Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

But its not just the elderly who are at risk in the UK, its anyone who is high risk.

I can see thousands of cv infected people fleeing the UK for Ireland and the States. At some stage we will have to restrict travel.

Leo needs to tell Johnson in the strongest possible terms his approach is wrong.

FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Do you know what his advisers are saying? Or do you just have to argue with every point in the thread.

Different countries are taking different approaches. So all the other European advisors? Do you know more than them?

Yeah - try google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    I gave my lodgers 30 notice, unfortunately i wont e able to accommodate people during this
    Sorry what do you mean a 30 notice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Well, if you have freezer space, meat and bread can both go in there. Eggs can be cracked and frozen too actually.

The reality is loads of that stuff will be thrown in the bin over the coming weeks. I highly doubt the panic buying geniuses have secured enough freezer space for all their perishable goods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

cnocbui wrote: »
    WTF are people dragging sport into this for. Take it to an appropriate forum, please.

Maybe because it's actually something factual to talk about for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Why are people not wearing masks in Ireland? (very very few anyway)

Because they are almost useless on their own and our current infection rate is very very low.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Sporting organisations taking matters into their own hands is an indication they are not believing or listening to Boris.

Nope. That is following government guidlines.

Someone in their group has been identified as having it so they are all isolating themselves. The footballers probably spend more time in contact with each other than most people do with their families. Nothing strange about them isolating and nothing going against government advice, it's exactly what they have been told to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Three reasons I can think. Feel free to add.
    1. HSE said they don't work
    2. We don't have any
    3. Those who do have them were embaressed to wear them until yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

cnocbui wrote: »
    WTF are people dragging sport into this for. Take it to an appropriate forum, please.

It's grand to comment on it and give information regarding infections, postponements but this lol United lol Liverpool sh*t is tiresome as f*ck and is the main reason I wouldn't venture near the soccer forum outside of a specific thread or two. These feckers are the exact same as each other anyway. No differences between an Irish ''Manc'' and Irish ''Scouser''. Both Irish, both picked a succesful team from NW England and they both play in red! No difference between them. God it's playground stuff.

Sorry for that rant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Wibbs wrote: »
    Which is daft enough, however that have been a few reports of people, mostly Chinese so far, who have survived the virus, but appear to have been reinfected by it a second time weeks later. Which has led some to suggest it may not cuase a long lasting immune system response in some. Then there are other reports of survivors being left with scarred lungs.

Agreed. Its also highly likely to be seasonal if it becomes endemic. Meaning you could have a different strain next year which might be worse again. So the population will be infected year in year out, putting the elderly at risk every year.

There is no alternative to trying to wipe this out as the Chinese did.

The Brits are coming out looking like idiots from this. Their scientific government advisors are even worse than our own. They are complete charlatans.

• Advertisement

Yeah - try google.

Why are they right but every other country is wrong? South Korea, Taiwan etc who have limited the sprwad of this and also dealt with SARS in a similar manner back in 2003.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Gynoid wrote: »
    Who took the photo? ;)

It says Earth Cam, think that's a webcam site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

The British army tried that during the Troubles and failed hopelessly.

Id say Arlene is looking at our plan and Boris's plan and thinking a united ireland mightnt be a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

My husband has been wearing a ffp3 mask on public transport since Tuesday, but says he hasn’t seen anyone else wearing anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Hearing distant rumours of a state-wide shutdown of non-essential movement.
    Gardai having been released after only part of the Templemore training.

Completely unconfirmed, thought it may be of interest to people.

If true, its on of the appropriate actions for the containment of the virus spread, and a good way to help flatten the curve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The government needs to close pubs.

The younger people clearly don’t give a ****.

They WILL be closed from Monday, despite what that fella just said about a lock down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

namloc1980 wrote:
    Local Aldi yesterday was wiped out of meat, fruit and vegetables, bread and eggs. Yet things like flour, dried fruit and nuts, rice at normal stock levels. Why are people stockpiling perishable goods??[/I]

People are probably just doing a big shopping in advance rather than stock pilling like the walking dead. I went to Aldi today, mayhem like yesterday, but i was able to buy fruit and veggies for a full week. There i no need to stock pile on tin cans so why bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

@phibsboro, go back to your original post, 5% of 3.6 million isn’t 1.8 million. In your later posts you are quoting 5% of 37 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭spookwoman

HSE Briefing
    2 cycles in release of latest infections etc. The reports we get in the evening are from the morning cycle and they say tests turnaround is between 4 to 6 hours rather than days

Sorry had a typo said days rather than hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Spook_ie wrote: »
    If they don't win it then they don't win it, maybe another 30 years they'll get another chance :D

Unfortunately countless people around the world won't get 'another chance'.

Take off your blinkers and try see the bigger picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yeah - try google.

So no, you don't

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

spookwoman wrote: »
    HSE Briefing
    2 cycles in release of latest infections etc. The reports we get in the evening are from the morning cycle and they say tests turnaround is between 4 to 6 days rather than days

It's crazy that the test turnaround times are so long. It suggests the HSE really aren't getting to grips with testing at all.

It's not 4 - 6 hours anyway. I know of a case waiting days rather than hours.

robinph wrote: »
    Nope. That is following government guidlines.

Someone in their group has been identified as having it so they are all isolating themselves. The footballers probably spend more time in contact with each other than most people do with their families. Nothing strange about them isolating and nothing going against government advice, it's exactly what they have been told to do.

The football authorities called off all professional football matches in England and Scotland for a month. That's going a bit further than isolating a few players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Id say Arlene is looking at our plan and Boris's plan and thinking a united ireland mightnt be a bad idea.

I posted this up yesterday,

"This is to me an amazing little side story just unfolding, Unionist and Loyalist commentators saying basically **** what downing street is saying, we are all one island and need to act in unison about school closures etc,

Other unionists disagreed. “Since coronavirus doesn’t give a damn about borders or identities it makes sense for NI to follow immediately,” tweeted Alex Kane, a unionist commentator.

Jamie Bryson, a loyalist blogger, said Northern Ireland had to recognise it shared an open land border with Ireland. “Regardless of the rights or wrongs of that open border, it is a reality. We face a health crisis that could result in deaths of many people. It is sensible to coordinate the approach between both jurisdictions.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Just been told a staff member at local bookies tested positive this morning. That's another thousand or two potential infected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The 5% figure is absolute hore****. Its 5% of confirmed cases, there are thousands of unconfirmed cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Three reasons I can think. Feel free to add.
    1. HSE said they don't work
    2. We don't have any
    3. Those who do have them were embaressed to wear them until yesterday

They are unlikely to work and could at worst be dangerous. The stats from China say 75% of infections came from close family gatherings within the home.

The most likely way to catch CV is from surfaces. So if you touch a surface and then touch your mask to put it on or even adjust it, you have infected the mask. Then when you put it down somewhere else, you have infected that surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭I told ya

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Will Liverpool FC miss out on premiership title then? surely they can't be that ****in unlucky!

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-premier-league-and-all-other-english-football-fixtures-suspended-until-april-11956889

O dear. There's a chap at work I've known for the last 20 years plus. A closet Liverpool fan, well he's just come out. Spent years saying I support the Dubs and Leinster rugby and no one else. Spent years denying he's a Liverpool supporter. Always slagging MU & their supporters, etc. Now he's all over Facebook, etc abusing everyone who doesn't bow down before the Kop.

If they cancel the Premiership it'll be some craic here in the office.

Nothing against Liverpool, the OH is a Scouser and all the inlaws are Red through and through.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

My husband has been wearing a ffp3 mask on public transport since Tuesday, but says he hasn’t seen anyone else wearing anything.

Ridiculous, people naked on public transport, how will that help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Longing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement