Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

biggebruv wrote: »
    What’s this twitter video about the army being deployed and the country ****down is it real?

Extra gardai are being deployed across the country. The army will probably be next.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ITman88 wrote: »
    Yes exactly, most of my colleagues children are with grandchildren today.
    The posters on this thread aren’t a reflection of the working class.
    I have no option only to be in work, that may change, but as of today I’m in work.
    +1. I get the impression that many commenting don't have kids or know people who have kids well enough. I'm in the no kids camp, but I am very well aware of how this is affecting my friends who do and like you say it's grannies and granddads often taking up the slack for working parents.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Spain really going Italy route

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

spookwoman wrote: »
    HSE Briefing
    2 cycles in release of latest infections etc. The reports we get in the evening are from the morning cycle and they say tests turnaround is between 4 to 6 days rather than days

This means we might only be a week or just a bit more from Italy . . :(

Id say they are expecting a massive surge in the next week or so.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭1641

Agreed. Its also highly likely to be seasonal if it becomes endemic. Meaning you could have a different strain next year which might be worse again. So the population will be infected year in year out, putting the elderly at risk every year.

There is no alternative to trying to wipe this out as the Chinese did.

The Brits are coming out looking like idiots from this. Their scientific government advisors are even worse than our own. They are complete charlatans.

The different approaches to tackling the epidemic show how little is really known about it yet. Will it mutate and become endemic or will the infected largely develop immunity? There doesn't seem to enough evidence to decide.

The Brit scientists clearly thing that immunity will follow infection and their strategy is built around developing population level herd immunity while protecting the elderly/vulnerable by keeping them indoors during the peak 8 weeks of infection. Whether they are right or wrong time will tell. Worrying that approaches are so divergent, though.
    https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-13/uk-s-chief-scientific-adviser-tells-itv-news-he-hopes-government-s-approach-to-coronavirus-will-create-herd-immunity/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Apalled at the reports Johnson is to allow spread to create 'herd immunity'?

Herd immunity is something you hope will develop naturally in the future, not something you actively seek by encouraging the spread of a disease.

The Tories really are evil bastards. Johnson, Cummings et all seemingly prepared to twist anything to their purposes, up to and including a deadly a virus.

The North have to unilaterally take their own steps to combat this if London dithers.

Nearly All countries are taking the same approach. Shutting schools is the easy option and government offices as they will have little economic effect compared to private sector businesses. I'd even go as far to say some government want a fast rate of spread, merkel etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

This neighbourhood went with the national anthem. And what a national anthem it is! #whynot

https://twitter.com/mirkocalemme/status/1238440905251659777?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

venusdoom wrote: »
    I really don't think so when it come to creches. As a former Early childhood worker, I know no matter how many times the staff clean and sterilise, sickness and viruses spread like wildfire in a creche setting. I myself picked up something from the creche in my last pregnancy which was very dangerous to my unborn child . Think of all the kids that are sneezing, spewing everywhere, babies crawling around teething and drooling on toys and then other children picking up that same toy. As well, a lot of grandparents do the creche pick ups. I've said this in another thread, but I'm glad they've closed them along with the schools.

Spot on. I picked my daughter up from after-school the other day and the fetid, warm atmosphere in there almost made me gag. I thought why don't they open a bloody window? I suppose being a relatively modern building with heat recovery etc they're relying on mechanical ventilation. Give me the old fashioned way of providing air changes any day.

• Advertisement

With https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Shouldnt Ireland be:

Total Cases - 70
    Total Deaths - 2
    Total Recovered - 1
    Active cases - 67

The weekly list I’ve been doing is going to get more complicated as the weeks go on. I also type it on my phone and swapping to full site to make a table would be worse than getting the virus!

I don’t want to stop doing it but I do like your above idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I have a feeling that one of my housemates don't wash her hands after going to the toilet. She be out the door as soon as the toilet is flushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

spookwoman wrote: »
    HSE Briefing
    2 cycles in release of latest infections etc. The reports we get in the evening are from the morning cycle and they say tests turnaround is between 4 to 6 days rather than days
    the other day there were saying it would be no more then 48 hours

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,414 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Please do not post details of any individual cases that are not already being reported in the media/via reliable sources such as the HSE/Government

Information a doctor, hospital worker or even someone gossiping about individual cases is not for public consumption - please have consideration for family and friends of people who may be affected (as well as the individuals affected)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

wakka12 wrote: »
    2000 cases in Madrid alone

Lack of testing in Ireland only has our numbers as low as they are.

I find it funny that our journalists and commentators slag off Trump for his claims on the availability of testing when it's nearly impossible to get one over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,335 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

YFlyer wrote: »
    I have a feeling that one of my housemates don't wash her hands after going to the toilet. She be out the door as soon as the toilet is flushed.

Maybe she didn't flush the toilet until she was leaving. It doesn't mean she didn't wash her hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    65% sounds too bad to be true.

There has to be a certain elasticity around the figures. If only 80,000 Chinese people out of a population of 1.4 billion people have contracted the virus ,that is an infection percentage of less than 1/500 of 1 percent.

I respect that your trying to scare the shight out of everyone, but at least get your facts right.

Before you respond saying that China are liars, lets take Italy's figures.

Population - circa 60 million. number infected 15,000 or .025 % of a percent, not a lot.

Lets assume these percentages are about right, based on current levels around 1,500 people will be infected in Ireland, not 3.5 million as you are suggesting. I will allow you your death rate ( for the moment ) of 3.5 %. That means 53 people could die of Covid 19.

Stop bullshítting and have some respect for people. Posting hysterical garbage is really counterproductive, if you genuinely cared what is happening you would not do this.

This post is rubbish. All of your figures are assuming we are at the end of this in Italy? And China for that matter? Did you miss the part where wuhan (and now Italy) completely shutdown for weeks? It's not hysterical or rubbish to suggest a large proportion of the population could be infected and therefore immense numbers could die; especially when our nearest neighbour (with which we share a border) have decided to deliberately go down that precise route.

The only obvious way to mitigate this outcome at the moment is an Italian style shutdown for a period of time. The world is changing, some have yet to accept that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

From those I know if both parents work one is staying home now to mind children, after holiday leave is used up it will be unpaid, thus one wage down. If place I work closes, which is not unlikely, there will be no pay for any of us. There should be some sort of UBI subsistence plan put in place now if there are going to be serious shut downs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

More horse****. You are welcome for my time that I used to protect people who may believe your uniformed ramblings.

https://twitter.com/NAChristakis/status/1235204448101830656?s=20

Would you like to explain why you think the Spanish Flu and Coronavirus are directly comparable?

Again. I'm happy to stick to what the experts are advising here. I don't think having a load of children at home with grandparents would necessarily help the spread.

Shouldnt Ireland be:

Total Cases - 70
    Total Deaths - 2
    Total Recovered - 1
    Active cases - 67

The weekly list I’ve been doing is going to get more complicated as the weeks go on. I also type it on my phone and swapping to full site to make a table would be worse than getting the virus!

I don’t want to stop doing it but I do like your above idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

It's impossible to get tested. My son has come down with an uncontrollable fever and we live in an area with a number of confirmed cases. He is coughing and wheezing like there's no tomorrow. He isn't asthmatic or anything. I've rang the HSE three times since yesterday and they are saying that they are ONLY testing people who have been in contact with a confirmed case. However, we were with ppl who had come from locked down areas of different countries last weekend. I've phoned them and they're well but I've a horrible feeling that this isn't just a normal cold. Given a number of people in our community are in hospital with Covid-19, it's not unreasonable to think he possibly came into contact with them somewhere at some stage. We live in a close knit area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

They are unlikely to work and could at worst be dangerous. The stats from China say 75% of infections came from close family gatherings within the home.

The most likely way to catch CV is from surfaces. So if you touch a surface and then touch your mask to put it on or even adjust it, you have infected the mask. Then when you put it down somewhere else, you have infected that surface.

Masks do work. The principal form of transmission is thought to be person to person via airborne droplets, not from surfaces. A mask will stop these or at the very least, reduce ones chances of being infected by five fold.

Masks would only be ineffective for people too stupid to realise they need to wash their hands after removing a mask that has successfully intercepted contaminated droplets.

Shouldnt Ireland be:

Total Cases - 70
    Total Deaths - 2
    Total Recovered - 1
    Active cases - 67
    interesting to see we've got more cases then UK per population, 14.2 vs 9.0 (as ever testing is a ?)

It's impossible to get tested. My son has come down with an uncontrollable fever and we live in an area with a number of confirmed cases. He is coughing and wheezing like there's no tomorrow. He isn't asthmatic or anything. I've rang the HSE three times since yesterday and they are saying that they are ONLY testing people who have been in contact with a confirmed case. However, we were with ppl who had come from locked down areas of different countries last weekend. I've phoned them and they're well but I've a horrible feeling that this isn't just a normal cold.
    what age is he?

Beasty wrote: »
    Please do not post details of any individual cases that are not already being reported in the media/via reliable sources such as the HSE/Government

Information a doctor, hospital worker or even someone gossiping about individual cases is not for public consumption - please have consideration for family and friends of people who may be affected (as well as the individuals affected)

This x1000

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

When are we expecting the next official update on total cases? Usually late enough in the day I think is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Spain really going Italy route

Yep - it is with these figures that Italian hospitals started to malfunction. Probably expect an Italia style lockdown in Spain before the end of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,327 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Screenshot-20200313-125027.jpg

Looks like Sweden are taking a leaf out of our book, idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Maybe she didn't flush the toilet until she was leaving. It doesn't mean she didn't wash her hands.

Maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Beasty wrote: »

I dont agree with this .

people posting about themselves possibly having the virus is helpful to gauge what is going on.

Reporting on rumours I would agree.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement