Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭saabsaab

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    They seem to be going against all pragmatic advice.

A survey on sky news said the public were happy with their approach.

Doing their own thing alright. Those in charge are of similar mind to some generals of world war one. If people die so be it.

A senior British officer was captured by he IRA during the war of independence and they offered to release him in return for a number of their comrades. The British reply was

'he is a british officer and as such must be willing to die'

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Good thing about kids being off school, besides the obvious, is that I didn't have time to check in here today, was actually a good break for the aul brain!

Are we expecting pubs and restaurants to be packed on Paddy’s day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

NDWC wrote: »
    Apparently 14 million of the 60 million people in Italy are over 65. Didn't realise that

Oldest country in the world apart from Japan. Who bizarrely have only had 19 deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,553 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The WHO telling Britain to get their act together without actually naming them.

They should start.

The press starting to ask proper questions too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Statistics and the possibilities therein aren't scaremongering they just are rational workings out of possibilities.

When you do this sort of examination you come up with a worst, medium and best case scenario. You then come up with optimistic, middle and pessimistic sub-scenarios at every level.

The pessimistic worst case scenario is 10% of the world's population. The likelihood of that happening is low but that's what the figures show. Admittedly most of that 10% would be in Africa and dysfunctional regions of the world ( parts of the middle east, south america and far east ) where they could quite easily hit over 20% death rates.

When I first posted figures 2 weeks ago people mistook "hard to believe" for impossible. Now those figures are not seen as hystrionic at all.

So, you may have difficulty believing those numbers but they're within the scope of the models and your difficulty with them doesn't make this untrue. FWIW I sympathise with you since they are horrifying but the key is to do whatever we can to make sure we end up with the optimistic best case scenario numbers instead eh?

I don't think you are qualified to make those calculations nor are you using all the possible data points.

Africa has by far the lowest median age of any continent with a median age of 19.7 years old compared to Europe's of 42.6 and China's (not a continent I know) 38.4 so I think your assumption that it will be way worse in Africa is way off despite their infrastructure.

Don't talk about the models as if you have any clue about how valid they are, what models were used and what data was entered into them because you don't. You're assuming a hell of a lot of stuff which is just bad science.

I'd very much like to see the models for these figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

I suspect we have the same strategy here as well. Manage the peak and hope the peak does not overwhelm hospitals. They are just being a bit more upfront about it. Controlled burn in both cases. Neither country is going down the route that Singapore / South Korea took.

I disagree. I think it is clear that the INTENTION in Ireland is to adhere much more to the South Korea route than the UK route. I think that logistical issues are preventing that but clearly massive efforts are being made to rectify that --- and this has accelerated really quickly so I think the government can be somewhat forgiven for taking a bit of time to get up to speed.

The UK is INTENDING to follow a very different path.

Once the logistical issues are solved you'll see a clear divergence in paths which may be less evident now due to these logistical issues ( it takes time to ramp things up ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In 4 weeks we'll all be Italian. Particular the Brits who will be more Italian than the Italians themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Drink ourselves into oblivion.
    When we sober up this will be all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,144 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think we need to keep an eye on places like Spain and France to get a handle on how deadly the virus is (what scale)

The Italian health service is clearly overwhelmed and cannot cope with case numbers. We need to know if the Italian experience is replicated elsewhere or if the virus can be seriously slowed down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The whole situation cant be good for mental health, I'd expect an upsurge of violent incidents in the coming weeks.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Is there any reason to believe that an Irish health service that is overwhelmed in ordinary times will be anything other than paralysed in the face of what is coming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Shocked at the amount of families out and about today.
    Parents/Guardians-please keep your little virus spreaders at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

spookwoman wrote: »
    After the Daily show he's probably warned them all to make sure nothing turned on till 1 sec before talk
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1238478818135945216?s=20

Well, on the plus side at least the entertainment for tonight is sorted. He's always good for a "laugh at the moron" break... and then a cry when you think how he's Fing it all up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

No we're expecting them to be closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Is there any reason to believe that an Irish health service that is overwhelmed in ordinary times will be anything other than paralysed in the face of what is coming?

Blind misplaced optimism is the only reason I can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Addle wrote: »
    Shocked at the amount of families out and about today.
    Parents/Guardians-please keep your little virus spreaders at home!

Why don't you stay at home with that attitude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

sudzs wrote: »
    Looks freezin'!

And all those smokers huddled together with their compromised lungs!! :eek:

In regards to smoking it's not good, but the world health organization looked at Chinese figures about there deaths and higher risk with the virus the figures were negligible more smoker's got pneumonia
    But most deaths had other underlying health issues

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Necro wrote: »
    You know what Boggles I don't agree with you on a lot of things but you're spot on about this.

The UK are going down a path of self-destruction, if this 'herd immunisation' tactic is to be believed. Leaving the elderly and those with underlying health conditions hanging out to dry is akin to genocide.

If they mismanage this even 1/100th as badly as they did Brexit then we are in trouble by simply being neighbours.

How do people like you actually exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

The whole situation cant be good for mental health, I'd expect an upsurge of violent incidents in the coming weeks.

Why wore you out? I’m shocked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Why don't you stay at home with that attitude

I have to go to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Nermal wrote: »
    Over 12,000 people die a week in Italy. No need for the bulldozer yet.
    That's across the whole country but what use is an undertaker or grave digger in Sicily to you in Milan?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

I was watching it on and off for a while actually out of interest lets just say no one is keeping there distance and following the guidelines around there anyway!

HaHa just saw two guards stop a lad walking around with a pint full of beer.

They let him skull it instead of confiscating it :pac:. So instead of letting the lad sip as he walks around he will be fecking legless now :D

Killanaskully levels of policing but can't argue, very fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

ZX7R wrote: »
    In regards to smoking it's not good, but the world health organization looked at Chinese figures about there deaths and higher risk with the virus the figures were negligible more smoker's got pneumonia
    But most deaths had other underlying health issues

Yep their data didn’t indicate smokers were at higher risk (which was a surprise to them) Dr Bruce Aylward made that point during his first public address arising from the WHO investigation in China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Plenty of restaurants,hair dressers and nail bars closing down this evening for two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd say very likely to be at least that. Lots of family time....
    Ilif you're in the UK I see some parents really struggling with the non school closures. So relieved that it was taken out of our hands here.
    Face palm to those letting kids hang out with their mates, though am sure with teens it's really hard.

I'm in the US so I'm not too sure if they will be cancelled, it varies state by state so far. Although it's a private school so they can choose to close at any time but are holding off for some reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement