Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What happens if the country goes into Status Red lockdown?

You read that book you have over there and have been meaning to for years, you get some serious time on your PS4, Xbox or Netflix, you use the internet even more, etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Downlinz wrote: »

It wasn't so long ago that the Italian lockdown of 10 towns was being described as "Draconian" but those areas now appear to be the safest parts of Italy with no new cases yesterday.

No new cases maybe, but still riddled with it. Hardly the safest parts of Italy by any definition?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Exactly. Sounds reasonable. I would say though that playgrounds will probably be safer in the summer months given that UV light will kill any viruses. Maybe a run of warm sunny days is a bit optimistic for ireland though.

Do you think they'll be off till then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

We're in the delay phase now. Hopefully we can remain in the delay phase long term and spread out the burden on the health service.

Delay means keeping the numbers infected as low as possible for as long as possible.

Should hundreds or even thousands come in from the UK who are infected that makes containment and/or delay much more difficult.

Most countries are in the delay stage now. They will take a similar view in a number of months, that the UK is a high risk area, much like Northern Italy is today. You will see this happen when UK cases go beyond 50,000 or 100,000.

China, South Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Vietnam and others will advise against travel to the UK. At the very least they will impose a 2 week isolation period for anyone coming from the UK.

They've fought hard enough to get this under control without going through it all again.

And then you have the question of cruises. What other nationality will want to go on a cruise with someone from the UK? When they could end up infected and the whole ship quarantined.

So no, the so called UK experts, no more than our own in the early days haven't thought the whole thing through.

But that's epidemic not endemic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Downlinz wrote: »
    If we've learned anything from this crisis it's that measures which seem overly cautious at the time look incredibly sensible a week later.

It wasn't so long ago that the Italian lockdown of 10 towns was being described as "Draconian" but those areas now appear to be the safest parts of Italy with no new cases yesterday.
    I don't think anyone ever saw them as draconian, the numbers out of that one Italian region rose alarmingly and the approach was the logical one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

LOL! What type of music is COVID-19 congruent? If you're doing that I request Long December by the Counting Crows ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Tabnabs wrote: »
    No new cases maybe, but still riddled with it. Hardly the safest parts of Italy by any definition?

Eh no new cases is massive, once everyone with it there either recovers or passes away there is no new source of the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

A former colleague of my husbands was working in europe and got on one of the last flights back to the US from Spain. He said that the amount of people on the flight coughing was alarming. I hope he will self isolate for 2 weeks now that he is back.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The only thing I will say/suggest about the UK is that they still have a quite low case count per rata with population.

Confirmed cases stands at 11.8 cases/million.

This might be reason they have not gone further yet?

In comparison....

Italy 250.0 cases/million
    Denmark 138.3 cases/million
    Spain 92.7 cases/million
    Netherlands 46.9 cases/million
    France 44.1 cases/million
    Germany 41.5 cases/million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Not all EU countries are closing all schools as yet, does this mean we went too early or just right, time will tell

https://en.unesco.org/themes/education-emergencies/coronavirus-school-closures
    Dr Michael Ryan said the main thing is to act quickly in an emergency, and that worrying too much about errors is counter-productive. This seems like good advice, and based on that I think closing the schools was a good idea.

The main thing is to stop people sending their kids out to play in groups now, which completely undermines the action.

He came across very well I thought. I also found interesting his notion of mobilising a country's entire workforce into action against the outbreaks. But I don't really see everyone in Ireland being sufficiently cooperative. Maybe some great community spirit will emerge, but so far there's just been looting and fisticuffs over bags of pasta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

GoBus have cancelled all services, Citylink will be absolutely wedged, they'll probably have to cancel now too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

In Heathrow now. Many people wearing masks but most aren't.
    Looking forward to getting home to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

Big announcement from Aer Lingus expected shortly.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Would ya be going for a pints tonight like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭golfball37

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Do you think they'll be off till then?

I'd imagine so at this stage or at least until after easter break. They haven't cancelled schools where I am yet, but I have kept my daughter home since wednesday, just to see where we are on Monday. I feel like the school will be cancelled by then

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

I got emotional leaving work this evening as i dont know when I'll see them again. Working from home now.

It would be hard not to visit any relative if they got really sick.

I've stopped reading about covid19 as I was getting too anxious with it expecting that I'll die from it.

Take care everyone.

Off to the shops to try and get some bread 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Of course that’s right. This is all they will do and Ireland’s response is the only thing they will do, the situation isn’t evolving currently at all. Nope.

As another poster said, we can do all the locking down we want, but if NI and UK decide to allow it become endemic, we'll be p*ssing in the wind.

Let's hope Arlene Foster sees sense and takes the southern Irish approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭circadian

Good to see some former soviet states doing something

Not thread related but some of his content is fantastic and well worth watching.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

d51984 wrote: »
    Big announcement from Aer Lingus expected shortly.
    I know that a bunch of air traffic controllers are being asked to self-isolate so they can be on standby if all the others get sick. Don't know if that's related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Sure you might as well stay there for a bit, weather is filthy here at the min : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

is_that_so wrote: »
    Lufthansa to apply for financial aid - even the biggest are under pressure.

Either that or its a case of "hey there's financial aid available, lets apply"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

If you were at cheltenham I hope you get tested before going out in the wild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

DOCARCH wrote: »
    The only thing I will say/suggest about the UK is that they still have a quite low case count per rata with population.

In comparison....

Spain 92.7 cases/million

Those stats are quite revealing, theres no reason why Denmark's would be so much higher than France, germany etc, obviously cases in France Germany and Netherlands are at least 2-3x times higher. UK may have gotten off a bit lighter as it is an island and it is doing quite a lot of testing so I would say the disease has spread less there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Tabnabs wrote: »

Maybe there is no new cases because most of the inhabitants are now immune to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

DOCARCH wrote: »

In comparison....

Spain 92.7 cases/million

The stats for testing would be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    USA is next and I've not doubt the cases here will dwarf those in Europe.

I wonder how it works during a lockdown for those people expected to keep working to keep things running, such as those in supermarkets and pharmacies and electricity workers etc. Do they get a choice? A large amount of extra pay?

Just keep working. Have my doubts they wont be much extra pay floating around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Thargor wrote: »
    GoBus have cancelled all services, Citylink will be absolutely wedged, they'll probably have to cancel now too.

https://m.gobus.ie/

As of Monday March 16th, all GoBus.ie services will be suspended until further notice. This is to help in reducing the spread of the Coronavirus.
    Passengers will be updated through social media platforms and for any queries, please contact us by email on info@gobus.ie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement