Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Beasty wrote: »
    Another point to mention specific to the Irish figures

The only place I have seen 2 deaths noted is in this thread. I have done searches and it appears that some reports of the first death were mistakenly assumed to be a second death. Someone in Naas has also been mentioned. This has not been reported. Please bear in mind that, unfortunately, people die every day and in the current climate people can very easily put 2 and 2 together and get 5.

I have said previously there is almost certainly some delay in the release of figures. Please stick to the "official" figures as posting stuff you think you "know" can only cause confusion when most people do rely on official communications, and indeed helps create inaccurate rumours

The first death was in Naas hospital. Irish Time article:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/public-told-to-limit-social-contacts-following-first-covid-19-death-1.4200305?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Field east wrote: »
    It is naive to think that people will not engage in a certain level of stock piling in a situation that currently exists and the uncertainty over the next few weeks at least. min Humphries has just been on radio saying that we should shop as we normally do - as the retail industry is telling her that the supply lines will be capable of keeping supplies up, etc, etc, etc. So she is saying, ‘take a step back and shop as you normally do’ . This specific issue , IMO , has been very badly thought true.. WHY!.
    Gov policy is to reduce contact, reduce going out, stick around your home/accomodation and other such actions /non actions as appropriate.
    Would it not make perfect sense then for the Government to encourage people to buy , for example, two weeks supplies instead of one week’s supply thereby reducing their exposure in public areas/ mixing with the public.. this would also help supply chains as the chain is not required to deal with big volumes - which would be the case if there was a major run on supplies.

So , it should encourage a certain level of ‘stock piling’ and giving the reason that it contributes to reducing the risk of contacting the virus. It’s a sort of win win situation

If they mention stockpiling people will go absolutely nuts, look what's happening when they tell people not to stock pile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The German strain seems to be grand....
    Apparently they have sophisticated machines to oxygenate the blood, and a well-funded health service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

DOCARCH wrote: »
    ....but a smaller one!

They are due a smaller economy anyway as they are leaving the single market.

Evil Tory bastards might see the virus as an opportunity to reset the country and remove financial liability.

Measures needed to have been taken already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ECDE list necessary measure "closure of schools,taking into consideration the uncertainty in the evidence of children in transmitting the disease, need for day care for children, impact on nursing staff,potential to increase" which suggests its not actually necessary.. https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/rapid-risk-assessment-novel-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-pandemic-increased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

When do the UK release numbers?. I see 19 for today. Which is good. Its going to be very interesting to see how this plans out between them and the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Countries not taking action are in for some very hard times ahead
    There are horrors stories from Italy, people left dying at home, families left with dead relatives in the house for days
    Waiting for herd immunity to build up can't be done without having restrictions

Wtf! Is this true? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Bob24 wrote: »
    This crisis will certainly make or break leaders depending on how they manage the situation.

But besides Xi and China who look like they will come out of this stronger, it is a bit early for me to make calls elsewhere.

What's the point of waiting until break point before implementing measures that could be taken now and save us the horrors of full hospitals and people be left dying at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

When do the UK release numbers?. I see 19 for today. Which is good. Its going to be very interesting to see how this plans out between them and the rest of Europe.
    19 what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Bolsanaro really has tested positive according to the Guardian.

At last some good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Food for thought

Frankly yesterday’s panic purchases had more to do with heard mentality than desperation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

That 19 doesn't seem right though, that would indicate they are getting on top of it whereas all the indications are otherwise. There were 13 new cases in Wales alone I think. Definitely something strange there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,539 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

silver2020 wrote: »
    History has shown that when we do take hard decisions, they tend to have been the correct ones.

As for the health service - I've always said that bed blockers are a huge issue (I have a neighbour as a manager of a large hospital), the other big issue is people presenting themselves to a&e with the most minor of ailments that in most countries wouldn't even require a gp visit.

This crisis has seen utter miraculous recoveries of bed blockers and sudden non requirement for a&e of those who at any other time would be crying about the gubberment and the state of the hospitals.

Check the hospitals yourself - there are available beds in EVERY hospital today. A&Es are practically empty.

The hypocondriacs suddenly are better.

You are using the term "Bed Blocker" wrong.

There is no elderly sick person going into A&E for the crack to rot on a trolley for days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

If these measures were just from Boris Johnson and the Tory party I would not have believed their integrity but their plans do have the backing of chief scientists in the UK. Time will tell but maybe they're taking the right option at this time, for the best long term results.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/uk-governments-coronavirus-advice-and-why-it-gave-it

Also the Guardian isn't the Sun. Certainly not cheerleaders forhe Tory government

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

gabeeg wrote: »

At last some good news.

Is he the one who was letting the rain forests burn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,539 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yeah, some poor fella had to beg to get his dead sister removed from the apartment.

They were young too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

pc7 wrote: »
    Is he the one who was letting the rain forests burn?

Amongst other things, yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

yes it's true, i won't link a video i saw because it's disturbing
    a video was posted in here on a previous thread with a dead girl in bed, not an elderly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Global Stock markets surging back very strongly today.

Plenty of money being made on the back of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The German strain seems to be grand....

Someone posted an age distribution of cases in Germany and it was as if it was a totally different virus, with serious cases being mostly far younger people than elsewhere, which would go some way to explaining the lower death rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

At last some good news.

Couldn't happen to a nicer fellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

"We advise against kissing the corpse"

As a Necrophiliac this bloody thing is already affecting my quality of life. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

At last some good news.

2 days ago he said it was a fantasy. He met Trump a week ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    What's the point of waiting until break point before implementing measures that could be taken now and save us the horrors of full hospitals and people be left dying at home?

Oh I agree and I have been saying this for a long time here.

But I also recognise that the situation is very confuse and fast changing so I am not able to get a full grasp of what is going it, yet alone what is going to happen. So I will make my final calls once the dust has settled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,595 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Close them, and keep them closed! Bloody EU and their obsession with open borders, free movement of people bull****. This is a crisis, exceptions have to be made, and governments of sovereign nations should be able to act in the best interests of their own people.

Yeah, and when food and medical supplies start to run out because the borders are closed.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Field east wrote: »
    It is naive to think that people will not engage in a certain level of stock piling in a situation that currently exists and the uncertainty over the next few weeks at least. min Humphries has just been on radio saying that we should shop as we normally do - as the retail industry is telling her that the supply lines will be capable of keeping supplies up, etc, etc, etc. So she is saying, ‘take a step back and shop as you normally do’ . This specific issue , IMO , has been very badly thought true.. WHY!.
    Gov policy is to reduce contact, reduce going out, stick around your home/accomodation and other such actions /non actions as appropriate.
    Would it not make perfect sense then for the Government to encourage people to buy , for example, two weeks supplies instead of one week’s supply thereby reducing their exposure in public areas/ mixing with the public.. this would also help supply chains as the chain is not required to deal with big volumes - which would be the case if there was a major run on supplies.

So , it should encourage a certain level of ‘stock piling’ and giving the reason that it contributes to reducing the risk of contacting the virus. It’s a sort of win win situation

Promoting a rush to the shops for fear of being left out is frankly irresponsible and will promote larger gatherings of people. People see emptying shelves and they panic even more. Some are even resorting to violence from the panic.

The supply chain is fine. Sure grab some extra supplies to reduce trips to the shops. The ones buying months of supplies and promoting others to do it too are a part of the problem, not the solution.
    Akrasia wrote: »
    Yeah, and when food and medical supplies start to run out because the borders are closed.....

It wouldn't apply to the likes of food imports and we produce more than enough food at home to feed the country. Stop with the nonsense fear mongering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭1641

And lost, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Dead cat bounce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I was just down my local shopping center picking up a prescription for a neighbor on the road. It wasn't busy like yesterday but there was a good flow of people coming in and out of the different shops. The cafe had a decent amount of people in the seats. They were all above 50. This was the same with anybody I passed who were stopped talking to each other. Shaking hands, coughing etc. In the chemist, two men were trivially talking about CV19 being like the "foot and mouth situation". CV19 would not be so trivial to them or their family when a decision is made in triage for them to be left and die.

I know that most of that age bracket are not online to access such grim and sobering details but why isnt the seriousness of this issue not getting through to them? Is it the case that RTE and the papers need to drive it that little bit closer to home? They're pig-ignorant. I didn't hold back when explaining to family, how worse this was than any other outbreak that came before. Showed them the facts etc and explained what was going on in Italy. They have copped on.

I didn't see a single, little human either. This shopping center is usually littered with buggies/prams and small kids.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement