Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Omackeral wrote: »
    Liverpool vs United stuff in here is cringey as f*ck.

They should infect all the teams. Level the playing field.

Corona League.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

I'd expect the mortality rate to pan out at around the 1% mark over time - similar to the normal flu.

Fun Fact: Around 1% of the population die ever year.

If this were true for Italy, for example then with their 1,200 dead, then their number of cases will have to go from 15k known to 120k, with no further deaths. It might happen (it might already be the case as many don't know they are infected) , but I think the true death rate is higher than 1%

Also the normal death rate assumes everyone can be treated, if they can't due to resources (which is already the case) it will be much higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Drumpot wrote: »
    Would I rather be right . . Or would I rather be happy . . I think I would rather be happy . . .

No clue what you're talking about but
    Drumpot wrote: »
    This is the biggest event in practically everybodys life and has the potential to change us all over the coming months.

this type of hysteria is ridiculous.

Getting married, birth of my kids, first car, first kiss, first ****, first job, first time I went to Anfield, first time I touched a real boob.

That's just off the top of my head. Way bigger events.

People need to take a break from the echo-chamber of social media and go for a walk if you're going around thinking the the way you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

Oh ****, this actually wasnt a horrible dream!

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭sunshinew

The worldometer website in interesting. Ireland is currently at 14.2 cases per million people. UK at 8.7 and USA at 5.5. Can't get my head around how high Iceland's cases are considering their tiny population and location. It's obviously down to how many tests are being carried out. UK and USA have their heads buried deep in the sand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Boggles wrote: »
    They are not "bed blockers."

Who said they were?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

someone posted on here there had been two deaths from this now, is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Tesco Celbridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's funny to see the other side taking mock offence at the "Dublin Government" closing schools etc with notifying them but then saying that they would have sided with the "London Government's" advice anyway..

As with everything up North - it not what's being said, it's who's saying it that matters.
    And what religion they are....

someone posted on here there had been two deaths from this now, is that true?

It appeared and then disappeared yesterday in a few news outlets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

One in Naas

One in Cork

Do you have a source for this cork death, I hadn’t heard and can’t seem to find the info online? Thanks

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Ah, what a shame.

Have to put a nice big "NO WINNER" in the history books going forward.

Tis a shame of the highest proportions.

:pac:
    When I was over the other week more the last Europa League match I went over to Stanley Park and had a coughing fit. Looks like it all ended up at Goodison, but it's done the trick either way.....

:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭amacca

If one is forced to eat out

What is safest way (least likely to contract this whore of a thing) to get a meal out?

Drive through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Nibs05 wrote: »
    Local Aldi store delayed opening by 1 hour to give the staff a break, store manger walking down the queue explaining that there is plenty of stock no need to bulk buy and just chill out, it seemed to work, no mad dash, everyone seemed to be buying everyday essentials. It was busy but nothing crazy.

(Store originally due to open at 9 hence the queue)

Great leadership. We need more of this.

Just give it to Liverpool now nobody will catch them ... I can’t cope if they are out of the Champions league and then lose the PM because of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Beasty wrote: »
    When I was over the other week more the last Europa League match I went over to Stanley Park and had a coughing fit. Looks like it all ended up at Goodison, but it's done the trick either way.....

:)

Hilarious

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Tesco Celbridge

Eejits still stockpiling toilet roll. Muppets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

flynnlives wrote: »
    vsZV0Ni.png?1

i did this simple exponet on Tuesday. Not totally accurate but gives a general idea.

By the middle of next week the US will pass Iran in terms of recorded cases.

If the US doesnt increase their level of testing, then on paper, they wont have an increase in cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

amacca wrote: »

What is safest way (least likely to contract this whore of a thing) to get a meal out?

Drive through?

It would be down to the hygiene observed by the person creating your meal and serving you.

Game of roulette basically.

• Advertisement

Just give it to Liverpool now nobody will catch them ... I can’t cope if they are out of the Champions league and then lose the PM because of this.

There are more pressing issues than a piece of silverware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It appeared and then disappeared yesterday in a few news outlets

It was in the independent as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

Drive through?
    Eat out a whore you say? Can’t help you there, sorry.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

From the Guardian updates. Director of Health Research body in Germany:
    Wieler said that between 60-70% of the population would get the virus, due to the fact that it is new, there is no immunity against it, no vaccination against it and no treatment for it” and that “many many people” will have had it already without knowing it, and will have already recovered. Those numbers are unquantifiable, but the more people who get it, long term, the better, as that will increase the immunity levels.

Four-fifths of people will get it very mildly with many not even realising they have it, he added.

I think this needs to be stressed more.
    We should probably assume we all have it right now.
    Only then will we really change our behaviour to stay away from our vulnerable loved ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Drive through?

Nice Italian.
    Or Chinese never harmed anyone.

It was in the independent as well.

Yeah I got a notification clicked I to it and it was gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Just went back over my numbers for a UK herd immunity approach. Can someone point out the error if they see it?

UK Population 62,000,000.0
    60% infected 37,200,000.0
    5% need ICU 1,860,000.0
    ICU Bed Weeks needed if 8000 beds 232.5
    ICU Bed Years 4.5

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

faceman wrote: »
    If the US doesnt increase their level of testing, then on paper, they wont have an increase in cases.

either way the dotard has ensured that they are ****ed.
    The US will be the worst affected country.

Voting to own the libs has worked out great! They sure showed them libtards!

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There are more pressing issues than a piece of silverware.

We all know that ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Looking at things from a UK perspective as that is where I am right now, it seems that they are going for a herd immunity style tactic, which appears to be based on accepting that everyone will get it, which is interesting when there is also a social care crisis ongoing for a number of years which is only going to get worse.

If you were being extremely cynical you would say that if the virus spread through everyone then obviously it's going to hit the weakest and illest in society the hardest and some will unfortunately pass away as they will not be able to fight it off whilst the younger, healthier people will be unscathed.

By the time it's gone through everyone and herd immunity has been achieved, there will be far less ill and weak in society as they would have already have passed away, so the ones who are still alive are going to be far healthier and either immune or effected less by it so the virus will have less effect in the future.

Then you look at the overall crisis in social care and you see that coronavirus had the potential of assisting with bringing the costs of it down. The majority of the people who require social care have serious underlying health issues or are very elderly, the coronavirus has the potential to seriously reduce these numbers if it kills them.

Social care is not the only way that the coronavirus can be an opportunity for the UK Government. It now has the potential of being used as a vehicle to blame all the woes of Brexit on rather than revealing the impact that it has had on the uK. And that's something Cummings won't be able to resist.

All in all, this last few days you've seen the difference between Irish society and British society really shown up, compare the actions of our own Taioseach and the UK's Prime Minister. For all of Leo's critics, he would never act like Johnson and the UK government are now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement