Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Premiership Winners

2016 Leicester City
    2017 Chelsea
    2018 Manchester City
    2019 Manchester City
    2020 Liverpool*

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Premiership Winners

2016 Leicester City
    2017 Chelsea
    2018 Manchester City
    2019 Manchester City
    2020 Liverpool*

Jesus. Nobody gives a f*ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

An expert on Sky News said the risk is more from close family gatherings at home than large outdoor events. This was what was seen in Wuhan.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Boris and the rigth wing Tory element most be delighted.

In one go the Virus has provided two of their most desired outcomes:

1/ a handy cover for the economic disaster that is Brexit

2/ the many deaths of mainly older poorer lower class proles ensuring a nice cut in social care and pensions

No wonder he seems so relaxed this past week. He delighted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Local Aldi yesterday was wiped out of meat, fruit and vegetables, bread and eggs. Yet things like flour, dried fruit and nuts, rice at normal stock levels. Why are people stockpiling perishable goods??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

can the virus live on roads and building walls ?...i'm asking as i'm thinking about all the disinfectant spraying china does on the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

whiskeyman wrote: »
    We should probably assume we all have it right now.
    Only then will we really change our behaviour to stay away from our vulnerable loved ones.

This is how i am approaching it with everyone so as not to make people feel offended.

I am saying to everyone to keep a distance as they dont know if i have it and i dont want to pass it on to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

An expert on Sky News said the risk is more from close family gatherings at home than large outdoor events. This was what was seen in Wuhan.

Presumably due to v close contact and prolonged at that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

devnull wrote: »
    Looking at things from a UK perspective as that is where I am right now, it seems that they are going for a herd immunity style tactic, which appears to be based on accepting that everyone will get it, which is interesting when there is also a social care crisis ongoing for a number of years which is only going to get worse.

If you were being extremely cynical you would say that if the virus spread through everyone then obviously it's going to hit the weakest and illest in society the hardest and some will unfortunately pass away as they will not be able to fight it off whilst the younger, healthier people will be unscathed.

By the time it's gone through everyone and herd immunity has been achieved, there will be far less ill and weak in society as they would have already have passed away, so the ones who are still alive are going to be far healthier and either immune or effected less by it so the virus will have less effect in the future.

Then you look at the overall crisis in social care and you see that coronavirus had the potential of assisting with bringing the costs of it down. The majority of the people who require social care have serious underlying health issues or are very elderly, the coronavirus has the potential to seriously reduce these numbers if it kills them.

Social care is not the only way that the coronavirus can be an opportunity for the UK Government. It now has the potential of being used as a vehicle to blame all the woes of Brexit on rather than revealing the impact that it has had on the uK. And that's something Cummings won't be able to resist.

All in all, this last few days you've seen the difference between Irish society and British society really shown up, compare the actions of our own Taioseach and the UK's Prime Minister. For all of Leo's critics, he would never act like Johnson and the UK government are now.

I think a lot of people have been thinking what you have just articulated. The purge that would result from allowing the virus run its course would be hugely beneficial to the UK in purely economic terms. They get over it quicker, they are immune so don't need travel restrictions any more, NHS is free of a generation of elderly and long term ill. Do I for a second believe Boris is actually thinking about it in that context? I don't. But I do believe that epidemiologists are pushing him in that direction without making it clear that he can't get herd immunity without an absolute bloodbath among the vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Feeling more confident in response watching HSE briefing today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

dougm1970 wrote: »
    can the virus live on roads and building walls ?...i'm asking as i'm thinking about all the disinfectant spraying china does on the streets.

Unknown as of yet but probably for periods of time.

SARS could live between 15 minutes and 3 hours on a steel or plastic surface depending on temperature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

This is going to become rampant in the UK and Northern Ireland and there is huge back and forth between Ireland and the UK including people who work Monday-Friday in the UK and come back to Ireland for the weekend.

The UK have screwed the rest of Europe!

The UK could easily get on top of this Wuhan style. Feels like they are making the same mistakes as with Foot & Mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Temple bar pub last night .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

From the Guardian updates. Director of Health Research body in Germany:

I think this needs to be stressed more.
    We should probably assume we all have it right now.
    Only then will we really change our behaviour to stay away from our vulnerable loved ones.

Well if we do all have it now, then surely that is a good thing, it will mean the death rates will be extremely low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

dougm1970 wrote: »

It seems like it would be really rare to get infected from a road or building. I always thought it looked like a huge waste of time and resource disinfecting all the city that way, probably a lot more effective to have somebody going around scrubbing door handles and other things people touch a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,539 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Looking at things from a UK perspective as that is where I am right now, it seems that they are going for a herd immunity style tactic, which appears to be based on accepting that everyone will get it, which is interesting when there is also a social care crisis ongoing for a number of years which is only going to get worse.

If you were being extremely cynical you would say that if the virus spread through everyone then obviously it's going to hit the weakest and illest in society the hardest and some will unfortunately pass away as they will not be able to fight it off whilst the younger, healthier people will be unscathed.

By the time it's gone through everyone and herd immunity has been achieved, there will be far less ill and weak in society as they would have already have passed away, so the ones who are still alive are going to be far healthier and either immune or effected less by it so the virus will have less effect in the future.

Then you look at the overall crisis in social care and you see that coronavirus had the potential of assisting with bringing the costs of it down. The majority of the people who require social care have serious underlying health issues or are very elderly, the coronavirus has the potential to seriously reduce these numbers if it kills them.

Social care is not the only way that the coronavirus can be an opportunity for the UK Government. It now has the potential of being used as a vehicle to blame all the woes of Brexit on rather than revealing the impact that it has had on the uK. And that's something Cummings won't be able to resist.

All in all, this last few days you've seen the difference between Irish society and British society really shown up, compare the actions of our own Taioseach and the UK's Prime Minister. For all of Leo's critics, he would never act like Johnson and the UK government are now.

You'd be looking at a death rate that a society or country would take a long time to come back from.

100s 1000s of loved ones left to choke to death on their own mucus would lead to the bringing down of society.

Bojo would be hung from parliament.

It's hilarious electing the likes of Trump and Boris.

Not so funny now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

bekker wrote: »
    Feeling more confident in response watching HSE briefing today.

The UK approach is going to undermine efforts here unfortunately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Presumably due to v close contact and prolonged at that?

Yeah you're likely to be more intimate with family members.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

flynnlives wrote: »
    Boris and the rigth wing Tory element most be delighted.

In one go the Virus has provided two of their most desired outcomes:

1/ a handy cover for the economic disaster that is Brexit

2/ the many deaths of mainly older poorer lower class proles ensuring a nice cut in social care and pensions

No wonder he seems so relaxed this past week. He delighted!

I thought old thick people were needed to ensure popular Brexit support and that Tories need the older vote.

Now they want to kill them all. Thanks genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

As a 36 year old stage 4 cancer patient, reading stuff like this is chilling. I'm in Ireland but know plenty of people in the UK in my position through online communities. I'm sad that their lives are deemed to be so worthless.
    Phibsboro wrote: »
    I think a lot of people have been thinking what you have just articulated. The purge that would result from allowing the virus run its course would be hugely beneficial to the UK in purely economic terms. They get over it quicker, they are immune so don't need travel restrictions any more, NHS is free of a generation of elderly and long term ill. Do I for a second believe Boris is actually thinking about it in that context? I don't. But I do believe that epidemiologists are pushing him in that direction without making it clear that he can't get herd immunity without an absolute bloodbath among the vulnerable.

Nonsense. He knows well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Tootsie_1 wrote: »

Yeh I was on Hnery Street last night. Some of the pubs were completely packed out , like you wouldnt be able to get a seat.
    Though I have to say town was quieter last night than a typical Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Johnson can get rid of millions of "economically inactive" pensioners with this herd immunity plan. Would this man be so callous? You'll have to ask some of his disowned kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭landofthetree

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Local Aldi yesterday was wiped out of meat, fruit and vegetables, bread and eggs. Yet things like flour, dried fruit and nuts, rice at normal stock levels. Why are people stockpiling perishable goods??

A bunch of sheep in a heap as one hurling manager infamously said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭Christy42

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Just went back over my numbers for a UK herd immunity approach. Can someone point out the error if they see it?

UK Population 62,000,000.0
    60% infected 37,200,000.0
    5% need ICU 1,860,000.0
    ICU Bed Weeks needed if 8000 beds 232.5
    ICU Bed Years 4.5

The idea is that far more people have it but are unaware and don't get tested. However they still build an immunity going forward. Even in the most stringent testing regimes. So that the 5% should be much smaller.

Not that I agree with the approach mind you. That is the idea though. I still don't think they can spread it out enough to cope buy hopefully they can. It isn't those making the decisions that will suffer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭facehugger99

namloc1980 wrote: »

Because they're idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭obi604

what a shower of d1psh1ts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Boggles wrote: »
    You'd be looking at a death rate that a society or country would take a long time to come back from.

100s 1000s of loved ones left to choke to death on their own mucus would lead to the bringing down of society.

Bojo would be hung from parliament.

It's hilarious electing the likes of Trump and Boris.

Not so funny now.

^^

Tens of thousands of deaths look scary on paper, but living through it happening is an entirely different story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I think you will see areas like Temple Bar starting to quieten down somewhat in the days ahead.

There are a lot of tourists already here for their holidays who can't just up and leave and will just get on with their holidays as much as possible. Looking at airport traffic, arrivals of tourists is considerably down so those that haven't started their trips yet are cancelling. This will have a knock on effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Christy42 wrote: »
    The idea is that far more people have it but are unaware and don't get tested. However they still build an immunity going forward. Even in the most stringent testing regimes. So that the 5% should be much smaller.

Not that I agree with the approach mind you. That is the idea though. I still don't think they can spread it out enough to cope buy hopefully they can. It isn't those making the decisions that will suffer

I see that point all right. Worth noting however that in Italy the ICU rate is running more like 10%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Any updates just came online now and havent seen news or anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement