Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Plenty of restaurants,hair dressers and nail bars closing down this evening for two weeks.

It’ll be much much longer than that they are shut I suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Addle wrote: »
    Shocked at the amount of families out and about today.
    Parents/Guardians-please keep your little virus spreaders at home!

No harm getting out for some fresh air as long as they limit being in enclosed places and keep their distance from people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,144 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Well the Prof on Liveline was saying that as long as families stay together and keep their distance from others, the risk is low.

The same small groups sticking together is okay. What you don't want is to be coming into close contact with new people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

dinorebel wrote: »
    No we're expecting them to be closed.

Unless we have 200 new cases before then I can't see them been closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

murphaph wrote: »
    That's across the whole country but what use is an undertaker or grave digger in Sicily to you in Milan?!

Didn't I read something about them moving to mandatory cremations for coronavirus victims?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Blind misplaced optimism is the only reason I can think of.
    "Covid-19: HSE says 'delay phase' well planned for" was on RTE feed this morning, Paul Reid gave a speech about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

On the phone with my Italian mother-in-law in Piedmont (south).

The lock down has prevented other areas of Italy from suffering the same fate as Lombardy.

Feel better that we have taken serious yet sensible action early.

43 victims in total in Piedmont.

130 patients in ICU.

Similar population to Ireland 4.4m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Where were they ? Then i see no issue in bringing children out to a large park or empty beach or a walk in a forest .
    Different of course if they are in packed shops or busy cafes

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

It’s an utter joke. People on the streets and in pets taking this as seriously as a headcold.

Then government have to step in and get them all to close.

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »

Truly terrifying, and all ahead of us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

How do people like you actually exist?

What did he say that was in any way incorrect. That is the policy the Tories are pursuing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Didn't I read something about them moving to mandatory cremations for coronavirus victims?

Facebook?

is_that_so wrote: »
    "Covid-19: HSE says 'delay phase' well planned for" was on RTE feed this morning, Paul Reid gave a speech about it.

Words now won’t change their past incompetencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

No harm getting out for some fresh air as long as they limit being in enclosed places and keep their distance from people.

Dublin city centre pubs are jammers this evening
    No social fucking distancing whatsoever :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

One very small crumb of comfort is that that represents 114 fewer new cases compared to yesterday.

Of course the official figures, certainly for confirmed cases, are probably nowhere near the reality, however they will represent the more serious cases.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

Nothing like a pint on a Friday evening. Pub filling up now.

https://imgur.com/a/994dJMs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Of course you being out and about is no issue.

Same ballpark as those pulling into a supermarket car park and then tweeting that everyone who got there before them with the same idea was "panic buying"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Keep them locked in a wardrobe at home. A tube run through the keyhole can be used to feed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,144 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

FutureGuy wrote: »
    It’s an utter joke. People on the streets and in pets taking this as seriously as a headcold.

Then government have to step in and get them all to close.

Walking along the street or around a park is absolutely fine.

What you don't want to be doing is sitting right beside someone new in a cafe, pub or restaurant (I'd say buses and trains are problematic too).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

On the phone with my Italian mother-in-law in Piedmont (south).

The lock down has prevented other areas of Italy from suffering the same fate as Lombardy.

Feel better that we have taken serious yet sensible action early.

Yeah, but what happens when the lockdown ends? Or does the lockdown just go on forever?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I hope you don’t catch it and then end up in hosiptal in a few weeks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Dublin city centre pubs are jammers this evening
    No social fucking distancing whatsoever :mad:

If the pubs themselves do not control this, they will find themselves shut early (at least) in the coming days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Strazdas wrote: »
    The same small groups sticking together is okay. What you don't want is to be coming into close contact with new people.

That sounds like my regular life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Turtwig wrote: »
    This misconception is really dangerous. We have got to stop comparing population size and
    absolute numbers. It's the growth rate and behavior of individual clusters that's important.

Simon Harris, actually explained this rather well. We may see a prominent cluster in one area of the country that requires more extreme measures than elsewhere.

The absolute number of cases in a country isn't important. All things being equal containment wise an infection in Dublin, New York, London, Milan, Wuhan would grow at very similar rates .e.g
    1, 20, 2000, 20,000, 200,00

If a city had less infected it likely means they're just days or weeks behind in the growth cycle.

The "health" of the region needs to be assessed by how much the number of cases is growing.
    NOT the % population infected.
    Genuinely curious about this. I know the absolute numbers can't be compared. But can the growth rate really be the same across all those cities you mentioned? I would have assumed the growth rate would be based on a multitude of variables, population density being an important one. But I would be interested to hear how it is determined

is_that_so wrote: »

Words now might persuade the sheep, but won’t make up for past and continuing incompetencies. I feel so sorry for frontline health care staff. It is going to be a 24/7 s**tshow for months. 24/7 and everyday increasing critical cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Tell them Kermit sent yeh to sort them out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

bilston wrote: »
    Yeah, but what happens when the lockdown ends? Or does the lockdown just go on forever?

In Ireland? I imagine it will be extended until after Easter. at the earliest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I honestly don’t know what to think about the situation. I don’t want to be someone who is a panic merchant but same time want to think of the greater good.

If old people are walking around town tho, what are we to do as young people?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement