Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Scary how this disease takes a hold so quickly and silently and then just explodes out of literally nowhere. Spain had it's first known cases of community transmission less than two weeks ago, now theres talk of a national lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cnbyz

how come India have so few cases ? Its not exactly the best place for hygiene is it ? (sorry but thats a known fact)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

While we are spouting the same bollocks over and over, I also hear the Clayton hotel on Pierce Street is full of cases

Suit cases?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,414 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Another point to mention specific to the Irish figures

The only place I have seen 2 deaths noted is in this thread. I have done searches and it appears that some reports of the first death were mistakenly assumed to be a second death. Someone in Naas has also been mentioned. This has not been reported. Please bear in mind that, unfortunately, people die every day and in the current climate people can very easily put 2 and 2 together and get 5.

I have said previously there is almost certainly some delay in the release of figures. Please stick to the "official" figures as posting stuff you think you "know" can only cause confusion when most people do rely on official communications, and indeed helps create inaccurate rumours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Fever, dry cough and shortness of breath appear to be the main symptoms.

The shortness of breath seems to become a symptom as it worsens so might not experience it early on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

cnbyz wrote: »
    how come India have so few cases ? Its not exactly the best place for hygiene is it ? (sorry but thats a known fact)

who is going to test people in the slums?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

That army thing is a load of bollox. Some clown now spreading voice clips around wotsap pretending to be in army. Should lock these loony bins up in a padded cell.

Its a disgrace Joe!

1123heavy wrote: »
    Army shutdown of the country from Monday. Taoiseach will make announcement early Monday morning. Everything closed except shops on a restricted basis. No one going to/from work except those with special permission.

Basically Italy. This is the reason the army have been drafted, Garda do not have resources to police such a scenario.

Any sources you are hearing this from?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

If allowed spread unchecked. You missed that key part.

If checked and controlled the spread will be miniscule.

I respect that. But there will be a middle ground. Far too many people posting garbage with the intention of whipping up fear. It annoys me.

Well cases are growing there, its over 80 now and they had 1 or 2 a few days ago

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Simply take over Hotels . Im sure they are pretty empty and the Government could rent them off the industry.

Looks like that is on the cards.

University accommodation will be commandeered too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Pure horsesh!t. Read a book, paper , internet. Whatever but don't make ascertations witht backing them up.

This is a life and death matter. Be responsible when spreading sh!t.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1228036300583972866?s=20

mmm ....i wonder what about cardboard ?...wondering if it could live on next day postal deliveries etc.

Where is this? No mention on DF own FB page.

It's from fake news circulating on WhatsApp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Changed the orig post to 4-6 hours sorry about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Any sources you are hearing this from?

His own hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

lfen wrote: »
    Says who?

I'v reported his post. No time for unfounded rumours that can be dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

More horse****. You are welcome for my time that I used to protect people who may believe your uniformed ramblings.

https://twitter.com/NAChristakis/status/1235204448101830656?s=20

This kind of fail science doesn't help at all.

The Spannish flu killed young people and is not comparable to covid at all.

They aren't going to be testing. At this point the daily number of cases means very little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I've not seen any mention of it living or for how long on soft/porous surfaces, only hard. Would anyone have any insight?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    No testing policy??? IDIOTS

What is the benefits of testing the general population when you are assuming that 80% are going to get it?

Really doesn't matter if there are loads of people with coughs self isolating at home until they get better. You only need to know about the serious cases needing medical intervention so that you can do the right kinds of intervention.

• Advertisement

1123heavy wrote: »
    Army shutdown of the country from Monday. Taoiseach will make announcement early Monday morning. Everything closed except shops on a restricted basis. No one going to/from work except those with special permission.

Basically Italy. This is the reason the army have been drafted, Garda do not have resources to police such a scenario.

Nonsense, I live 10 yards from a barracks and chatted to some I knew. They're being told to be prepared/on standby. There's no panic. Although if I get a heads up from any of them I'll be keeping it to myself. :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

namloc1980 wrote: »
    They aren't going to be testing. At this point the daily number of cases means very little.

True, China wasn't able to test the majority of suspected cases at the very height of the outbreak over there.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,414 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

MD1990 wrote: »
    I dont agree with this .

people posting about themselves possibly having the virus is helpful to gauge what is going on.

Reporting on rumours I would agree.
    Firstly do not respond to mod warnings in thread - PM the mod to discuss

Secondly I did not say people could not talk about their own experiences

Any questions, PM me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Italy is the only country in Europe who has a chance to reverse their situation
    France, Spain, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland look really bad, what restrictions have they implemented?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    65% sounds too bad to be true.

There has to be a certain elasticity around the figures. If only 80,000 Chinese people out of a population of 1.4 billion people have contracted the virus ,that is an infection percentage of less than 1/500 of 1 percent.

I respect that your trying to scare the shight out of everyone, but at least get your facts right.

Before you respond saying that China are liars, lets take Italy's figures.

Population - circa 60 million. number infected 15,000 or .025 % of a percent, not a lot.

Lets assume these percentages are about right, based on current levels around 1,500 people will be infected in Ireland, not 3.5 million as you are suggesting. I will allow you your death rate ( for the moment ) of 3.5 %. That means 53 people could die of Covid 19.

Stop bullshítting and have some respect for people. Posting hysterical garbage is really counterproductive, if you genuinely cared what is happening you would not do this.

I'm not going to argue with you if you have that kind of a grasp of figures. You're right and I'm wrong.

However, you appear to have confused 0.025 with 0.025%. That's a big difference.

I like your username btw.

https://www.rtvslo.si/zdravje/novi-koronavirus/do-14-ure-potrjenih-141-okuzb-opravljenih-4346-testiranj/517068
    Almost 50 new cases in Slovenia, total 141 now.

Almost 200 new cases in netherlands and 5 deaths

Europe has reported over 2500 new cases already today, excluding France and Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    This post is rubbish. All of your figures are assuming we are at the end of this in Italy? And China for that matter? Did you miss the part where wuhan (and now Italy) completely shutdown for weeks? It's not hysterical or rubbish to suggest a large proportion of the population could be infected and therefore immense numbers could die; especially when our nearest neighbour (with which we share a border) have decided to deliberately go down that precise route.

The only obvious way to mitigate this outcome at the moment is an Italian style shutdown for a period of time. The world is changing, some have yet to accept that.

Your speculative worst case scenario rubbish is just that, rubbish and is only making the situation worse. Mods need to start handing out bans for this kind of crap. The situation is serious enough as it is. You are having a direct impact on some peoples mental health.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Hookers have been told to WFH.
    And practice social distancing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

More horse****. You are welcome for my time that I used to protect people who may believe your uniformed ramblings.

https://twitter.com/NAChristakis/status/1235204448101830656?s=20

Christakis talks about the evidence for school closure on the Sam Harris podcast as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

what age is he?

Nearly 8

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement