to whisk 8 at a time, in a plastic bag then in a loaf tin and freeze then remove from the loaf tin. Saved the eggs for the winter when laying was poor. I fed raw eggs to the cats as I do now,

340?cb=20190503214241

Ratio of mild cases to severe/critical has reached 90%. Was initially 80%.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Need to bear in mind the mild category includes people with pneumonia who didn't need urgent/critical care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Panrich

It can be frozen for up to a month.

Taking up freezer space with low density calorific foods like bread is not the best idea though even if it can be done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement