Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

d51984 wrote: »
    Big announcement from Aer Lingus expected shortly.

Their flights are packed out of shannon still, future booking must be shocking though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Loads of people could die but two of the most prominent stories on the Irish Times at the moment are economy related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

The stats for testing would be important.

Italy, France, Spain, Holland... all big kissers when greeting each other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Hooter23

12,000 to 30,000 people died of normal flu in the last 5 months...maybe we should be on lockdown every winter:rolleyes:

The armed forces are currently being trained to track down those who may be infected.

https://twitter.com/Adam_Higgins27/status/1238454736464076802

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Brianmwalker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

anyone feel like US is purposely messing up the testing thing to keep numbers artificially low?

if they had a comprehensive testing regime they would easily have the highest infection rate outside china.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

DOCARCH wrote: »
    The only thing I will say/suggest about the UK is that they still have a quite low case count per rata with population.

Confirmed cases stands at 11.8 cases/million.

This might be reason they have not gone further yet?

In comparison....

Italy 250.0 cases/million
    Denmark 138.3 cases/million
    Spain 92.7 cases/million
    Netherlands 46.9 cases/million
    France 44.1 cases/million
    Germany 41.5 cases/million

It's a fair point. One note of caution though - while they've done substantially more testing than us, they've used very similar criteria.

Their testing mostly targeted people that had symptoms and had been in China, Italy, Iran, Singapore etc

Spain, France, Germany, USA etc were ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Thargor wrote: »
    GoBus have cancelled all services, Citylink will be absolutely wedged, they'll probably have to cancel now too.

Citylink cork to galway was cancelled last night

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Acedia.

spookwoman wrote: »
    numbers so far today
    r31bSIv.png

This image is too compressed. When I download it and zoom in I can't read it. Looks interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

laugh wrote: »
    Loads of people could die but two of the most prominent stories on the Irish Times at the moment are economy related.

I was in a building today collect some items and 30 staff in another travel related business were let go today.

The economic impact is starting to take effect here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

After the Daily show he's probably warned them all to make sure nothing turned on till 1 sec before talk
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1238478818135945216?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,615 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Best link to track Ireland's count?

RTE have it, don't have , have it, don't have it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Thargor wrote: »
    GoBus have cancelled all services, Citylink will be absolutely wedged, they'll probably have to cancel now too.
    wtf some people still need to get where they are going, this is about reduction in contact not shutdown..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Acedia. wrote: »
    This image is too compressed. When I download it and zoom in I can't read it. Looks interesting

on google docs will be updating after 6
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VnTtGtEGyzDr1sAdoFieLpUeUUP0mbzryebHGUbISj4/edit?usp=sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I'd imagine so at this stage or at least until after easter break. They haven't cancelled schools where I am yet, but I have kept my daughter home since wednesday, just to see where we are on Monday. I feel like the school will be cancelled by then

Yeah, I'd say very likely to be at least that. Lots of family time....
    Ilif you're in the UK I see some parents really struggling with the non school closures. So relieved that it was taken out of our hands here.
    Face palm to those letting kids hang out with their mates, though am sure with teens it's really hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

is_that_so wrote: »
    First case confirmed in Venezuela. Could be problematic for them.
    Correction - they have two cases.

I was in a building today collect some items and 30 staff in another travel related business were let go today.

The economic impact is starting to take effect here.

I'd rather be on social welfare than be enabling foreign travel right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭endainoz

Hooter23 wrote: »
    12,000 to 30,000 people died of normal flu in the last 5 months...maybe we should be on lockdown every winter:rolleyes:

Ah there you are! Nevermind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

laugh wrote: »

The economic impacts and the impact to human life are both impacts on people, in fairness.

Today we have already seen people getting laid off particularly in the childcare, private education and hospitality industries.

Was chatting to some managers who are customers in a service industry (ie, working in an office for good wages) and they're expecting to have to lay people off before the end of the month in the likes of marketing, sales and operations over this.

It's worth talking about. Germany has announced "unlimited" financial support to businesses for example. Even Lufthansa is taking them up on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Marje wrote: »
    I got emotional leaving work this evening as i dont know when I'll see them again. Working from home now.

It would be hard not to visit any relative if they got really sick.

I've stopped reading about covid19 as I was getting too anxious with it expecting that I'll die from it.

Take care everyone.

Off to the shops to try and get some bread 🙂

If managed well a very small number of the population will die from this, most with severe underlying conditions.

The better we control this the less people will die. In this regard everyone has a part to play including making sure older people have access to such things as hand sanitizer.

We got off to a bad start, but we are moving in the right direction now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

On a lighter note, I wonder if the PSN and Xbox servers be able to take the strain in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

walshb wrote: »
    Best link to track Ireland's count?

RTE have it, don't have , have it, don't have it...
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

This one seems to be the best. But I would say any figures outside of the official announcements can be ignored as rumours.

But in all honesty, we have to have at least 1000 cases in the country by now.

Where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

We need to close our borders to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/

This should be in the sticky on the page.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

spookwoman wrote: »
    After the Daily show he's probably warned them all to make sure nothing turned on till 1 sec before talk
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1238478818135945216?s=20

According to Worldometer....

UNITED STATES TO DECLARE NATIONAL EMERGENCY

Turmp is expected to to declare a national state of emergency today at 3:00 P.M ET.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭brick tamland

DOCARCH wrote: »
    The only thing I will say/suggest about the UK is that they still have a quite low case count per rata with population.

Confirmed cases stands at 11.8 cases/million.

This might be reason they have not gone further yet?

In comparison....

Italy 250.0 cases/million
    Denmark 138.3 cases/million
    Spain 92.7 cases/million
    Netherlands 46.9 cases/million
    France 44.1 cases/million
    Germany 41.5 cases/million

Stats not really that relevant anymore in my opinion. Lots of places only testing if patient is hospitalised. As vast majority only have mild symptoms they are just isolating untested (or dont even realise they are sick at all)

Hence the difference between the Korean and Italian death rates. All to do with testing policy

Id hazard a guess that true death rate is what we see in south korea (but probably lower again for same reason as above)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Italian numbers coming soon I assume.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

About 500 die annually in Ireland from flu.
    About 500, 000 globally every year from flu.
    That is with a death rate for influenza of about 0.1%.
    As far as I can find out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement