Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭jackboy

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Not closing them TEMPORARILY will result in mass deaths.

Maybe. I wonder though would it be more realistic to isolate the over 60’s and everyone else carry on as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Apparently the social-media experts have more knowledge than the chief medical and scientific officers that advise Boris.

Sporting organisations taking matters into their own hands is an indication they are not believing or listening to Boris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Do you have a problem with me requesting him to back up his claim of another death in the country?

It's a fast moving thread. Its pages ago. Dont expect an answer.

He was wrong.

If you cared to read you would note that it has been asked a few times and that it was on various online news sources last night including the independent and then later pulled .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Naggdefy wrote: »
    No one wants to hear about some BS Liverpool/Man Utd etc rivalry.

Anyone who thinks it's great because their rival English football team has an asterisk beside it's title win this year needs more than testing for the Corona virus.

If they don't win it then they don't win it, maybe another 30 years they'll get another chance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Yes please, your finest China.

I'm not sure how a dead wrestler is going to help but ill see what I can do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Anyone who thinks it's great because their rival English football team has an asterisk beside it's title win this year needs more than testing for the Corona virus.

The same idiots complaining about black and tans commemoration support English teams.

https://books.google.ie/books?id=7GJwDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT215&dq=liverpool+black+and+tans&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjnn7WuvJfoAhWPZMAKHf4oB9IQ6AEIJzAA#v=onepage&q=liverpool%20black%20and%20tans&f=false

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Anyone who thinks it's great because their rival English football team

Buffoons that lambaste ''the Brits'' any other chance they get too. Gobshites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Local Aldi yesterday was wiped out of meat, fruit and vegetables, bread and eggs. Yet things like flour, dried fruit and nuts, rice at normal stock levels. Why are people stockpiling perishable goods??

Because people are fooking idiots for the most part.
    Rather buy 10 loaves that have to be frozen than flour to make 40 loaves whenever you need them.
    I thought old thick people were needed to ensure popular Brexit support and that Tories need the older vote.

Now they want to kill them all. Thanks genius.

There is a bit of a myth that all the real old people voted for Brexit.
    The real old ones, especially the ones that fought in the war, were often very anti Brexit.

Also the more I hear and see from freaking Liverpool fans the more I enjoy the other night.
    And contrary to the utterances of a very successful late Liverpool manager, football is not more important than life and death.
    And it's about time some of their fans copped on to that.

It is like the muppets going to Cheltenham for a week on the pi**.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

dougm1970 wrote: »
    can the virus live on roads and building walls ?...i'm asking as i'm thinking about all the disinfectant spraying china does on the streets.

When was the last time you licked a road or a wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

sparkle109 wrote: »
    What border is that? Flights still incoming too.would make zero sense. Plus around the border there are hospital agreements where patients in Donegal can be seen in Derry etc

Because of the UK governments approach to this, coronavirus will become endemic in Northern Ireland. If it becomes endemic in Northern Ireland, it becomes endemic here.

We have seen the consequences of that in Italy- mass deaths among the elderly.

Agreements can be suspended. If a sick Donegal patient goes to a Derry hospital where most medics are CV infected, they will also get it and bring it home to their family.

Southerners will avoid northern Ireland at all costs. And that will lead to a de facto border as bad as anything Brexit could have thrown up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭amacca

Sigma101 wrote: »
    I genuinely believe that nobody, not even Cummings, would be that devious.

Besides, such a policy would only develop a deep and lasting hatred of the Conservative party among the British population.

Also, killing off people who are old and ill doesn’t solve anything – people will continue to get old and to develop illnesses.

Whatever their motivation that appears to be the likely outcome of their actions at this stage

I don't believe they've got it right and I believe their people will suffer because of it.

Perhaps bojo and co will be hung from parliament in the end or the 2021 equivalent.....people tend to lose their sense of perspective when watching loved ones die, moreso if they think it was preventable

I can't believe the UK course of action is correct given what we know about Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong and then compare and contrast with Italy etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

I love the way the media reports on the cases of those infected, as if it’s certain death. It’s probably my association with the word diagnosed. But even still.

I suppose when I hear someone young and fit has it I don't really think of them, just think did the pass it on to more and does that include someone vulnerable. I kinda assume, maybe wrongly, that a pro footballer etc will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

rdwight wrote: »
    If only Sinn Fein were in power in that jurisdiction. Oh wait...

Is this how we might expect SF to behave if they were in power in the republic? Complaining about the government inaction when they are part of the government. I suppose it's a step up from abstaining for three years.
    What a ridiculous post.

How so?

If you watch the clip and read her twitter post you'll see she makes reference to taking to schools and colleges and parents (and presumably Ted Howell) but no reference to having consulted with her coalition partners before making this solo run.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

devnull wrote: »
    Looking at things from a UK perspective as that is where I am right now, it seems that they are going for a herd immunity style tactic,
    Which is daft enough, however that have been a few reports of people, mostly Chinese so far, who have survived the virus, but appear to have been reinfected by it a second time weeks later. Which has led some to suggest it may not cuase a long lasting immune system response in some. Then there are other reports of survivors being left with scarred lungs.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

jackboy wrote: »
    Maybe. I wonder though would it be more realistic to isolate the over 60’s and everyone else carry on as normal.
    So how would that work?

Do you have saga insurance? Yes.
    Do you listen to joe Duffy? Yes.

Quick grab them!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Knex. wrote: »
    Unless you all have separate bathrooms and are super diligent about cleaning down surfaces etc, I'm not sure maintaining a two meter distance is going to cut it.

I gave my lodgers 30 notice, unfortunately i wont e able to accommodate people during this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭ShayNanigan

Well looks like all the schools are not closed. Music schools and other similar educational places still open. You'd think they'd close thinking about the amount of students going in and out for their lessons all day but I guess it's about money.

You'd think many educational institutions and other instances could just switch to teaching online for the time being, Skype lessons etc. I mean, it is 2020. Better that than not having lessons at all or keeping the doors open like nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Sporting organisations taking matters into their own hands is an indication they are not believing or listening to Boris.

So you’re comforted that large organisations can’t be trusted to follow government guidelines and expert scientific opinion. Cool cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Apparently the social-media experts have more knowledge than the chief medical and scientific officers that advise Boris.

Do you know what his advisers are saying? Or do you just have to argue with every point in the thread.

Different countries are taking different approaches. So all the other European advisors? Do you know more than them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

WTF are people dragging sport into this for. Take it to an appropriate forum, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

3 high profile footballers have it of a pool of about a 1000. For me this means the amount of the general population that have it must be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

So you’re comforted that large organisations can’t be trusted to follow government guidelines and expert scientific opinion. Cool cool.

Premier League teams have been impacted, Arsenal Manager diagnosed with it, Leicester and Everton players in isolation. But you'd like it all to carry on regardless. Reckless in the extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Local Aldi yesterday was wiped out of meat, fruit and vegetables, bread and eggs. Yet things like flour, dried fruit and nuts, rice at normal stock levels. Why are people stockpiling perishable goods??

Well, if you have freezer space, meat and bread can both go in there. Eggs can be cracked and frozen too actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Omackeral wrote: »
    Buffoons that lambaste ''the Brits'' any other chance they get too. Gobshites.

This kind of thing keeps getting me thinking about cthal berrys tweet the other day, That our ability to deploy military field hospitals here is ****ed due to cutbacks.

I for one will welcome the British army into the country with their experience in the field if we need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭landofthetree

amacca wrote: »
    Whatever their motivation that appears to be the likely outcome of their actions at this stage

I don't believe they've got it right and I believe their people will suffer because of it.

Perhaps bojo and co will be hung from parliament in the end or the 2021 equivalent.....people tend to lose their sense of perspective when watching loved ones die, moreso if they think it was preventable

I can't believe the UK course of action is correct given what we know about Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong and then compare and contrast with Italy etc

Unless you shut down till a vaccine comes along its pointless.

Its obviously going to start up again the minute restrictions are lifted.

No evidence that it will slow down in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

This is going to become rampant in the UK and Northern Ireland and there is huge back and forth between Ireland and the UK including people who work Monday-Friday in the UK and come back to Ireland for the weekend.

"The CTA was recognised throughout the EU-UK negotiations and there is agreement in the Protocol on Ireland and Northern Ireland which is an integral part of the Withdrawal Agreement, on the basis of which the UK left the European Union on 31 January 2020, that Ireland and the UK may “continue to make arrangements between themselves relating to the movement of persons between their territories”.

Does anyone know if the Common Travel Area have on its terms the possibility of being suspended ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Why are people not wearing masks in Ireland? (very very few anyway)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement