Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

flynnlives wrote: »
    source?

Irish Mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Von der Leyen on behalf of the EU: “We are absolutely ready to help Italy with whatever is necessary”.

When Italy asks for masks and ventilators is she going answer this is not the kind of “whatever” she was talking about? :-)

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1254817/EU-coronavirus-latest-news-european-union-state-aid-Ursula-von-der-Leyen-update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

cnocbui wrote: »
    Masks do work. The principal form of transmission is thought to be person to person via airborne droplets, not from surfaces. A mask will stop these or at the very least, reduce ones chances of being infected by five fold.

Masks would only be ineffective for people too stupid to realise they need to wash their hands after removing a mask that has successfully intercepted contaminated droplets.

You better start wearing goggles then as well. A mask on it's own is not going to do a whole lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

HSE currently in the process of identifying sites in order to bring 10,000 extra beds into the health system. Yikes.
    I think this has been going on for a while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

source?

Listen to the news. It was discussed on RTE Radio News at One.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

cnocbui wrote: »
    Irish Mirror.

so its bull**** so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Italy is the only country in Europe who has a chance to reverse their situation
    France, Spain, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland look really bad, what restrictions have they implemented?

Germany's death rate is on a par with the flu at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cnbyz

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Hookers have been told to WFH.
    And practice social distancing.
    seriously though whats going to happen to them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I finally seem to be kicking this bug. I rarely get sick and usually of I do I shake it off quickly. Been ****ed for weeks with this. Chest loosened and pulse no longer so elevated.

Apparently in Limerick there is a strain of flu (flu B) doing the rounds that is producing similar symptoms so lots of people worrying that they have coronavirus in fact have this. So it's probably that. But my two year old is grand and my wife had it two weeks before me, and I don't know where else I might have caught it, so I still wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

robinph wrote: »
    What is the benefits of testing the general population when you are assuming that 80% are going to get it?

Really doesn't matter if there are loads of people with coughs self isolating at home until they get better. You only need to know about the serious cases needing medical intervention so that you can do the right kinds of intervention.

Assessing the situation is key. No need to test the general population, but you need to test people who in contact with infected cases
    I agree on self isolating as the most effective measure, but is Sweden on a lock down mode? do they know if the measurements taken are effective?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Carbon125

dougm1970 wrote: »
    mmm ....i wonder what about cardboard ?...wondering if it could live on next day postal deliveries etc.
    Only 24 hours on cardboard.

3 days on plastic or stainless steel.

4 hours on copper.

3 hours in airborne particles.

All according to the New England Journal of Medicine. Link:
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.09.20033217v1.full.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

d51984 wrote: »
    That army thing is a load of bollox. Some clown now spreading voice clips around wotsap pretending to be in army. Should lock these loony bins up in a padded cell.
    Unpadded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,595 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Phibsboro wrote: »
    I think a lot of people have been thinking what you have just articulated. The purge that would result from allowing the virus run its course would be hugely beneficial to the UK in purely economic terms. They get over it quicker, they are immune so don't need travel restrictions any more, NHS is free of a generation of elderly and long term ill. Do I for a second believe Boris is actually thinking about it in that context? I don't. But I do believe that epidemiologists are pushing him in that direction without making it clear that he can't get herd immunity without an absolute bloodbath among the vulnerable.

We share a border with the UK, If their plan is to let it spread, and our plan is to delay it from peaking, at some stage we're going to get to a point where the border between Ireland and NI becomes an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

wylo wrote: »

On a par with flu this week, or the whole year?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭I told ya

1123heavy wrote: »
    Army shutdown of the country from Monday. Taoiseach will make announcement early Monday morning. Everything closed except shops on a restricted basis. No one going to/from work except those with special permission.

Basically Italy. This is the reason the army have been drafted, Garda do not have resources to police such a scenario.

If the army are called out it will only be a token presence. They don't have the numbers and the Reserve/FCA are more or less non-exsistant. It will all depend on the public co-operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

HSE currently in the process of identifying sites in order to bring 10,000 extra beds into the health system. Yikes.

Honestly. I would be more worried if they where not planning for such a scenario.

Prepare for the worst and scale down from there. Dont prepare for the least and scale up.

I bet the HSE and various gov departments are prepping lots of scary sounding plans for various outcomes "just in case"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

wylo wrote: »

So everything is normal in German then, great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

so its bull**** so.

Irish Times also. Seems you spoke too soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Bob24 wrote: »
    Von der Leyen on behalf of the EU: “We are absolutely ready to help Italy with whatever is necessary”.

When Italy asks for masks and ventilators is she going answer this is not the kind of “whatever” she was talking about? :-)

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1254817/EU-coronavirus-latest-news-european-union-state-aid-Ursula-von-der-Leyen-update

The EU is getting a lot of s**t on its social media pages from disgruntled Italians.. I don't blame them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Oh my God, I thought idiocy like this had gone to ground.

I dunnnno whatyer talkin about bowel cancer being dangerous. My uncle Jimmy had an operation for that and he been fine feetle for 20 years since then. Media hysteria says it's dangerous but my Jimmy is living proof that it's nert.

What on earth are you waffling on about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,366 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Looks packed again at Cheltenham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

BloodBath wrote: »
    You better start wearing goggles then as well. A mask on it's own is not going to do a whole lot.

Goggles are of course required for better protection. And a sealed protective suit for full protection.

But it doesn’t mean a respirator on its own is useless - far from it.

Also when everyone wears masks (even simple surgical ones) it has a huge effect as it prevents sick people from spitting out the virus. Including people who are infected but unaware of it.

IMO this had a significant impact to slow down propagation in some Asian countries.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

People are dreaming if they think shutting down for a few weeks will stop it. We would have to shut down till a vaccine comes along.

This is way too much of a common misconception. I really think people don't listen or something, crying out that it wont be cured or stopped in a few weeks with shutdowns.

Closing schools etc isn't to cure the virus or to stop it in it's tracks. It's to prevent a higher amount of people contracting it at the same time, putting too much pressure on our already fragile health system. They know people will get it regardless, but at a slower rate that will leviate the pressures on health workers.

• Looks packed again at Cheltenham.

It's well and truly a fascinating case of dangerous stupidly from the top down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Simply take over Hotels . Im sure they are pretty empty and the Government could rent them off the industry.

A room in the Shelbourne sounds nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,090 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Looks packed again at Cheltenham.

Well they were hardly going to find a braincell overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Looks like that is on the cards.

University accommodation will be commandeered too.

The money would cover Staff costs for the hotel while the staff are at home.

Maldron Hotel Parnell Square - 182 rooms

Jurys Parnell Street - 253 rooms

Theres loads more which I would think are going to be pretty empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I think it is a bit mad to have school and creche closures, while at the same time allowing packed pubs and clubs. A packed small pub may have less than 100 people but they will be closely packed for several hours.
    If the chaos caused by school closures is warranted then all gatherings should be looked at.

Pupils may be able to absorb a 2 week closure but any longer will put preparation for state exams in jeopardy. How will Universities decide on admission next September. Online teaching is not a runner.

Would it not have been possible to allow schools to stay open for leaving certs. Schools would not be crowded, hygiene could be insisted on etc

Maybe the Brits have the right idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,142 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It should be stressed though the HSE are by no means anticipating 10k cases, that would be an absolute worst case scenario but which they have to legislate for.

I watched the HSE press conference : they say the aim is to keep it down to around 1000 cases over five weeks (an average of 200 a week). They think without the partial lockdown, it could be at least double this for the first few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Bob24 wrote: »

“The single market has to function,” she said.

“It is not good when a member state takes unilateral action. I have seen travel bans and controls put in place. But let’s look together… certain controls may be justified but action has to be proportionate.”

Once again the market comes before everything...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement