Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    They always take forever to start!

someone coughing in the background lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

21108.jpeg

Very incorrect information. American is horrendously laggardly in terms of testing. I won't reveal our per capita testing numbers as that's information I wouldn't know outside of my role but America has tested 26 people per million.

We are roughly on a par with the UK. Here's the picture which is relevant to this point.

Sorry for the picture size etc. I'm better with typing than posting on web fora clearly.

What the f is going on in Japan? Not even 10,000 tests done there? And almost 7% of them were positive. Theres likely a massive epidemic going on there undetected. They trying to cover it up for the olympics or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So we are on lockdown ,
    England are not ,

Has everyone forgot Northern Ireland is only up the road
    Dublin is close to there than it is to Cork

So we will be basically pissing in the wind if we are on lockdown and they are not ,

nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

So we are on lockdown ,
    England are not ,

So we will be basically pissing in the wind if we are on lockdown and they are not ,

no more than if we were a european landlocked country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,531 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I won't say it doesn't happen but I've never heard of anyone Irish ever kissing the Blarney stone, or even wanting to.

I thought that was the point of going there.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

cloudatlas wrote: »
    The UK government have thought this through they are advised by a Scientific advisory body which contains professors from the top universities in the U.k. they agree with the approach taken. That youtube guy with the phd that everyone keeps posting didn't criticise it either. There is a good article here explaining why they've taken these measures https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...why-it-gave-it

Obviously they don't have the same info you have about the next strain that is arriving next year.

No they haven't thought it through.

They are hoping for this to become slowly endemic in the population.

Do you honestly think other countries will keep flights, borders, tourism and general travel open with a county where a potentially lethal virus like coronavirus is endemic? Of course they won't. Its the next logical step which they haven't thought about.

Look at how practically every country in the world has shut down travel to and from Italy. The UK will be next to suffer this treatment because of their approach.

Basic common sense would make anyone recognise how badly wrong these so called experts have got it. Monumentally wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Adiboo wrote: »
    The potential vaccine will need to be given annually?

If it behaves like the seasonal flu and reappears and mutates every year then yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

They have statistics of death rates among people with different chronic conditions. One of the categories was something like chronic lung disease and had a death rate of about 6%. I took that as including asthma.

According to analysis from China, starting with highest number of deaths associated with preexisting issue:

Cardiovascular
    Diabetes
    Respiratory
    Hypertension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

dougm1970 wrote: »
    no more than if we were a european landlocked country.

But they are all implying the same rules, UK is not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

WHO meeting starting now

who meeting starting now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

So we are on lockdown ,
    England are not ,

Half a mile down the road from there is no lockdown ,no nothing. So far there are no cases around here but thats only a matter of time. What can you do? I'd swear Arlene wants to infect us.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

So when you state 10% need ICU care we are talking about 10% of confirmed cases. If we only confirming 10% of actual infections then reality is only 1% of people will need intensive care. I was taking the infected figures and percentages from Italy as gospel until yesterday when it became apparent there was a hell of a lot more out there than reported cases...

2% of "confirmed cases" die. Since a lot of cases are unconfirmed we can expect the death rate to be less than 2% of the total number infected BUT that all goes out of the window if the health services get overwhelmed and 10% of confirmed cases die due to lack of ventilators.

It all gets very complex and if there's interest I could explain the various assumptions which would set upper and lower bounds in another long post but, bottom line, it is quite reasonable to say that we are facing 5.5million x 60% infection rate = 3.3 million x 2% death rate = 66,000 dead over the next year.

If we isolate really well we can push that down. If we can spread the infections over 12 months instead of 3 then we'll push it down even more etc etc. If we're idiots then we can push it up above 66,000

If we assume we are truly morons then we can push the death rate to terrifying levels. But so far we're not being utter morons ;-). Let's try to push this to the "we're actually clever at a population level" and we could, conceivably, get this below 5,000 dead in the next year. That would be a FANTASTIC result at this stage.... I'm assuming no proper vaccine in October for these numbers. If we can get a safe vaccine by then then we can push it even lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I see some guy tweeted a picture of himself kissing the Blarney Stone today !

Unless this is a wind-up, it seems absolutely incredible that 'tourist attraction' is still open for kissing! Even if he does mention antiseptic spray.

A hard lesson from the 1918 'Spanish' flu which killed between 50 - 100 million people below.

In the deeply pious Spanish city of Zamora, for example, the local bishop defied the health authorities by ordering a novena – evening prayers on nine consecutive days – in honour of Saint Rocco, the patron saint of plague and pestilence.

This involved churchgoers lining up to kiss the saint’s relics, around the time that the outbreak peaked. Zamora went on to record the highest flu-related death rate of any city in Spain, and one of the highest in Europe.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/11/closed-borders-and-black-weddings-what-the-1918-flu-teaches-us-about-coronavirus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,595 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

BloodBath wrote: »
    Promoting a rush to the shops for fear of being left out is frankly irresponsible and will promote larger gatherings of people. People see emptying shelves and they panic even more. Some are even resorting to violence from the panic.

The supply chain is fine. Sure grab some extra supplies to reduce trips to the shops. The ones buying months of supplies and promoting others to do it too are a part of the problem, not the solution.

It wouldn't apply to the likes of food imports and we produce more than enough food at home to feed the country. Stop with the nonsense fear mongering.

Not every country is self sufficient in food, The UK for example will run out of food within weeks if they couldn't import and Ireland definitely does import things like medical supplies and equipment that we would need if this thing goes as badly as we're all expecting it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

They're not releasing today's numbers then, though. They're releasing the ones they got around to (subject to the maximum testing capacity) which were submitted before 10am on Wednesday.

Brilliant post here:

Bleak picture here but reality is very sad right now. Many lucky survivors in this will be forced to take a look at life and appreciate what they have.

Best of luck to you, thanks always for the informative updates and I hope we get the opportunity to catch up in 2021 ;)

LOL! I can confirm I will do almost ANYTHING for a double vodka with no ice or mixer ;-) You've been warned ;-)

any update about that cruise ship that docked in atlanta, dunno how many days ago now ?
    there were 21 positive tests on it...does that number get added to u.s. total ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭josip

Well that is a TLDR if there ever was one.....!!!!

Au contraire, it should be stickied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Has anyone seen Northern Ireland figures today? What was it? I checked the online tracker earlier and UK was in the teens. Was this NI? UK is now 200+ for the day which is usually the full UK number. I’m interested to see how NI numbers are today.

Also are our number 2 days behind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Basic common sense would make anyone recognise how badly wrong these so called experts have got it. Monumentally wrong.

All those wasted years in medical school and in practice when they could have just asked a lad on Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,595 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

spookwoman wrote: »
    who meeting starting now

I don't know who are meeting now, don't ask me

more cases now being reported now than china did during the epidemic.. WHO Briefing

jarvis wrote: »
    Has anyone seen Northern Ireland figures today? What was it? I checked the online tracker earlier and UK was in the teens. Was this NI? UK is now 200+ for the day which is usually the full UK number. I’m interested to see how NI numbers are today.

+9 for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

jarvis wrote: »

the NI number is completely irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Popoutman wrote: »
    In personal life, yes. I've had people I've been talking with go through the spectrum of "It's only in China, and won't get to us here", then "It's not that bad, won't be a problem", through to "Ah sure it's only the same as the flu, I'm not bothered", to "Ah it's only affecting the elderly and I'm young so I'm fine", to "Only a few percent need to go to hospital with it".

I've managed to persuade some of them at least to comprehend the numbers that a doubling every 6 days means a lot of problems in a month or two when the capacity of the healthcare systems are reached. They then start to understand that even though the virus tend not to affect the kids, I say to them "Imagine that your kid gets a high fever and needs medical attention, and you can't get the medical care you expect because every doctor is fighting for someone's life in a temporary ICU somewhere due to the numbers of the sick, how do you feel then?" Once I can frame it in ways that show them the risk to themselves and their family both young and old, they begin to get it.

Of course I had some friends that are choosing to not handwash and happy to go to Cheltnham without a care, and who intend to go and visit their elderly family afterwards.

There's a wonderful Despair.com poster about meetings, where "None of us is as dumb as all of us" and that seems to be true with this. I really hope enough people get their thumbs out of their asses and start to help slow things down.
    I still think you're confusing what people say with what they are doing and I get the impression that you adopt a somewhat superior hectoring attitude to others. That never works well ever! Equally this is going to get much worse is not very useful information to anyone and serves mostly to agitate anxieties even more.

I see the social distancing observed everywhere. I hear people go on and on about washing their hands and they seem aware of coughing and face touching protocols. These are the guidelines and it appears they are being adhered to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭roosterman71

If the Brazilian boss has the virus, and there's a good chance Donald has picked it up, how is Leo?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

No they haven't thought it through.

They are hoping for this to become slowly endemic in the population.

Do you honestly think other countries will keep flights, borders, tourism and general travel open with a county where a potentially lethal virus like coronavirus is endemic? Of course they won't. Its the next logical step which they haven't thought about.

Look at how practically every country in the world has shut down travel to and from Italy. The UK will be next to suffer this treatment because of their approach.

The U.K government are going to introduce measures close work places etc., but not yet. One of the professors who is advising the government is also advising his place of work a university and they haven't shut down yet either. what a total moron! or he wants poor people to die! Not sure which one you want to go for.

How long should Ireland quarantine for, until they find the vaccine is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

All those wasted years in medical school and in practice when they could have just asked a lad on Facebook.

That's right, ignore the message, go for the messenger. Par for the course mostly with you.

Next you'll be telling us what a great job our own "experts" advising our government did. You know the ones who advised there was no need to stop flights to and from northern Italy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement