Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,424 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

1123heavy wrote: »
    Army shutdown of the country from Monday. Taoiseach will make announcement early Monday morning. Everything closed except shops on a restricted basis. No one going to/from work except those with special permission.

Basically Italy. This is the reason the army have been drafted, Garda do not have resources to police such a scenario.
    Please ignore this unsubstantiated rumour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

UK up 208 cases to 798

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Am I right in saying that there was a big drop in the number of new cases reported in Germany? 372 today compared to 779 yesterday.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/germany/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    UK up 208 cases to 798

Four weeks behind Italy my hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Dead cat bounce

And likely to be back in red by Lunch time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

sterz wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that there was a big drop in the number of new cases reported in Germany? 372 today compared to 779 yesterday.

They typically make a few updates per day I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

sterz wrote: »

Analysing day to day movements alone are meaningless in the overall context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Back from Tesco and while quite busy most things I wanted I got.
    They were out of kittensoft toilet paper though.
    Took home a 4 pack of Tesco own brand.
    Hope there won't be too much traffic down Brown Street or I'll have the arse torn off myself! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

silver2020 wrote: »
    History has shown that when we do take hard decisions, they tend to have been the correct ones.

As for the health service - I've always said that bed blockers are a huge issue (I have a neighbour as a manager of a large hospital), the other big issue is people presenting themselves to a&e with the most minor of ailments that in most countries wouldn't even require a gp visit.

This crisis has seen utter miraculous recoveries of bed blockers and sudden non requirement for a&e of those who at any other time would be crying about the gubberment and the state of the hospitals.

Check the hospitals yourself - there are available beds in EVERY hospital today. A&Es are practically empty.

The hypocondriacs suddenly are better.

I’ve been saying similar for a while, it’s quite remarkable how a/e departments have so few on trolleys at the moment.

Surely in time a study could be done on the reasons why people presented at a/e in their droves, and why that’s not happening now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

That army story is BS. (for now) Using cadets to do contact tracing though.

https://twitter.com/PaulQuinnNews/status/1238453401236758533?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

Austria shutting down all retail shops except food shops and chemists. - Guardian

Bulgaria declares a state of emergency over coronavirus

Spain is expected to announce same later today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

blade1 wrote: »
    Back from Tesco and while quite busy most things I wanted I got.
    They were out of kittensoft toilet paper though.
    Took home a 4 pack of Tesco own brand.

We shall overcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Analysing day to day movements alone are meaningless in the overall context.

Unless it's bad news, then we analyse the hell out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,072 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Austria shutting down all retail shops except food shops and chemists. - Guardian

And puts several major ski resort areas - including St Anton - under quarantine.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

It is all very surreal. Leo's speech particularly just hit me as a very surreal moment.

And at the same time, seeing people just going about their business as usual seems equally bizarre in the sense that it is happening amid so much chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

odyssey06 wrote: »
    And puts several major ski resort areas - including St Anton - under quarantine.

Can I get a link for this please, not questioning the validity - just to send it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I’ve been saying similar for a while, it’s quite remarkable how a/e departments have so few on trolleys at the moment.

Surely in time a study could be done on the reasons why people presented at a/e in their droves, and why that’s not happening now.
    Every cloud has a silver lining and, when this is all said and done (hopefully!), there will be a number of useful studies on various aspects of the outbreak. The point you made above should be one of them, and hopefully the HSE can implement measures to ensure things don't resort to the status quo again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Dead cat bounce

That cat seems to be bouncing alot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Field east

Poorside wrote: »
    If they mention stockpiling people will go absolutely nuts, look what's happening when they tell people not to stock pile.

The point I made is that people will stock pile anyway no matter what is said and it’s naieve for anyone to they’ll the nation to SHOP AS YOU NORMALLY DO.

The minister should say that in order to reduce the number of times you go out to shop you might consider shopping once per week rather than twice per week - if that’s what you normally do.
    In other words you buy twice as much as you normally do if you reduce your visit to shops to once per week. To you that may be stockpiling but to me it’s just shopping strategically and giving people a practical strategy and giving a reason for it.
    The above suggested strategy is to manage the inclination to stockpile.i have the feeling that the general population are increasingly listening to national advice/guidance given and following same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Global Stock markets surging back very strongly today.

Plenty of money being made on the back of this.

Not by buying back in at this point. Anyone who thinks the markets think ahead and have even begun to factor in the mass layoffs and company bankruptcies that are coming are kidding themselves. Not to mention the debt defaults. El Erian has this pegged, IMO. U or L shaped with a long time frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,894 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1238442859717632001

The Czechs have let the horse bolt on borders. Could have implications for other countries opting to do same.

Romanian prime minister going into self isolation after a colleague tested positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That cat seems to be bouncing alot

Yeah, like a bouncy ball being rolled down a flight of stairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    yes it's true, i won't link a video i saw because it's disturbing
    a video was posted in here on a previous thread with a dead girl in bed, not an elderly

From what I remember she had epilepsy so vulnerable. He gave her mouth to mouth trying to save her. Tragic :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

neonsofa wrote: »
    It is all very surreal. Leo's speech particularly just hit me as a very surreal moment.

And at the same time, seeing people just going about their business as usual seems equally bizarre in the sense that it is happening amid so much chaos.

Honestly if we didnt have the internet this wouldnt be as big a deal, except for the supermarket nonsense this whole thing is feeding our neurosis via 24/7 communication online. We cant get away from it. so when you step out into reality and see that things seem normal, it just SEEMS bizzare, but really its not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement