Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

^^

Tens of thousands of deaths look scary on paper, but living through it happening is an entirely different story.

You live through it every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Temple bar pub last night .....

The epitome of ''shure look, be grand''

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

additional deaths, en masse, in their homes? That many of which can be prevented?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The UK's approach will massively undermine international efforts to curb this. Its crazy that Trump didn't ban travel to and from the UK, when they are the only country in Europe who have decided to allow this become endemic in the population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

We don't live through pandemics every year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Unknown as of yet but probably for periods of time.

SARS could live between 15 minutes and 3 hours on a steel or plastic surface depending on temperature.

Pure horsesh!t. Read a book, paper , internet. Whatever but don't make ascertations witht backing them up.

This is a life and death matter. Be responsible when spreading sh!t.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1228036300583972866?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,805 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its impossible to say that Boris is wrong NOW ,

These things will only be know in a year or two down the line ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

obi604 wrote: »
    what a shower of d1psh1ts

Except the guy with the backwards cap, he's clearly cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

Almost all young people. Many of them won't give two hoots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Phibsboro wrote: »
    I think a lot of people have been thinking what you have just articulated. The purge that would result from allowing the virus run its course would be hugely beneficial to the UK in purely economic terms. They get over it quicker, they are immune so don't need travel restrictions any more, NHS is free of a generation of elderly and long term ill. Do I for a second believe Boris is actually thinking about it in that context? I don't. But I do believe that epidemiologists are pushing him in that direction without making it clear that he can't get herd immunity without an absolute bloodbath among the vulnerable.

Of COURSE he knows. Just doesn't care.

Very handy for the UK, let the vulnerable perish, then when people are poor/angry point at the Chinese...

It's disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well if we do all have it now, then surely that is a good thing, it will mean the death rates will be extremely low.

No, it means it's likely to spike.
    Key is how we behave and think.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dummy_crusher

With

Shouldnt Ireland be:

Total Cases - 70
    Total Deaths - 2
    Total Recovered - 1
    Active cases - 67

Based on what? Could you provide a source if I'm missing something, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

wakka12 wrote: »
    It seems like it would be really rare to get infected from a road or building. I always thought it looked like a huge waste of time and resource disinfecting all the city that way, probably a lot more effective to have somebody going around scrubbing door handles and other things people touch a lot
    Your right, I think that was pretty much all for show.
    Door handle cleaning would help a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

For god sake the people who are advising the UK are top scientists amongst them evolutionary virologists, they don’t want people to die needlessly, they are individuals who are independent, they don’t want a ‘purge’ to take place, if they disagreed with the government they would speak out. Nicola Sturgeon would not stay quiet if she disagreed with boris.

This ‘purge’ theory is cracked, nobody has immunity to this whether rich or poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sigma101

devnull wrote: »
    Looking at things from a UK perspective as that is where I am right now, it seems that they are going for a herd immunity style tactic, which appears to be based on accepting that everyone will get it, which is interesting when there is also a social care crisis ongoing for a number of years which is only going to get worse.

If you were being extremely cynical you would say that if the virus spread through everyone then obviously it's going to hit the weakest and illest in society the hardest and some will unfortunately pass away as they will not be able to fight it off whilst the younger, healthier people will be unscathed.

By the time it's gone through everyone and herd immunity has been achieved, there will be far less ill and weak in society as they would have already have passed away, so the ones who are still alive are going to be far healthier and either immune or effected less by it so the virus will have less effect in the future.

Then you look at the overall crisis in social care and you see that coronavirus had the potential of assisting with bringing the costs of it down. The majority of the people who require social care have serious underlying health issues or are very elderly, the coronavirus has the potential to seriously reduce these numbers if it kills them.

Social care is not the only way that the coronavirus can be an opportunity for the UK Government. It now has the potential of being used as a vehicle to blame all the woes of Brexit on rather than revealing the impact that it has had on the uK. And that's something Cummings won't be able to resist.

All in all, this last few days you've seen the difference between Irish society and British society really shown up, compare the actions of our own Taioseach and the UK's Prime Minister. For all of Leo's critics, he would never act like Johnson and the UK government are now.
    I genuinely believe that nobody, not even Cummings, would be that devious.

Besides, such a policy would only develop a deep and lasting hatred of the Conservative party among the British population.

Also, killing off people who are old and ill doesn’t solve anything – people will continue to get old and to develop illnesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

My boss opened up our local at noon today. 5 waiting outside to get in. Just waiting for us to turn into a childcare facility in the afternoon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

spookwoman wrote: »

Couldn't be further out of touch if he tried.

The UK's approach will massively undermine international efforts to curb this. Its crazy that Trump didn't ban travel to and from the UK, when they are the only country in Europe who have decided to allow this become endemic in the population.

No it won’t estimates of cases and infection rates are higher than we think.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Drumpot wrote: »
    If you are going to be on lockdown for months, I dont think an extra week or two is going to break the back on that lockdown.

We aren’t on lockdown. We’ve just restricted movement. In my opinion it could make a huge difference if we slow this. Scientists all over the world are trying different treatments and hopefully there will be a breakthrough to help treat patients etc.

In my opinion we should be screening and quarantining people coming in from heavily affected regions to slow it down. But we still haven’t done this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Ratio of mild cases to severe/critical has reached 90%. Was initially 80%.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Irans stats are skewing the data. All Irans cases are mild!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Who took the photo? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭facehugger99

robinph wrote: »
    This would be in addition to that existing rate.

Of course, but many of the people that will die from Coronavirus would have probably made up quite a bit of the natural death-rate anyway in a given year.

It will be interesting to track the overall death-rate of the population in general, both nationally and globally, to see what the actual effect of the Coronavirus is.

I would expect it's effect, wrt overall mortality rates, will be very small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

whiskeyman wrote: »
    No, it means it's likely to spike.
    Key is how we behave and think.

Its going spike anyway. The death rate will be tiny though, you cant dispute that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I propose an automatic ban for anyone mentioning Cheltenham,Liverpool or Man Utd in here.

Right then I'll mention Leeds Utd .....16 bleeding years, there's a long running joke among Leeds fans ..............The team will be on the verge of some success and WW3 will break out..........was not far wrong was it, ffs!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Gynoid wrote: »
    Who took the photo? ;)

Internet streaming camera, someone posted the link earlier back in the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Closing the NI border would be a good idea right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from this it is that I had no idea pre CV-19 of how much I actually touch my face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Just went back over my numbers for a UK herd immunity approach. Can someone point out the error if they see it?

UK Population 62,000,000.0
    60% infected 37,200,000.0
    5% need ICU 1,860,000.0
    ICU Bed Weeks needed if 8000 beds 232.5
    ICU Bed Years 4.5

Apologies, missed the reference to the UK in your post.

• Advertisement

SeaBreezes wrote: »

Of COURSE he knows. Just doesn't care.

Very handy for the UK, let the vulnerable perish, then when people are poor/angry point at the Chinese...

It's disgusting.

Ffs sick of reading this conspiracy theory, almost as bad as the bio weapon one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement