Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

London Marathon cancelled

Postponed to October

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Lots of HSE staff being redeployed to different areas it's getting very real now not going to lie I'm shook I feel a very nervous energy I can't shake not for myself but for parents, parents in law. I feel like the $hit is about to hit the fan.

You need to relax and instead of being worried about what might happen to them focus your thinking on how you may be able to help when it come.
    People lived through epidemics, famine, wars and life while hard will go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

froog wrote: »
    anyone feel like US is purposely messing up the testing thing to keep numbers artificially low?

if they had a comprehensive testing regime they would easily have the highest infection rate outside china.

No need to seek an explanation in malice when plain incompetence would suffice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Jesus.

Is that 1000 deaths this week?

They'll be having mass burials at this rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

thats for the whole island, ?

Thread title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

London Marathon cancelled

London coronavirus: London Marathon organisers deny reports race has been postponed until October

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Wonder how many people are squashed into half the pubs around this area alone...

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The UK 'experts' seem to be gambling on a higher risk strategy. They want to Let it take its course, let people who care take their own precautions, this may slow it down. A bit like the 'free market' it will kill those who are unlucky or vulnerable and then burn out quickly, leaving those behind resistant, maybe. A vaccine would protect those who get through it 10 to 12 months on. Also chance of a effective treatment beforehand too.

If say 40% contract it, then 4 million will be ill to a moderate to severe degree, resulting in perhaps 400,000 Deaths and two million very ill. Pure guesswork could be better or worse depending on the breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

DOCARCH wrote: »
    The only thing I will say/suggest about the UK is that they still have a quite low case count per rata with population.

Confirmed cases stands at 11.8 cases/million.

This might be reason they have not gone further yet?

In comparison....

Italy 250.0 cases/million
    Denmark 138.3 cases/million
    Spain 92.7 cases/million
    Netherlands 46.9 cases/million
    France 44.1 cases/million
    Germany 41.5 cases/million

This misconception is really dangerous. We have got to stop comparing population size and
    absolute numbers. It's the growth rate and behavior of individual clusters that's important.

Simon Harris, actually explained this rather well. We may see a prominent cluster in one area of the country that requires more extreme measures than elsewhere.

The absolute number of cases in a country isn't important. All things being equal containment wise an infection in Dublin, New York, London, Milan, Wuhan would grow at very similar rates .e.g
    1, 20, 2000, 20,000, 200,00

If a city had less infected it likely means they're just days or weeks behind in the growth cycle.

The "health" of the region needs to be assessed by how much the number of cases is growing.
    NOT the % population infected.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Boggles wrote: »
    The UK have a 10 point plan.

The 2 most radical points being.

1. School trips overseas are cancelled.
    2. Over 70s should avoid cruise ships.

They are fúcked with that absolute clown in charge and if we don't cut them lose we are fúcked.

You know what Boggles I don't agree with you on a lot of things but you're spot on about this.

The UK are going down a path of self-destruction, if this 'herd immunisation' tactic is to be believed. Leaving the elderly and those with underlying health conditions hanging out to dry is akin to genocide.

If they mismanage this even 1/100th as badly as they did Brexit then we are in trouble by simply being neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

There death rate is going to get worse,
    If they really only treating severe case's 60 year old and under in certain areas.

Such grief and sadness RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

saabsaab wrote: »
    The UK 'experts' seem to be gambling on a higher risk strategy. They want to Let it take its course, let people who care take their own precautions, this may slow it down. A bit like the 'free market' it will kill those who are unlucky or vulnerable and then burn out quickly, leaving those behind resistant, maybe. A vaccine would protect those who get through it 10 to 12 months on. Also chance of a effective treatment beforehand too.

If say 40% contract it, then 4 million will be ill to a moderate to severe degree, resulting in perhaps 400,000 Deaths and two million very ill. Pure guesswork could be better or worse depending on the breaks.

They seem to be going against all pragmatic advice.

A survey on sky news said the public were happy with their approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

London coronavirus: London Marathon organisers deny reports race has been postponed until October
    Are you sure?
    Hugh Brasher, the event’s director, said: “The world is in an unprecedented situation grappling with a global pandemic of COVID-19 and public health is everyone’s priority.
    “We know how disappointing this news will be for so many – the runners who have trained for many months, the thousands of charities for which they are raising funds and the millions who watch the race every year.”

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

BloodBath wrote: »
    That's very very speculative. Not gonna have a go at you as you seem quite reasonable most of the time.

I would be very careful before throwing around numbers like that though.

At least not as bad as Accumulators prediction of 5% of the worlds population, a mere 375 million people, dead from it by the end of the summer.

With your figures extrapolated worldwide though, you're saying as many as 100 million might die this year from the virus.

I find that very hard to believe. Bordering on insane levels of fear-mongering speculation.

Statistics and the possibilities therein aren't scaremongering they just are rational workings out of possibilities.

When you do this sort of examination you come up with a worst, medium and best case scenario. You then come up with optimistic, middle and pessimistic sub-scenarios at every level.

The pessimistic worst case scenario is 10% of the world's population. The likelihood of that happening is low but that's what the figures show. Admittedly most of that 10% would be in Africa and dysfunctional regions of the world ( parts of the middle east, south america and far east ) where they could quite easily hit over 20% death rates.

When I first posted figures 2 weeks ago people mistook "hard to believe" for impossible. Now those figures are not seen as hystrionic at all.

So, you may have difficulty believing those numbers but they're within the scope of the models and your difficulty with them doesn't make this untrue. FWIW I sympathise with you since they are horrifying but the key is to do whatever we can to make sure we end up with the optimistic best case scenario numbers instead eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

d51984 wrote: »
    https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/

Simple page with figures for Ireland and Northern Ireland. Updated regularly, a credit to Shane Hastings.

https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/

Cheers for the share - doing my best to keep it updated with official information. Some might have noticed the stats table is a lagging behind the official figures, as at this point I don't think they are going to release that info with the increase in cases.

Speak Now wrote: »
    Postponed to October

so its not cancelled so? /s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭Nermal

Stheno wrote: »
    Jesus.

Over 12,000 people die a week in Italy. No need for the bulldozer yet.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Are you sure?

no, pretty sure i'm wrong actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Stheno wrote: »
    Jesus.

first week from first death 17, 131, 868, and today would be start of new week @ 250

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Nermal wrote: »
    Over 12,000 people die a week in Italy. No need for the bulldozer yet.

But If theses deaths are centralised they might have to do mas burials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭sudzs

Wonder how many people are squashed into half the pubs around this area alone...

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

Looks freezin'!

And all those smokers huddled together with their compromised lungs!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,531 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

On the radio ad it says cough into a tissue and bin it.
    If you don't have a tissue cough into your sleeve.
    Do you throw away your shirt/jumper?
    Do you take it off and wash it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Italy cases are not accurate.

Way more than 17,000 have it.

Closer to 170,000 i would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Might be useful to show kids? twisting science a bit but...
    https://twitter.com/OborneTweets/status/1238514096053669892?s=20

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

MD1990 wrote: »
    Italy cases are not accurate.

Way more than 17,000 have it.

Closer to 170,000 i would think.

I suspect they are completely overwhelmed et lmed.

Are the deaths being counted only those in hospital?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Apparently 14 million of the 60 million people in Italy are over 65. Didn't realise that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

sudzs wrote: »
    Looks freezin'!

And all those smokers huddled together with their compromised lungs!! :eek:

I was watching it on and off for a while actually out of interest lets just say no one is keeping there distance and following the guidelines around there anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

saabsaab wrote: »

Even Italy won't be that bad when they get a handle on it. Nowhere near that bad.

If it gets that bad in the UK we'll have no choice but to stop flights to and from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

NDWC wrote: »
    Apparently 14 million of the 60 million people in Italy are over 65. Didn't realise that
    It's about 23% for the over 65s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

NDWC wrote: »

24%. Ireland is 19%.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement