Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Just out of interest.
    Have Russia been affected at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

cloudatlas wrote: »
    The U.K government are going to introduce measures close work places etc., but not yet. One of the professors who is advising the government is also advising his place of work a university and they haven't shut down yet either. what a total moron! or he wants poor people to die! Not sure which one you want to go for.

How long should Ireland quarantine for, until they find the vaccine is it?

Ireland will be in quarantine for two months I believe,
    That is the estimate to flatten the curve.
    I don't think we will have a full lockdown maybe bars and restaurants still to come.
    We don't have the resources with man power to pull of a full lockdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Just out of interest.

Russia total 45 +11 thats what they say.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Just out of interest.

State media has reported that Putin personally, and single handedly, defeated Covid-19 and it has now been removed from Russia.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I have a feeling that Boris' attitude is him trying to save all that cash for the health service his campaign bus was saying they were handing over to Europe, just to show he was right. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Just out of interest.

Yes, but you can't as always trust a word they say, much like Iran.

fc67gV2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Just out of interest.

In Russia, Corona Virus gets infected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Yes, that's what we are planning too, steer clear of playgrounds where the virus can live on plastic and steel surfaces, as well as there being other kids to play with, go to the woods, the beach or whatever floats your boat. Practice good hygiene before leaving and when returning to the house.

Exactly. Sounds reasonable. I would say though that playgrounds will probably be safer in the summer months given that UV light will kill any viruses. Maybe a run of warm sunny days is a bit optimistic for ireland though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

wakka12 wrote: »
    Thats a fairly large epicentre..just an entire continent

I just checked the areas: Europe, 3.931 million square miles, China 3.705 million square miles, (and thats the whole continent, taking in western Russia etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Complex answer to what appears to be a simple question:

Let's call what we have now COVID-19. The 60% immunity will apply to COVID-19. The British plan appears to be to allow it to infect 60% of their population by October. You could expect a huge spike in death rates from October to December ( this is the pattern Spanish Flu followed ).

Their gamble is that by having a controlled rate of infection through September with them increasing and decreasing restrictions ( kind of like stepping on the brake in a car ) in order to improve the economy ( decreased restrictions ) or decreasing the rate of infection ( increased restrictions ) they can let it spread without ever overwhelming the NHS critical care capacity ( which would cause a spike from 2% mortality to 10% mortality ) and then by the time October comes when this could spread like wildfire and utterly overwhelm the NHS killing multiples of the number who die between now and September they'll have enough herd immunity to prevent that.

You can also tell that their advice is that there won't be any meaningful vaccine ( or in sufficient numbers anyway ) by then as this plan only makes sense if they're sure there won't be one.

Theoretically it could work. it is also VERY audacious and if it works they could come out of this very well... To be fair you have to bear in mind that very well both economically and socially in this situation is defined as somewhere between 400,000 to 800,000 dead over the next year in a moderate case scenario so very well is definitely open to interpretation.

If they're wrong though then they'll have conducted a controlled burn of their population and allowed more to die than countries which severely restrict do.

As I said, personally, I think the Irish solution is superior and will work better in the real world. But we'll only know in January 2021 which was right.

Forget Brexit, when they write Boris Johnson's biographies this is what they'll focus on.

With all that said when COVID-21, 22 etc roll around the best defence will be vaccines. I think they're assuming very pessimistic things about vaccine production and availability. Their plan just doesn't make sense to me unless theyre being VERY pessimistic about vaccine production because you've got to assume that, as this is a coronavirus, it will generate quite different yearly strains. If the strains were very similar the herd immunity would work but I just don't believe that the '21 strain of this is going to be similar enough for herd immunity to work.

The British advisors clearly believe differently? Who is right? We'll find out in October 2021.

Welcome to the frustrating world of real world medicine. In the real world you make life and death decisions without knowing if they're the right ones. That is why it is such a tough job emotionally. Imagine how upset you'd be if you realise that despite your best efforts you chose the wrong option.

If these advisers get it wrong they'll be the most hated men in the UK in 18 months time. I wouldn't be surprised to hear they've committed suicide if they're wrong about this. it is all pretty high stakes and sobering

Thanks. Hopefully they dont regret their decision

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Right, I'm getting really pissed off now with my company's response to this crisis. We have just in the last 20 minutes received two more vague emails, in quick succession. They are saying all large meetings, workshops etc are cancelled, but that the offices and canteen remain open, with social distancing measures in place.

There are thousands of people on this site. As of today, I set up my remote working access from my own personal laptop, and can carry out all of my tasks from home. Nowhere in their bull**** emails are they saying "anyone who can work from home must do so" which is really what needs to be said, IMO.

No mention of all the people who have no option other than public transport to get here.

As of Monday, there will still be hundreds of us roaming around here, needlessly. Feel like telling them to **** off tbh.

Just out of interest.

they're not testing for it...

in soviet russia, coronavirus tests you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    There are over 75K closed cases now, death rate has risen to 6.61%
    Unfortunately this number will continue to rise as more hospitals reach full capacity

Recovered - 69,7779
    Dead - 5,088
    =death rate of 7.2% (going by latest JH figures)

I think I read the death rate for <60's is something like 0.2% though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,371 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Just wondering. Kids are off school but am taking them out walking and hiking. No contact with others. That's OK, right?

Deeply worrying the questions people come on here to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Well that is a TLDR if there ever was one.....!!!!

That was the best post in 5 versions of this thread. A one in 5000 post. If there was any post on this topic you should read, that was the one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Dr Ryan is a seriously good speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

Shelga wrote: »
    Right, I'm getting really pissed off now with my company's response to this crisis. We have just in the last 20 minutes received two more vague emails, in quick succession. They are saying all large meetings, workshops etc are cancelled, but that the offices and canteen remain open, with social distancing measures in place.

There are thousands of people on this site. As of today, I set up my remote working access from my own personal laptop, and can carry out all of my tasks from home. Nowhere in their bull**** emails are they saying "anyone who can work from home must do so" which is really what needs to be said, IMO.

No mention of all the people who have no option other than public transport to get here.

As of Monday, there will still be hundreds of us roaming around here, needlessly. Feel like telling them to **** off tbh.

What's stopping you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭A Knight of Ireland

What happens if the country goes into Status Red lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

skimpydoo wrote: »
    I am doing a live Covid-19 music special live from a radio station broadcasting out of Philidelphia. WXVU Villanova Radio which you can get on various radio apps on your phone. I will be mentioning this Boards.ie thread.

LOL! What type of music is COVID-19 congruent? If you're doing that I request Long December by the Counting Crows ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The mayor of Miami has tested positive after attending an event with the Brazilian PM. So either he has it or someone around him does.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I nominate Dr Mike for the top WHO job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Dr Michael Ryan is very impressive I must say.

When all is said and done drag him back here and make him Minister for Health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Berlin transport being scaled back. Guardian feed @about 16.22 Kate Connolly
    Berlin’s mayor, Michael Müller has announced that the German capital’s public transport system is to be drastically scaled back to an “emergency service” in line with other measures to help stop the spread of the coronavirus, and in order to protect its staff and passengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Compared to mainland Europe I'm hopeful and do believe that we will not see the huge spikes that they have seen, and I think we will see this within 2 weeks where the amount of infected people will start to level of....annnnd within another 2 weeks will start to decline!?
    Ps: Remember I said compared to Mainland Europe, I'm not saying anything is good in Ireland about this virus...I don't know,I just feel positive today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Spook_ie wrote: »
    But the virus is likely to be endemic world wide anyway, isn't that the norm after something goes pandemic?

We're in the delay phase now. Hopefully we can remain in the delay phase long term and spread out the burden on the health service.

Delay means keeping the numbers infected as low as possible for as long as possible.

Should hundreds or even thousands come in from the UK who are infected that makes containment and/or delay much more difficult.

Most countries are in the delay stage now. They will take a similar view in a number of months, that the UK is a high risk area, much like Northern Italy is today. You will see this happen when UK cases go beyond 50,000 or 100,000.

China, South Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Vietnam and others will advise against travel to the UK. At the very least they will impose a 2 week isolation period for anyone coming from the UK.

They've fought hard enough to get this under control without going through it all again.

And then you have the question of cruises. What other nationality will want to go on a cruise with someone from the UK? When they could end up infected and the whole ship quarantined.

So no, the so called UK experts, no more than our own in the early days haven't thought the whole thing through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Dr Michael Ryan is very impressive I must say.

When all is said and done drag him back here and make him Minister for Health.

I'd say he'd rather bleed out from Ebola. He's a professor in UCD and teaches on the curriculum from time to time

• Advertisement

What happens if the country goes into Status Red lockdown?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement