Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Just on the UK deaths listen to Dr John's first few minutes, he says the infection rate in your (our) country is 10 to 20 times higher than we are reporting...

hes not a real doctor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 BetterWay

If I have direct knowledge of things then I won’t mention it here as that wouldn’t be appropriate until those things become public knowledge

Excellent post. But this part worries me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

almostover wrote: »
    Ah survival of the fittest! The Tory way. We should be limiting the spread of the virus until such time a vaccine and/or treatment is developed.

Developing a vaccine anything between 6 to 18 months according to most reports, we'll all be sick of being isolated by then never mind sick from CoVid19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Just on the UK numbers listen to Dr John's first few minutes, he says the infection rate in your (our) country is 10 to 20 times higher than we are reporting...

lol.... he jumped from x10 to x20 there without a second thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Paddy doesn't do lock-down.

We are looking at the absolute worst-case now. All the economic destruction of the lock-down - school closures and losses in productivity and revenues - combined with the same rate of infection the UK are going to get.

We'll end up in the same place as the UK, with a decent herd immunity, but with a devastated economy.

Still, the social media brigade, braying for a lock-down, will be kept happy so the politicians will view it as a good result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Just on the UK deaths listen to Dr John's first few minutes, he says the infection rate in your (our) country is 10 to 20 times higher than we are reporting...

It's only when countries roll out a vaccine that true mortality rates will begin to emerge. Then people can start to assess whose strategy was most effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

And virus all over the handles of the stool, metal bar running across the front of the bar, all the piss in the toilet on the floor and everywhere contaminated with it, all the taps and handles of toilet crawling with it, and depending on the hygiene of the bar man serving you, the glass he held while filling it from the tap will be contaminated.

People need to really wake up to the reality of whats happening in our neighboring country, your a ****ing pleb and so are the bars that are still open.

Ban accepted without argument.

Don't even know what to think about this.

I mean, yes, this is how I think, as someone with almost lifelong OCD. I have barely ventured outside over the past week, except when I've been forced to work. My mental state is really, incredibly poor, though. I've been invited to have a drink in a beer garden in a quiet pub and am considering it. Would disinfect and/or wash hands after handling the glass and be careful not to touch my face and all that.

It's hard to find a balance between trying to stay safe and not going completely insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

BetterWay wrote: »
    What exactly do you think that entails?

And where do you think they'll find the people to police it when they can't even police O'Connell Street properly?

The Army.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

flynnlives wrote: »
    is that your spreadsheet?

could you upload to google sheets? id like to make a copy

thanks!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VnTtGtEGyzDr1sAdoFieLpUeUUP0mbzryebHGUbISj4/edit?usp=sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I know this isn't an advice thread but I was planning on taking the girlfriend for a night or 2 away down the country somewhere this weekend, ye reckon its safe? and also if places will even be open ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

gmisk wrote: »
    F*ck it I will

Prices medical hall
    Aka
    Clare street medical

On nassau street

It's pure alcohol pretty much apart from the gouging it would destroy your hands!

People are paying it as well!
    Sorry to quote my own post, but is there any legislation in Ireland to do with price gouging? I know they were bringing it in or brought it in in the Uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Austria locking down two areas: Paznaun and St.Anton
    Also:
    • stopping visits to hospitals
    • bars and restaurants to close at 15 pm
    • only essential shops are open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Still, the social media brigade, braying for a lock-down, will be kept happy so the politicians will view it as a good result.

Those most concerned and seeking action are the elderly fearing for their lives, hardly the "social media brigade".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just on the UK numbers listen to Dr John's first few minutes, he says the infection rate in your (our) country is 10 to 20 times higher than we are reporting...

It only really matters if the system has to deal with huge numbers simultaneously. One of the German chief medics made the point that they can't quantify the number who may have had it and recovered. He also suggested this could add to herd immunity.

BTW is it a thing to link to that guy on every version of the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

WrenBoy wrote: »
    I know this isn't an advice thread but I was planning on taking the girlfriend for a night or 2 away down the country somewhere this weekend, ye reckon its safe? and also if places will even be open ??

I’d go man. Honestly, unless you’re planning on living in bubble wrap for 2 weeks. Just go. You’re young. Help the local economy and be smart about who you come into contact with

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 BetterWay

flynnlives wrote: »
    hes not a real doctor.

Who is this guy I keep seeing all over YouTube? So he actually has no qualifications?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

spookwoman wrote: »
    HSE Briefing
    2 cycles in release of latest infections etc. The reports we get in the evening are from the morning cycle and they say tests turnaround is between 4 to 6 hours rather than days
    It's crazy that the test turnaround times are so long. It suggests the HSE really aren't getting to grips with testing at all.

It's not 4 - 6 hours anyway. I know of a case waiting days rather than hours.

4 to 6 hours is how long the actual analysis process takes. You have to take into account specimen transport and reporting. A sample coming from rural Kerry to Dublin isn't going to have a turnaround time of 4 hours.

There are now thousands of samples being sent to the NVRL. That causes a backlog. It's like traffic. You have to wait your turn.

Testing is being ramped up to be available in other hospitals around the country. People are so impatient, even in a crisis.

Do you want fast results or the right results?

Downlinz wrote: »
    Those most concerned and seeking action are the elderly fearing for their lives, hardly the "social media brigade".

Plenty of them pottering around the town today - they must be hiding their fear well.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

Yeah but he isn't wrong. In Ireland I'd be astounded if we had less than 700 infected people today. The criteria for doing a test were very strict. They'll be loosened going forward as more testing kits become available but until we do widespread testing our confirmed numbers will always be much less than the real number of infected.... and then at a certain point we'll move to symptomatic diagnosis ( where we diagnose on the basis of symptoms instead of on the basis of a confirmed test ). When community spread is really ramped up you'll find that community testing will stop and the testing kits will be diverted to hospitals to confirm need for admission and to test staff so we can keep the non-COVID portions of hospitals free from staff with COVID-19.

To be fair though the figures in all of Europe are much higher than are being reported because nowhere has enough testing kits so this isn't a case of government incompetence. This is simply what happens when you get a fast-moving epi/pandemic.

All of this focus on daily confirmed infections is really missing the point. What matters is that there is community spread and that we need to socially distance/isolate, handwash etc. Whether we have 70 cases or 700 we have to take the same steps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

74 new cases in Brazil. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Downlinz wrote: »
    Out in the streets today saw and met a fair few elderly. They really didn't look that fearful at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

WrenBoy wrote: »

There open and booked. I'm off before the **** hits the fan. I did ask were there any Italians staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,539 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

is_that_so wrote: »
    Out in the streets today saw and met a fair few elderly. They really didn't look that fearful at all.

Do you have "look" fearful to be fearful?

They are humans not comics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Ironicname wrote: »
    Jesus. From what?

Was 590 yesterday.

is_that_so wrote: »

In my experience it's the lads in their 20's/30's that are the biggest fear-mongers. The older generation are far too sensible to buy into the hysteria being generated online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I didn’t know Katie Porter until I watched this video but I’m in love. She strong-arms the guy with the authority to agree to start testing Americans for the Coronavirus for free. No bullshit.

She is excellent. Funny, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Scotty # wrote: »
    lol.... he jumped from x10 to x20 there without a second thought.

The 10x and 20x come directly from Boris's press conference yesterday. They had 590 cases yesterday and said during the press conference that the real number was probably between 5,000 and 10,000 - which is 10X-20X current cases.

This lad is actually on the ball, definitely worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

otnomart wrote: »
    Austria locking down two areas: Paznaun and St.Anton
    Also:
    • stopping visits to hospitals
    • bars and restaurants to close at 15 pm
    • only essential shops are open

15 PM !! Those are some hard workers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Ardent

VinLieger wrote: »
    This is part of the reasons why a full lockdown is 100% on its way. I dont believe the Monday rumours but could easily happen by end of next week.

Use the army to lock down adhoc Paddy's Day celebrations I'd say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement