Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

What songs should we sing when we are locked at home. It's a overlooked but non the less important decision during this pandemic. Great opportunity to show case Irish unity. �� Naples should have gone for a bit of dean Martin.

Fields of athenry or Irelands call? You decide.

https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/1238446845401149441?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

BloodBath wrote: »
    Because they are almost useless on their own and our current infection rate is very very low.
    24th highest incidence per capita in the world, actually. Go us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

8 new cases in South Africa:
    - a 39-year-old female who had traveled to Switzerland and Austria
    - a 50-year-old male who had traveled to Austria
    ⁃ a 21-year-old female who had traveled to Italy
    ⁃ a 57-year-old male who had traveled to Switzerland
    - a 79-year-old male who had traveled to Greece and Italy
    ⁃ a 52-year-old male who had traveled to Switzerland
    ⁃ a 50-year-old male who had traveled to Switzerland and Austria
    ⁃ a 46-year-old male who had traveled to Italy

Switzerland and Austria are not considered 'high risk' places for tourists but have now each exported dozens of new cases globally. I think in the coming days we will see a lot of the world closing flights to the entirety of the EU like Trump did.

Infections today passed 1000 in Switzerland. Norway has almost 1000 now.
    Portugal, Czech Rep and Kuwait have all passed one hundred cases.
    Slovenia, Brazil, UAE, Iraq and India will soon be the 33rd, 34, 35,36 and 37th countries worldwide to reach 100 cases.

Kazakhstan and Ethiopia report their first cases. The vast majority of the world's countries have now reported cases, at least 125 countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Just been told a staff member at local bookies tested positive this morning. That's another thousand or two potential infected

Shutting down stuff is pointless.

Supermarkets are just giant gatherings now.

Perfect conditions to spread a virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Essentially a machine that does the lung's job for them. Never good, but healthcare professionals are by far the worst at risk.

They're ****ing heroes is what they are. A 30 year old giving her life(hopefully not) for her job, and she won't be the last.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

If you assume a 65% infection rate, that means 110,000 will die in Ireland based on a 3.5% death rate.

Tiny, you say.

65% sounds too bad to be true.

There has to be a certain elasticity around the figures. If only 80,000 Chinese people out of a population of 1.4 billion people have contracted the virus ,that is an infection percentage of less than 1/500 of 1 percent.

I respect that your trying to scare the shight out of everyone, but at least get your facts right.

Before you respond saying that China are liars, lets take Italy's figures.

Population - circa 60 million. number infected 15,000 or .025 % of a percent, not a lot.

Lets assume these percentages are about right, based on current levels around 1,500 people will be infected in Ireland, not 3.5 million as you are suggesting. I will allow you your death rate ( for the moment ) of 3.5 %. That means 53 people could die of Covid 19.

Stop bullshítting and have some respect for people. Posting hysterical garbage is really counterproductive, if you genuinely cared what is happening you would not do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Closing the NI border would be a good idea right now.

Glad I got back over today then before you came to power. It's alright, close it, they have no toilet paper left anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Apparently the social-media experts have more knowledge than the chief medical and scientific officers that advise Boris.

Boris is juggling and unstable economy due to Brexit, and the healthcare of his vulnerable citizens.
    I’m not able to articulate properly the reasons why the economy is also critical in this situation but until late Summer or Autumn we won’t know who’s approach was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Shutting down stuff is pointless.

Supermarkets are just giant gatherings now.

Perfect conditions to spread a virus.

This lad was working in the bookies on Tuesday probably the busiest day of the year. Frightening stuff

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The football authorities called off all professional football matches in England and Scotland for a month. That's going a bit further than isolating a few players.

Yes, but as pointed out by another poster. There is only a limited number of players, they all have very close contact with each other very regularly and mix in the same circles. No different to a multi national company closing down one of its offices after one person gets infected and sending everyone to work from home.

Just a bit tricky to play football remotely so they have cancelled everything as there is no point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭spookwoman

It's crazy that the test turnaround times are so long. It suggests the HSE really aren't getting to grips with testing at all.

It's not 4 - 6 hours anyway. I know of a case waiting days rather than hours.

I believe you and heard of it myself but they naysayers were saying only day before yesterday that tests were not taking days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

This is going to become rampant in the UK and Northern Ireland and there is huge back and forth between Ireland and the UK including people who work Monday-Friday in the UK and come back to Ireland for the weekend.

The UK have screwed the rest of Europe!

The UK could easily get on top of this Wuhan style. Feels like they are making the same mistakes as with Foot & Mouth.

I don't know where these sorts of comments come from. The reported cases in the UK are lower than in much of Europe. The Chief Medical Officer and Deputy Chief Medical Officer have told the government that the best strategy is to delay the spread of coronavirus and manage the peak.

The idea that they are doing nothing is silly. There's no evidence to suggest that closing schools is going to significantly impact the spread. Children are at least risk. If parents have to arrange childcare they might end up infecting elderly people unnecessarily.

Following the best evidence is the right way to go.

They WILL be closed from Monday, despite what that fella just said about a lock down.

Till when?
    April? May? June?

This isnt just going to magically go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    65% sounds too bad to be true.

There has to be a certain elasticity around the figures. If only 80,000 Chinese people out of a population of 1.4 billion people have contracted the virus ,that is an infection percentage of less than 1/500 of 1 percent.

I respect that your trying to scare the shight out of everyone, but at least get your facts right.

Before you respond saying that China are liars, lets take Italy's figures.

Population - circa 60 million. number infected 15,000 or .025 % of a percent, not a lot.

Lets assume these percentages are about right, based on current levels around 1,500 people will be infected in Ireland, not 3.5 million as you are suggesting. I will allow you your death rate ( for the moment ) of 3.5 %. That means 53 people could die of Covid 19.

Stop bullshítting and have some respect for people. Posting hysterical garbage is really counterproductive, if you genuinely cared what is happening you would not do this.

If allowed spread unchecked. You missed that key part.

If checked and controlled the spread will be miniscule.

Apparently the social-media experts have more knowledge than the chief medical and scientific officers that advise Boris.

Boris is juggling an unstable economy due to Brexit, and the healthcare of his vulnerable citizens.
    I’m not able to articulate properly the reasons why the economy is also critical in this situation but until late Summer or Autumn we won’t know who’s approach was correct.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Till when?
    April? May? June?

This isnt just going to magically go away.

No one thinks it’s going to go away.

It’s about spreading it out over as large a time frame as possible, to manage it. Not prevent it. Not stop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

robinph wrote: »
    Yes, but as pointed out by another poster. There is only a limited number of players, they all have very close contact with each other very regularly and mix in the same circles. No different to a multi national company closing down one of its offices after one person gets infected and sending everyone to work from home.

Just a bit tricky to play football remotely so they have cancelled everything as there is no point.

They should supply them all with a copy of FIFA 20 and let them play remotely. Problem solved :)

I don't know where these sorts of comments come from. The reported cases in the UK are lower than in much of Europe. The Chief Medical Officer and Deputy Chief Medical Officer have told the government that the best strategy is to delay the spread of coronavirus and manage the peak.

The idea that they are doing nothing is silly. There's no evidence to suggest that closing schools is going to significantly impact the spread. Children are at least risk. If parents have to arrange childcare they might end up infecting elderly people unnecessarily.

Neither choice will have much impact.

We are just gambling that it will tail off in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Apalled at the reports Johnson is to allow spread to create 'herd immunity'?

Herd immunity is something you hope will develop naturally in the future, not something you actively seek by encouraging the spread of a disease.

The Tories really are evil bastards. Johnson, Cummings et all seemingly prepared to twist anything to their purposes, up to and including a deadly a virus.

The North have to unilaterally take their own steps to combat this if London dithers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

What’s this twitter video about the army being deployed and the country ****down is it real?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Children dropping like flies (with coughs and fever) in my class in London. Some even being sent to school sick. Getting the rest of the children to wash there hands as much as possible. Not much else can be done unfortunately.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Has to be the Clayton

zpSaq6u

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Boggles wrote: »
    If asking people to social distance is not working, they will be told soon enough.

As Fry would say, That's not soon enough.
    jackboy wrote: »
    Closing pubs and restaurants will lead to mass job losses.

As a bartender I have no fear of losing my job. My employer might lose his pub, but I doubt it, but someone will own it when things go back to normal and people will want pints and I'll be paid to pour them. It'll hurt my pocket in the short term but rather that than my lungs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Their approach is to encourage herd immunity.

https://www.ft.com/content/38a81588-6508-11ea-b3f3-fe4680ea68b5

That means allowing the gradual infection of as many people as possible so that once they are infected they become immune to it.

Problem is while most people will get a mild dose, for a significant minority it could be potentially lethal.

As for children, they are least of risk of serious consequences but most at risk of spreading it due to lack of obvious symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

spookwoman wrote: »
    HSE Briefing
    2 cycles in release of latest infections etc. The reports we get in the evening are from the morning cycle and they say tests turnaround is between 4 to 6 days rather than days

4-6 Days????? Where you getting that from? Thought the standard turnaround time was 24 hours give or take a few. 48 even, but 4-6 days?
    You will be assessed and tested quickly, he said, and test results will be available with 24 hours.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0226/1117632-coronavirus-ireland/

Someone is telling porkies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,141 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Just been told a staff member at local bookies tested positive this morning. That's another thousand or two potential infected

Not at all : scientists reckon that the average infected person might pass it on to two or three people at most (and that's with close contact, not a ten second encounter).

Yes exactly, most of my colleagues children are with grandparents today.
    The posters on this thread aren’t a reflection of the working class.
    I have no option only to be in work, that may change, but as of today I’m in work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They are unlikely to work and could at worst be dangerous. The stats from China say 75% of infections came from close family gatherings within the home.

The most likely way to catch CV is from surfaces. So if you touch a surface and then touch your mask to put it on or even adjust it, you have infected the mask. Then when you put it down somewhere else, you have infected that surface.
    This type of mask with the right filters work and hugely mitigate the risk of breathing in viruses, or for that matter spreading them to others. It's what researchers wear in viral hotzones around the world.

s-l1000.jpg

This type don't. For a start a thick scarf wrapped around your face would give a better seal.

dustmask.jpg

They appear to be of help with those already infected as they limit the amount and distance travelled of any snotters they cough up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Their approach is to encourage herd immunity.

https://www.ft.com/content/38a81588-6508-11ea-b3f3-fe4680ea68b5

That means allowing the gradual infection of as many people as possible so that once they are infected they become immune to it.

Problem is while most people will get a mild dose, for a significant minority it could be potentially lethal.

It is going to spread. So the best thing to do is manage the spread so that the medical services can cope. That's the advice they have been given by the professionals. I'm happy to stick with that as opposed to online critics claiming they should do a load of unnecessary and fruitless things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

More horse****. You are welcome for my time that I used to protect people who may believe your uniformed ramblings.

https://twitter.com/NAChristakis/status/1235204448101830656?s=20

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement