Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

pad199207 wrote: »
    Would one feel safer in China now or in Ireland?

The Chinese figures are plucked out of their arses. What human rights violations did they Impose to achieve this?

I'm not buying it for a second from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

They didn't test everyone ,
    You can not eliminate that possibility without testing every single person in a country ,

You can make it a statistical improbability by testing so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    First death in Ireland was as not expecting deaths quiet so soon ....

I remember my granddad, RIP, died of pneumonia technically, but he was very old and it was just what put him to rest in the end. A lot of old people will probably just die of Corona now instead of something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Thread remains very useful to identify the “nothing to see here” types and the “we’re all doomed” types.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

May she rest in peace

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

JDD wrote: »
    Question for y'all.

I saw the tweet from One Pico last night, and I have to say I feel very sorry for all the small business owners who are starting the feel the pinch and know that it is only going to get worse.

I am considering asking two of my friends if they want to go out to dinner on Friday night. I feel like I should support the restaurant business - while I still can - as it would be a terrible pity if some really good places went under.

I don't expect small businesses will get anything like the same amount of financial support from our government as that which has just been announced in the UK budget.

Am I being irresponsible by going out on Friday? We'll keep apart from one other, wash our hands, all the usual craic. And at the moment I am on my work floor with 140 other people, I can't see how going to a restaurant with two friends will make me more likely to pick something up, or pass it on to someone else.

What are your thoughts?

Thoughtful question.

I went to my local cafe to get lunch today as I felt the need to support them. I was happy to see that they were quite busy though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Would the triaging and massive pressure on Italian health infrastructure not be a bigger factor here?

I would imagine so.
    I would expect the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

wakka12 wrote: »
    Every single person on the cruise ship was tested, it was 1% death rate.
    The fact that South Korea tested several hundred thousand people and came to a similar figure would just further strengthen the plausibility of it being accurate.

So it can only be true for the cruise ship ,1 % in such a space where people stuck living in the same space isn't that high,

South Korea has 51 and a half million people a couple of thousand is a tiny percentage ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

The death rate is very unlikely to be as high as 3.4%.
    1% is the generally consensus, South Korea who have tested several hundred thousand people and the cruise ship would both also hold up this figure.

Since the cruise ship people repatriated are they not treated with that countries mortalitys now and not part of cruise ship?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

And the HSE are now encouraging visitor restrictions.

Maybe it's time to give the Department of Fisheries a crack at his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

robinph wrote: »
    The cruise ship skews things the other way though as it is virtually impossible to avoid catching it on board compared to people being isolated in their own homes. Their water, air, food and every service they receive is potentially contaminated and they cannot avoid it.

Also the age demographic and state of health on the cruise ship doesn't match that of the general population.

Yes it skews the number of people who would catch it but not the death rate, which is what is being dicsussed. The age and health of the cruise passengers is highly overstated, it is most popular with people aged 35-65 rather than OAPS and 1/3 of people on board were people of working age. A person choosing to travel on a trans continental cruise is also much more likely to be in a decent state of health than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

gmisk wrote: »
    I have heard from a few people (department of education) the instruction to close schools is waiting for a meeting on TDs etc on Friday.
    We all hear stuff, but unless you have firsthand information it's just hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Half of all ventilators used in the world are manufactured in Ireland. We should be making those companies provide us with the equipment we need.

Where do they make the ICU nurses and doctors to go with those machines? We should make whoever it is hand them over too!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

So it can only be true for the cruise ship ,1 % in such a space where people stuck living in the same space isn't that high,

South Korea has 51 and a half million people a couple of thousand is a tiny percentage ,

Cruise ships also tend to have older passengers.
    I don't think we can project from that data to the wider world.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,026 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Boggles wrote: »
    And the HSE are now encouraging visitor restrictions.

Maybe it's time to give the Department of Fisheries a crack at his.
    Not a department but sure!
    Inland fisheries Ireland maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Except there is no evidence to validate this according to the WHO. Why do people insist on posting unsubstantiated claims?

Same with the nonsense earlier in the thread about it causing kidney damage, heart damage etc etc. There is no actual evidence for any of this. Pure fearmongering by internet experts which is pretty much all this thread is this stage.

At this stage, a separate topic should be set up where people can post all this IMO. Keep this thread for actual factual updates

I've been calling this **** out for weeks.

Talisman wrote: »
    The Department of Health sent a letter to schools last night that basically says the schools are not to close unless instructed to do so.

That explains why my little fella didn't come home at half 2.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,488 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

leahyl wrote: »
    If someone has high blood pressure and is taking medication for it but is otherwise in good health, are they still high risk?
    Speak to your doctor. We cannot provide any medical advice here

• Registered Users Posts: 33,026 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

leck wrote: »
    We all hear stuff, but unless you have firsthand information it's just hearsay.
    I used to work in the department of education came from people I used to work with.
    That's the best I can do I am afraid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The lack of coordination on this on a European level is a sad indictment. Hungary has declared a state of emergency, Poland has shut down all schools and museums etc, Italy in lockdown, UK mostly carrying on business as usual and Ireland is taking a wait and see approach. Mad stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

It has probably already been discussed in one of the threads, but is there anything to be said for just letting this play out and (most of us) just going on about our business?

If the vast majority of us will survive anyway, is there much benefit in dragging this out by delaying the inevitable and spending billions in the process? It doesn't appear it will be stopped, so why shut the country down for nothing?

Give the elderly and people with proven underlying health conditions the option to self isolate of course (with full pay etc for those who work) ; but what's the point in following Italy for example and shutting the whole country down, isolating everyone for a couple of weeks, to achieve basically nothing because the virus will still be there when they emerge 2 weeks later and ready to continue spreading?

Maybe I'm missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Half of all ventilators used in the world are manufactured in Ireland. We should be making those companies provide us with the equipment we need.

The production capacity is probably already more than maxed out by orders from all over the world.
    I don’t think our government would dare seizing the stocks of those companies and pissing off the original destination countries? (although I understand Germany did something like that with protective equipment this week).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Since the cruise ship people repatriated are they not treated with that countries mortalitys now and not part of cruise ship?

Yes several are. But the number of cases from the ship counted as part of other countries is available on BNO. Theres about 750 in total inlcuding the repatriated numbers. The 8th death was counted as part of Japans death toll

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yes it skews the number of people who would catch it but not the death rate, which is what is being dicsussed. The age and health of the cruise passengers is highly overstated, it is most popular with people aged 35-65 rather than OAPS and 1/3 of people on board were people of working age. A person choosing to travel on a trans continental cruise is also much more likely to be in a decent state of health than not.

What are you basing that on? The videos of young, healthy and attractive people that you seen in adverts for cruise holidays, or actual details of who goes on cruise ships?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Every single person on the cruise ship was tested, it was 1% death rate.
    The fact that South Korea tested several hundred thousand people and came to a similar figure would just further strengthen the plausibility of it being accurate.

The majority of the cruise ship cases are still classified as active with 32 classified as serious/critical. So can't draw definitive conclusions at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Given that China tried to bury this for months in the early stages of the outbreak and then hammered the poor doctor who blew the whistle about it and tried to get it resolved, I wouldn’t trust them to run a bath to be quite honest.

They use information as a tool of control and will make up figures to suit whatever policy they’re pushing.

Fair play to all those in China working tirelessly to deal with the aftermath, and the population for being so diligent, they are genuinely lovely people and very community focused, but I don’t buy data from
    Chinese officialdom at all, anymore than I would have believed information from the USSR or Trump. Facts are published to suit a narrative and tightly controlled.

It absolutely is not a normal country in terms of how the state operates or how information is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Spleerbun wrote: »
    It has probably already been discussed in one of the threads, but is there anything to be said for just letting this play out and (most of us) just going on about our business?

If the vast majority of us will survive anyway, is there much benefit in dragging this out by delaying the inevitable and spending billions in the process? It doesn't appear it will be stopped, so why shut the country down for nothing?

Give the elderly and people with proven underlying health conditions the option to self isolate of course (with full pay etc for those who work) ; but what's the point in following Italy for example and shutting the whole country down, isolating everyone for a couple of weeks, to achieve basically nothing because the virus will still be there when they emerge 2 weeks later and ready to continue spreading?

You absolutely are, but we are not allowed give medical advice so I can't help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The hospitals and medical services would basically shut down and be overwhelmed, that's why we need to "Flatten the Curve"
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/10/covid-19-coronavirus-flattening-the-curve

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's to slow down infection rates and allow the health care system to cope with a steady influx rather than exponential growth of ICU patients.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement