Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

neonsofa wrote: »
    It is all very surreal. Leo's speech particularly just hit me as a very surreal moment.

And at the same time, seeing people just going about their business as usual seems equally bizarre in the sense that it is happening amid so much chaos.

I'd imagine some are in denial,some resigned that there's nothing can be done(mistakenly) some ignorance and a feeling that it won't affect them(again mistaken)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Love to take a punt on bitcoin if I had some extra cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Countries not taking action are in for some very hard times ahead
    There are horrors stories from Italy, people left dying at home, families left with dead relatives in the house for days
    Waiting for herd immunity to build up can't be done without having restrictions

Agree. I really don't understand the ethics of a top medical scientest who flagrantly goes against his peers and colleagues to tow the government line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Question for people being really gleeful about those they dont like getting a nasty virus or being in danger of getting it - do you also dance on graves as a sideline activity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Food for thought

After you upload the picture right click on the link and copy the link address. If you then paste that address into the box that opens up when you click on insert image it'll embed the image in the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1238442859717632001

The Czechs have let the horse bolt on borders. Could have implications for other countries opting to do same.

Let the horse bolt how? This is being ahead of the game. Slovakia closed borders from today. Only residents are allowed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

So Covid-19 sorted out:

- The Trolley Crises in hospitals
    - An increase in sick pay
    - Increased hygiene among the general population.
    - Lower carbon emmissions from less travel
    - People spending more time with their families at home
    - More people being able to work from home
    - Helped people become more aware of the elderly and vulnerable among us.

in exchange for:

- a large number of people dying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

wylo wrote: »
    Honestly if we didnt have the internet this wouldnt be as big a deal, except for the supermarket nonsense this whole thing is feeding our neurosis via 24/7 communication online. We cant get away from it. so when you step out into reality and see that things seem normal, it just SEEMS bizzare, but really its not.

My childs school being shut down unexpectedly is bizarre. The panic buying one day and then peace the next is bizarre. Going about your day in and of itself is obviously nothing strange. Hence the surrealness of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Gynoid wrote: »
    Question for people being really gleeful about those they dont like getting a nasty virus or being in danger of getting it - do you also dance on graves as a sideline activity?

I don't dance on graves as a rule, but I'd make an exception for Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,539 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The UK have a 10 point plan.

The 2 most radical points being.

1. School trips overseas are cancelled.
    2. Over 70s should avoid cruise ships.

They are fúcked with that absolute clown in charge and if we don't cut them lose we are fúcked.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    So Covid-19 sorted out:

- The Trolley Crises in hospitals
    - An increase in sick pay
    - Increased hygiene among the general population.
    - Lower carbon emmissions from less travel
    - People spending more time with their families at home
    - More people being able to work from home
    - Helped people become more aware of the elderly and vulnerable among us.

in exchange for:

- a large number of people dying.

Well we haven't hit the large numbers dying yet and I dont think we will, well I suppose it depends what you think a large number is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

It's impossible to get tested. My son has come down with an uncontrollable fever and we live in an area with a number of confirmed cases. He is coughing and wheezing like there's no tomorrow. He isn't asthmatic or anything. I've rang the HSE three times since yesterday and they are saying that they are ONLY testing people who have been in contact with a confirmed case. However, we were with ppl who had come from locked down areas of different countries last weekend. I've phoned them and they're well but I've a horrible feeling that this isn't just a normal cold. Given a number of people in our community are in hospital with Covid-19, it's not unreasonable to think he possibly came into contact with them somewhere at some stage. We live in a close knit area.

have you rang doctors to get advice on treatment rather just a test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

gabeeg wrote: »
    I don't dance on graves as a rule, but I'd make an exception for Trump.

Really. What has he done to you? Something more than any previous incumbent? Or would you dance on all their graves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Based in Spain (Barcelona)
    At home working, kids off school, allready it's doing my head in.

Day 1 of ??????
    My morale is at a reading of 0.00000000000000000000000000000000 to be honest ...

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

niallo27 wrote: »
    Love to take a punt on bitcoin if I had some extra cash.

Same as

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

neonsofa wrote: »
    It is all very surreal. Leo's speech particularly just hit me as a very surreal moment.

And at the same time, seeing people just going about their business as usual seems equally bizarre in the sense that it is happening amid so much chaos.

Tbh I was more worried about it two weeks ago when the country was playing it down (as I had seen the data over the past 7 weeks) and have more moved into an acceptance phase.

It's out of my control so I'm going to proceed taking all the precautions.

Currently perched at the table working from home watching Cheltenham and getting meetings stuff and done via conferencing. It's not all bad I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I say we take a page out of the Czech book - Close the borders

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well we haven't hit the large numbers dying yet and I dont think we will, well I suppose it depends what you think a large number is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Boggles wrote: »
    The UK have a 10 point plan.

The 2 most radical points being.

1. School trips overseas are cancelled.
    2. Over 70s should avoid cruise ships.

They are fúcked with that absolute clown in charge and if we don't cut them lose we are fúcked.

Yeah because on the continent they are doing just fine.

• Advertisement

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

Tell them Czech's to bounce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

anyone old enough to remember previous flu pandemics in 58 68 78? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_pandemic#Asian_Flu_.281957.E2.80.931958.29

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Based in Spain (Barcelona)
    At home working, kids off school, allready it's doing my head in.

Day 1 of ??????
    My morale is at a reading of 0.00000000000000000000000000000000 to be honest ...

Can you lock the door of the room you're in? I'd be doing that and have music on to drown out noise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

It is going to spread. So the best thing to do is manage the spread so that the medical services can cope. That's the advice they have been given by the professionals. I'm happy to stick with that as opposed to online critics claiming they should do a load of unnecessary and fruitless things.

Leaving schools open means its likely to spread more rapidly not less so.

That's what they did in Italy for a while, left the schools open, and everything open.

Essentially, the UK has decided to follow the early Italian model. We all know how that turned out. Eventually the Italians saw it didn't work because the spread was too rapid and overwhelmed them.

I'd prefer the Chinese approach and at the moment our approach. Slow the spread down as much as possible. The UK seem intent on speeding it up. This means the peak of their curve will come much sooner and will last much longer with more people sick in hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,539 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yeah because on the continent they are doing just fine.

That is why you don't make the same mistakes as other countries.

The blue print on exactly what not to do is there, there is no excuses.

DrumSteve wrote: »

I'd take a 1000 all day long if I thought it would taper out at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

asked this a few times but gets stuck at bottom of previous pages ...
    this seemingly common knowledge that if you get it and then get over it, you become immune....whats that based on ?....its such a new virus, has there been time to know that for sure ?
    people can get flu on average every 5 years or so, that right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

Chequebook.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Countries not taking action are in for some very hard times ahead
    There are horrors stories from Italy, people left dying at home, families left with dead relatives in the house for days
    Waiting for herd immunity to build up can't be done without having restrictions

I live in Italy and didn't hear such stories...
    What is true, though, is that morgues are full and coffins are stored in churches waiting for burials.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement