Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Croohur1

YFlyer wrote: »
    Surely they could use their own laptops.
    They wont have the programs needed installed on their own laptops

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Beasty wrote: »
    Social media has had some serious impact on the attitudes now compared to 2001. There is a hell of a lot more information and misinformation being relayed about Coronavirus. Foot and Mouth was totally understood back then

Foot and Mouth was understood by the Irish government but, not by the Uk who let their farming stock get infected and be burnt. We were pro active then, dunno about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

amber2 wrote: »
    I know this has been posted before But things get buried quickly in these threads. This gives great insight into the Italian outbreak. The doctor is a senior Italian health official in Lombardy and his analogy of Covid 19 is like a bomb going off in Lombardy but a bomb that goes off every day.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9mrPHO-nkVE&feature=youtu.be

A stupid analogy that the media were quick to jump on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A lot of people don't have laptops. We were doing contingency planning at work to get people set up for remote working. About half the staff didn't have a suitable device to use at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Definitely not advisable from a cyber security and data protection perspective.

Then with people who do have laptops the bigger challenge is the strain on the network with everyone working remotely. I doubt the Govt have the IT infrastructure in place and are prepared for that.

There's all sorts of other considerations around licensing etc too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Now it's officially a pandemic can we officially start to panic?

They were screwed not calling this a pandemic a while ago with everyone else starting to call it as such

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

ITman88 wrote: »
    That’s not a lockdown, goods moving requires a plethora of logistics and people.

Will achieve very little re the spread of the virus

Truck drivers not getting out of cab etc. Its already happening

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

So apparently there is a possibility that big "unnamed" factory either signifficantly reduce production or completely shut down for 2 weeks. Contractors like cleaners already got email from their employers working in this factory saying they will not be paid.

So no sick benefit as they are not sick, no unemployment benefit as they are employed. What they are supposed to do for these 2 weeks - eat grass?
    Not to mention that while it is nice that banks deferred mortgage payments for 3 months most of the people in low paid jobs - the really poor people do not have mortgage as they cant get one.
    They usually rent and here again - is city or corporation going to defer payments for renters? I seriously doubt that private landlords will be doing such thing.
    These poor people without income will have no chance to pay their rent or buy food. And while you can survive 2 weeks without food what will happen if those 2 weeks stretch to 4 or 2 months or... pick a number...

This whole approach is crazy and while I can understand why decisions like this are taken - like they do not want to get sued later on as this is like a tradition over here - it make a lot of people suffer unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    How? I hear some departments share one laptop between 10. They are not set up for it.

Like Russian soldiers and their rifles in WW2. If one guy falls, the next one picks it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Wibbs wrote: »
    Outside of some government agencies like ours running around like headless chickens, there are some big horsepower minds being fired at this right now, so I will bet now Mic that there'll be some therapies on the go within the next month and some signs of a vaccine, or partial vaccine for those in the frontline by mid summer. Even a vaccine that reduced symptoms in half of potential patients would make an impact.

That's my feelings too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Ellsbells1 wrote: »
    I think in these unprecedented times our politicians should be at home. I think Leo should have led the way and cancelled all engagements.

Will that actually make any discernible difference? Basically to say Leo shouldn't be doing his job, unless you mean that as a qualified doctor, he should delegate to Coveney and actually don scrubs.

It might come to a point where he actually has to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Thought I'd post this but few days ago I had a cold flu, over that now somewhat but really struggling to grasp air into my lungs today and yesterday. Im healthy and have no underlying conditions that I know off

Have taken 2 weeks off work just there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    But there is evidence? In fact that's a feature of the disease? Attaching via ACE2 receptors? Kidney and lung damage?

I posted it earlier? Based on medical studies from China.

A quick google would have found it .....

https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/breaking-more-emerging-chinese-research-studies-shows-that-the-sars-cov-2-coronavirus-also-attacks-the-kidneys,-pancreas-and-liver

A quick google didn't find it because it's very far from a fact. Your source link is probably not in the first 100 pages of google in Ireland.

People need to start understanding how science works before they claim everything some study finds as a fact.

There's a lot more bad science than good science.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Government departments will be working from home next week onwards.

Could you explain why you believe that?
    I don't think that is possible tbh. Maybe for some skeleton level of staff (higher ups) set up with remote access, secure devices etc but most of the workers would not have this afair.
    "working from home" is not something you can just push a button on/wave a magic wand and make happen in the middle of a crisis.

3rje0hxq60m41.jpg

I normally dislike comparisons like that but it's a decent point. China getting criticised for letting it spread when countries with weeks of warning are letting it spread as well.

It's just what it is. No matter where it started, it was going global. It takes too long for something new to stand out and then there are infected people everywhere.. We'll have a few more of these in the next few decades, and not all will be from the East.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Oh really Professor, do inform the rest of us. Even wiki would define it as one. An airborne disease is any disease that is caused by pathogens that can be transmitted through the air by both small, dry particles, and as larger liquid droplets[1]

No problem. Let us leave Wikpedia aside. This is from the European Centre for Disease Control and Prevention:

Coronaviruses are believed to be transmitted in most instances from person-to-person through inhalation or deposition on mucosal surfaces of large respiratory droplets. Other routes have also been implicated in the transmission of coronaviruses, such as c ontact with contaminated fomites and inhalation of aerosols, producedduring aerosol generating procedures. The highest risk of healthcare-associated transmission is in the absence of standard precautions, when basic infection prevention and control measures for respiratory infections are not in place, and when handling patients where 2009-nCoV infection is yet to be confirmed. Although there is so far no evidence of airborne transmission, we recommend a cautious approach due to lack of studies excluding this mode
    of transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,146 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I can imagine there would be a lot of Irish Liverpool fans at game tonight, they'll mix with the Atletico fans and then walk straight back into Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I can imagine there would be a lot of Irish Liverpool fans at game tonight, they'll mix with the Atletico fans and then walk straight back into Ireland.

Walk back :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

50% of cases in Europe now outside Italy. An increase on roughly 45% yesterday, and 40% the day before that, and 30% the day before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

patnor1011 wrote: »
    So apparently there is a possibility that big "unnamed" factory either signifficantly reduce production or completely shut down for 2 weeks. Contractors like cleaners already got email from their employers working in this factory saying they will not be paid.

So no sick benefit as they are not sick, no unemployment benefit as they are employed. What they are supposed to do for these 2 weeks - eat grass?
    Not to mention that while it is nice that banks deferred mortgage payments for 3 months most of the people in low paid jobs - the really poor people do not have mortgage as they cant get one.
    They usually rent and here again - is city or corporation going to defer payments for renters? I seriously doubt that private landlords will be doing such thing.
    These poor people without income will have no chance to pay their rent or buy food. And while you can survive 2 weeks without food what will happen if those 2 weeks stretch to 4 or 2 months or... pick a number...

This whole approach is crazy and while I can understand why decisions like this are taken - like they do not want to get sued later on as this is like a tradition over here - it make a lot of people suffer unnecessary.

It’s quite common for businesses to “lay off” employees for the short term and those employees get JSB/JSA during the lay off.
    If you’ve been laid off for 4 weeks you can ask to be made redundant if you’ve been working there for 104 weeks.
    You can also apply to DSP for rent supplement in these circumstances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Could you explain why you believe that?
    I don't think that is possible tbh. Maybe for some skeleton level of staff (higher ups) set up with remote access, secure devices etc but most of the workers would not have this afair.
    "working from home" is not something you can just push a button and make happen in the middle of a crisis.

I've been told that we will be working from home next week but I work in a department where everyone has a mobile device.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Walk on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Thought I'd post this but few days ago I had a cold flu, over that now somewhat but really struggling to grasp air into my lungs today and yesterday. Im healthy and have no underlying conditions that I know off

Have taken 2 weeks off work just there

Well do you have a cough? Whether you have a 'wet' cough, runny nose, and other 'wet' features usually distinguishes flu from COVID. Trouble breathing properly can also be a symptom of flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

China getting criticised for letting it spread when countries with weeks of warning are letting it spread as well.

this is what you are concerned about?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭brevity

It’s a pandemic now.

It’s very surreal all the same.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1237779750501912576?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

As usual on this country all problems for the taxpayers...those on the voluntary dole watching movies on sky tv

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/NaomiOhReally/status/1237706206644514816
    Containment no longer priority in Netherlands, Switzerland, France

Over 500 cases now in Netherlands and approaching 500 in the UK, Sweden, Norway

Netherlands is a total clusterfcuk in the making, going to be as bad if not worse than Italy in a week or two.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,016 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Walk back :eek:

Sure it's only a hop skip and a jump from Liverpool to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Eh, yes, yes it bloody well is. How in christ's name can anyone even with a passing interest with the reports of this virus over the last few months be blindly ignorant on this point? No really, how?

Yes, if you're in close proximity to a person who coughs or sneezes virus particles into the air. These then fall to the ground or other surfaces, they dont circulate through the air like other illnesses do. So technically airborne through droplets but keeping your distance from sick people and washing hands after touching surfaces can help avoid infection

At least that was the last update I had seen regarding how "airborne " it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    As usual on this country all problems for the taxpayers...those on the voluntary dole watching movies on sky tv

This will be all problems for everyone. Tax will be the least of your worries in a few weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement