Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I finally seem to be kicking this bug. I rarely get sick and usually of I do I shake it off quickly. Been ****ed for weeks with this. Chest loosened and pulse no longer so elevated.

Apparently in Limerick there is a strain of flu (flu B) doing the rounds that is producing similar symptoms so lots of people worrying that they have coronavirus in fact have this. So it's probably that. But my two year old is grand and my wife had it two weeks before me, and I don't know where else I might have caught it, so I still wonder.

Good you are on the mend, but as you don't know if it was flu or corona take it easy so you don't pick up the other one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Last week we passed the 100k cases worldwide
    We'll pass 150K by end of this week, early next week
    it's moving really fast, these figures are crazy high

The numbers are starting to mean less and less. Sweden are going to stop reporting numbers. The USA is not doing any widespread testing. Assumption now must be that the virus is very widespread and people just need to assume it is endemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Honestly. I would be more worried if they where not planning for such a scenario.

Prepare for the worst and scale down from there. Dont prepare for the least and scale up.

I bet the HSE and various gov departments are prepping lots of scary sounding plans for various outcomes "just in case"
    Exactly.
    OPW also been involved makes perfect sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

flynnlives wrote: »
    so its bull**** so.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1238374335724892161?s=20
    was up this morning on rte but its gone now off their site. Still showing on the internet as cached
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0313/1122004-coronavirus-ireland-health/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,595 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Italian grandmother advice. Very good (and funny)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The army would struggle to shutdown a laptop.

Stop spouting sh;te.

The rumours that the army will impose a lockdown etc are completely untrue. However, there is no call to criticise the army. They are likely to be very useful in getting urgent supplies to elderly people in remote locations, responding to things like storm damage, flooding etc and can in an emergency situation provide aid to the civil authority which in practical term would mean Army drivers being brought in to replace garda drivers etc. Nothing dramatic, but the army would still provide a vital role and could save lives. Not something to be derided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

gmisk wrote: »
    Popped into Marks and Spencer on Grafton street at about 815 pretty dead, a decent amount of stuff still available they seem to be furiously stacking shelves so clearly tonnes of stock.

Yeah thats because what you spend on a week shop in there would get you 3 weeks in the likes of tesco/supervalue etc :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭Christy42

joe40 wrote: »
    I think it is a bit mad to have school and creche closures, while at the same time allowing packed pubs and clubs. A packed small pub may have less than 100 people but they will be closely packed for several hours.
    If the chaos caused by school closures is warranted then all gatherings should be looked at.

Pupils may be able to absorb a 2 week closure but any longer will put preparation for state exams in jeopardy. How will Universities decide on admission next September. Online teaching is not a runner.

Would it not have been possible to allow schools to stay open for leaving certs. Schools would not be crowded, hygiene could be insisted on etc

Maybe the Brits have the right idea.

I have heard rumours of the junior cert being cancelled to allow the leaving cert students double the room to take the exams.

Not saying it will happen but that it isn't a bad idea whether or not it is false. I definitely can't verify it as truth but the idea is nice.

As for pubs vs schools. There is a difference between telling people they have to meet up in groups and going all out to stop them meeting in groups.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Assessing the situation is key. No need to test the general population, but you need to test people who in contact with infected cases
    I agree on self isolating as the most effective measure, but is Sweden on a lock down mode? do they know if the measurements taken are effective?

They are assessing the situation as being very bad and that they need the testing resources to be used elsewhere on the health services and people who are badly ill. It really doesn't matter now if you have 1000, 10000, or 1 million people infected in the population and getting over it at home and self isolating. All that matters is dealing with those who are severely affected and keeping those who are looking after them in good health.

Thanks to China, Singapore, Italy etc there is already the basic statistics on how it spreads amongst the population under different circumstances. Total infection rate can be estimated in a couple of years time for the purposes of figuring out what different viruses do. For now, who cares if a load of people have a cough and recover, just assume they have it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Netherlands: +190 cases/+5 deaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

And they only stayed alive by other people posting. Some posts were even novel.

A Symbiotic relationship then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

wylo wrote: »
    Germany's death rate is on a par with the flu at the moment though.

Is it though? Or are lies being told. Or more likely the figures aren't directly comparable.

If a patient presents with covid19 and becomes very weak and acquires pneumonia through a secondary infection of a strep bacteria.

The patient then dies. Did they die of a strep infection or of covid 19.

I'm told in Germany they would be written down as dieing of a strep infection while in Italy they would be said to have died from covid 19.

Im not saying the German situation isn't a lot better than the Italian one but I'm not certain that the figures are directly comparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,894 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I see the Czech Republic and Slovakia have decided to start closing their borders ignoring EU advice to maintain open borders.

Hard to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

spookwoman wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1238374335724892161?s=20
    was up this morning on rte but its gone now off their site. Still showing on the internet as cached
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0313/1122004-coronavirus-ireland-health/

Guardian were reporting it earlier as well.

TBH I don't know why some people see it as a bad thing, they're just trying to prepare for a worst case scenario. Isn't that a positive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Do you know what his advisers are saying? Or do you just have to argue with every point in the thread.

Different countries are taking different approaches. So all the other European advisors? Do you know more than them?

Just remember Cummins is a loon and couldn't give two shytes about anyone.
    And he is one of the closest advisors to johnson.
    He is the type of muppet that wants a Year Zero.
    wakka12 wrote: »
    2000 cases in Madrid alone

Watch the infection rate in Merseyside go up in the next week.
    1123heavy wrote: »
    Army shutdown of the country from Monday. Taoiseach will make announcement early Monday morning. Everything closed except shops on a restricted basis. No one going to/from work except those with special permission.

Basically Italy. This is the reason the army have been drafted, Garda do not have resources to police such a scenario.

This crisis is going to highlight how cr** our health service is, but also how pi**poor our military, security services are as well.
    And that is all down to successive governments, all politicians and indeed the voters who have never really cared.

Eventually you will find full martial law declared in some countries to try control people.
    At the moment people are willingly going into lockdown, part of it through fear and part probably as a bit of break from work, etc.

But when more and more people get it, deaths mount up and things become scare or difficult to get, then you are going to get towards riots.

And we don't have the manpower or the balls to take the tough measures.
    HSE currently in the process of identifying sites in order to bring 10,000 extra beds into the health system. Yikes.

This should have been done weeks ago not starting now.
    You should always prepare for the worst.

Like everything else we fooking do in this country we sleepwalk into things before we start trying to get serious.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

BloodBath wrote: »
    Your speculative worst case scenario rubbish is just that, rubbish and is only making the situation worse. Mods need to start handing out bans for this kind of crap. The situation is serious enough as it is. You are having a direct impact on some peoples mental health.

Hold on now, your head in the sand stuff is far more dangerous. What I'm talking about isn't even worse case scenario. I'm well aware of the mental health impact of this situation, it doesn't make it any less real.
    Our own government and governments across europe are projecting theses numbers if we don't shutdown. The UK's chief scientific advisor is actively telling the population they "need to get the virus".

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-millions-of-britons-will-need-to-contract-covid-19-for-herd-immunity-11956793

This isnt hysteria or speculation. We know the outcome from getting the virus is 1-3% CFR WITH a functioning health system. No system can handle 60%+ of a population getting the virus in the coming months. The health system starts to collapse and the CFR goes up ala Italty... we want to prevent this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

robinph wrote: »
    They are assessing the situation as being very bad and that they need the testing resources to be used elsewhere on the health services and people who are badly ill. It really doesn't matter now if you have 1000, 10000, or 1 million people infected in the population and getting over it at home and self isolating. All that matters is dealing with those who are severely affected and keeping those who are looking after them in good health.

Thanks to China, Singapore, Italy etc there is already the basic statistics on how it spreads amongst the population under different circumstances. Total infection rate can be estimated in a couple of years time for the purposes of figuring out what different viruses do. For now, who cares if a load of people have a cough and recover, just assume they have it.

Testing isn't done for the sake of adding numbers to Worldometer. The purpose of it is identifying clusters and take immediate action
    It looks like some countries are afraid to be seen as highly infected by the public

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Strazdas wrote: »
    It should be stressed though the HSE are by no means anticipating 10k cases, that would be an absolute worst case scenario but which they have to legislate for.

I watched the HSE press conference : they say the aim is to keep it down to around 1000 cases over five weeks (an average of 200 a week). They think without the partial lockdown, it could be at least double this for the first few weeks.

Correct, worse case scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I'm really not understanding the attitude in the UK.

If they allow it to run rampant trying to achieve herd immunity their health service won't cope. People will die in their beds having never seen a health professional.

Their hope is that the impact to the wider economy won't be as bad, but someone is going to have to take care of these people at home?

That will likely take a lot of people out of the workforce and cause further spread of the virus ...

I'm really not getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see the Czech Republic and Slovakia have decided to start closing their borders ignoring EU advice to maintain open borders.

Hard to disagree.

That's where The Cove let me down last night, after playing a blinder yesterday. When questioned about flights he said we can't stop them 'cause the EU says so/EU rules will not allow.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Netherlands: +190 cases/+5 deaths

about 30 mins ago spain was +927 and 6 deaths now +1063 and 34 deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The numbers are starting to mean less and less. Sweden are going to stop reporting numbers. The USA is not doing any widespread testing. Assumption now must be that the virus is very widespread and people just need to assume it is endemic.

The Swedes have been very lax on this and very slow to react. Was announced in the last hour that schools are to close ONLY if the principal sees fit :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,142 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Guardian were reporting it earlier as well.

TBH I don't know why some people see it as a bad thing, they're just trying to prepare for a worst case scenario. Isn't that a positive?

And it's an absolute worst case scenario. Certainly at the moment, they are not anticipating anything like 10k people needing to be hospitalised at the same time (but it's prudent to prepare).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Yeah thats because what you spend on a week shop in there would get you 3 weeks in the likes of tesco/supervalue etc :pac:

Aldi and Lidl take with a pinch of salt savings ads are totally blown now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,366 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The rumours that the army will impose a lockdown etc are completely untrue. However, there is no call to criticise the army.

If you want to hear proper criticism of the army you should talk to someone who's in it - you obviously never have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Im not saying the German came isn't a lot better than the Italian one but I don't really feel the figures are directly comparable.

Agree - countries are just counting differently.

And also it is worth noting that the Italian health system is mean to be better than the German one according to the WHO rankings. Doesn’t mean it is specifically better at dealing with Covid-19, but just to say it would be wrong assuming their health system is substandard (it is actually ranked number 2 with only France ahead of it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Hard to disagree.

With the influx on the way up from Turkey?? Close them to **** is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

BloodBath wrote: »
    You better start wearing goggles then as well. A mask on it's own is not going to do a whole lot.

Absolutely, if you are after a 100% solution. Eyes don't actively breath in considerable volumes of air, so while a risk, are a far, far smaller risk.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement