Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Leaving schools open means its likely to spread more rapidly not less so.

That's what they did in Italy for a while, left the schools open, and everything open.

Essentially, the UK has decided to follow the early Italian model. We all know how that turned out. Eventually the Italians saw it didn't work because the spread was too rapid and overwhelmed them.

I'd prefer the Chinese approach and at the moment our approach. Slow the spread down as much as possible. The UK seem intent on speeding it up. This means the peak of their curve will come much sooner and will last much longer with more people sick in hospital.

That's the art I don't understand; the treatments and vaccines for this are progressing at a rapid pace ( I think the chinese have one good to go next month).

Slow it now; roll out the treatments over the next few weeks and months.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Based in Spain (Barcelona)
    At home working, kids off school, allready it's doing my head in.

Day 1 of ??????
    My morale is at a reading of 0.00000000000000000000000000000000 to be honest ...

Try and work in a room away from the kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭amacca

Yeah because on the continent they are doing just fine.

I think the poster you quoted is right. Downplaying this is not the right strategy.

The UK might well end up wishing it had started taking measures like school closures etc sooner

Bojo and co might very much regret their course of action

I hope I'm wrong given the additional loss of life I think their strategy will result in.....but I don't think I will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

dougm1970 wrote: »
    asked this a few times but gets stuck at bottom of previous pages ...
    this seemingly common knowledge that if you get it and then get over it, you become immune....whats that based on ?....its such a new virus, has there been time to know that for sure ?
    people can get flu on average every 5 years or so, that right ?

There's different flus every year. The flu vaccine is different every year too (aimed at 3 separate viruses).

There was a flu pandemic in the 70s that effected young people worse because it was related to a flu bug from the 40s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,078 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Someone posted earlier re: difficulties in getting test done as did not meet the criteria for travel \ close contact.
    Can't find the original post but bumping this.

The National Public Health Emergency Team has changed the threshold for Covid-19 testing. It had been the case that if people had returned from an at-risk area and had symptoms, they were to contact their GP. Now, the at-risk area is no longer a condition and if people have symptoms, they should contact their GP. This is expected to result in a big rise in testing.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0313/1122004-coronavirus-ireland-health/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

The army would struggle to shutdown a laptop.

Stop spouting sh;te.

The only army division that would impose a shutdown is the rangers but they are limited in numbers.
    The regular army most certainly would not impose a shutdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I live in Italy and didn't hear such stories...
    What is true, though, is that morgues are full and coffins are stored in churches waiting for burials.

I am curious about the Italian problem .Did it get into nursing homes before they realized the blessed thing was there I wonder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭almostover

DrumSteve wrote: »
    So Covid-19 sorted out:

- The Trolley Crises in hospitals
    - An increase in sick pay
    - Increased hygiene among the general population.
    - Lower carbon emmissions from less travel
    - People spending more time with their families at home
    - More people being able to work from home
    - Helped people become more aware of the elderly and vulnerable among us.

in exchange for:

- a large number of people dying.

One would hope when all this is resolved that we take stock and finally see the wood from the trees. Our culture of consumerism will hopefully die out with the virus in time.

A good crisis should never be wasted. We can make significant positive changes to our society off the back of this dreadful scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

DrumSteve wrote: »
    So Covid-19 sorted out:

- The Trolley Crises in hospitals
    - An increase in sick pay
    - Increased hygiene among the general population.
    - Lower carbon emmissions from less travel
    - People spending more time with their families at home
    - More people being able to work from home
    - Helped people become more aware of the elderly and vulnerable among us.

in exchange for:

- a large number of people dying.

Large numbers of people becoming unemployed
    Large numbers of business going bankrupt
    Large scale debt defaults
    A recession
    Possible run on banks
    Government increasing tax to pay for all the measures (deposits haircut?)
    Large numbers of people with scarred/dysfunctional lungs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Tbh I was more worried about it two weeks ago when the country was playing it down (as I had seen the data over the past 7 weeks) and have more more into an acceptance phase.

It's out of my control so I'm going to proceed taking all the precautions.

Currently perched at the table working from home watching Cheltenham and getting meetings stuff and done via conferencing. It's not all bad I guess.

Oh god, i absolutely agree, i am glad people are taking it seriously. It is still all very surreal though! Even working in the office and keeping distance, being unable to share breaks etc. Its all really bizarre. Thats not to say its not warranted or appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

dougm1970 wrote: »
    asked this a few times but gets stuck at bottom of previous pages ...
    this seemingly common knowledge that if you get it and then get over it, you become immune....whats that based on ?....its such a new virus, has there been time to know that for sure ?
    people can get flu on average every 5 years or so, that right ?
    14days approx worth of anti-bodies are the natural assumed immunity.

But considering the population penetration rate of this, repeat infection might well be a possibility at either side of the peak (in 10wks time).

There are a few less nastly flus about each year InfA/B, even H1N1, but this COVID is a nasty chap indeed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

gabeeg wrote: »
    I don't dance on graves as a rule, but I'd make an exception for Trump.

He'll probably want to be buried at sea... :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 BetterWay

cnocbui wrote: »

Deposits haircut?

Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

cnocbui wrote: »
    Large numbers of people becoming unemployed
    Large numbers of business going bankrupt
    Large scale debt defaults
    A recession
    Possible run on banks
    Large numbers of people with scarred/dysfunctional lungs

At least this time it's not purely caused by greed I guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Just checked Tesco app, the earliest delivery date is next Friday! You’d want to be well organised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I’ve been saying similar for a while, it’s quite remarkable how a/e departments have so few on trolleys at the moment.

Surely in time a study could be done on the reasons why people presented at a/e in their droves, and why that’s not happening now.

Offhand older people with flu might decide its better to avoid A&Es.
    Also people with minor soft tissue injures.
    Less sports being played so less contact injuries.
    Less schools open so less playground injuries.
    People with mysterious pains and aches might decide its not worth the hassle going in.

But agreed, all A&E admissions should be categorised and the information studied to see what are the main causes of A&E admissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Italians stuck at home for days with the bodies of their loved ones..horrific

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Just checked Tesco app, the earliest delivery date is next Friday! You’d want to be well organised

We usually book a drop off for every Thursday morning. Usually wait and do it the day before but decided on Wednesday to book our next four, to be safe. Glad we did, cause it feels as if they’ll get harder and harder to get as the shops and stuff shut down

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am curious about the Italian problem .Did it get into nursing homes before they realized the blessed thing was there I wonder

As far as I know, either one of the doctors from a Geriatrics ward who had been infected by a patient had gone to the nursing home to visit someone, or one of the guests had gone for an appointment to that ward and brought it back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Italians stuck at home for days with the bodies of their loved ones..horrific

Whats he saying and why is there a body in the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Lord TSC wrote: »
    We usually book a drop off for every Thursday morning. Usually wait and do it the day before but decided on Wednesday to book our next four, to be safe. Glad we did, cause it feels as if they’ll get harder and harder to get as the shops and stuff shut down

When are they shutting down the shops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,539 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

wylo wrote: »

I haven't fact checked it, but it's his sister who died from the virus and can't get the authorities to take her. He is pleading for help.

Absolutely grim if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

iamwhoiam wrote: »

As far as I know, the patient #1 didn't know he was sick and kept doing his usual life and work. This is, likely, when he infected dozens of other people. Then a few days later he got sick and went to the hospital where he was tested positive and went to the ICU. He woke up two days ago... he will soon learn what disaster he caused.

I don't know if some of the infected persons went visiting relatives in the nursing homes.
    It spread out very quickly and only two days later eleven towns were locked down. This is where it started and this is where the number of new cases is now zero. The experiment of isolating them all for a fortnight worked fine.

Unfortunately that area is dense of small businesses with contacts and visitors all over the country and abroad, and this caused the virus to travel all Italy in a few days.

The fact that Italy has one of the eldest population in the world didn't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

The money would cover Staff costs for the hotel while the staff are at home.

Maldron Hotel Parnell Square - 182 rooms

Jurys Parnell Street - 253 rooms

Theres loads more which I would think are going to be pretty empty.

Surely the Claytons have to be the hotels of choice !!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

wylo wrote: »

Don't speak Italian but this was on the site with the video.

"When his sister died after contracting the novel coronavirus, Luca Franzese thought that things couldn’t get much worse.

Then, for more than 36 hours, the Italian actor and mixed martial arts trainer was trapped at home with Teresa Franzese’s decaying body, unable to find a funeral home that would bury her.

"I have my sister in bed, dead, I don’t know what to do," Franzese said in a Facebook video over the weekend, pleading for help. "I cannot give her the honor she deserves because the institutions have abandoned me. I contacted everyone, but nobody was able to give me an answer."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

kowloon wrote: »
    After you upload the picture right click on the link and copy the link address. If you then paste that address into the box that opens up when you click on insert image it'll embed the image in the post.

Cheers for the tip. Never copped that before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

gabeeg wrote: »
    I don't dance on graves as a rule, but I'd make an exception for Trump.

That would call for nothing less than full-on Riverdance, the extended version.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement