Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,144 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Dublin city centre pubs are jammers this evening
    No social fucking distancing whatsoever :mad:

If that is happening, that is stupidity. The Govt gave clear instructions to keep at least a metre away from anyone in an indoor setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

How is Dundalk racing going ahead this evening, less than 100 there hardly maybe people to do with horse racing are immune
    And will people just drink at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Strazdas wrote: »
    If that is happening, that is stupidity. The Govt gave clear instructions to keep at least a metre away from anyone in an indoor setting.

Lock down will be necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Dublin city centre pubs are jammers this evening
    No social fucking distancing whatsoever :mad:

Saw the live cam from inside the Temple Bar pub last night, was jammers.

Still have one doubter at work, she is going out tonight to spite the government and their ott advice:confused:. Guess you can't cure stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Strazdas wrote: »

:pac: a meter away from everyone in a pub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Lock down will be necessary.

Auld wans are the same, told the mother 20x times to stay inside and it falls on deaf ears, off into mass daily. She's over 75!

There needs to be something official on paper to scare them into staying at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭optogirl

The whole situation cant be good for mental health, I'd expect an upsurge of violent incidents in the coming weeks.

Have thought about people living with abusive partners a few times over the past couple of days. And people with kids who are compromised. Must be very very frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Words now won’t change their past incompetencies.

What incompetence? I think the official response here has been top class. Measured, no sense of panic but decisive. The communication has been pretty good too.

WHO seem very impressed with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

is_that_so wrote: »

Their economy is tanking already so Johnson holding off for economic reasons. People staying at home to mind kids will make things much worse. Great start for Johnson. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

UK approach sounds absolutely nuts has WHO made any comment on it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

What is the advantage of closing schools? Children (touch a rain forest worth of wood)appear to be very unlikely to get ill. Of course every country by the UK is doing it, so it obviously has merit.

Does anyone really believe they will re-open at the end of March, obviously that more or less ties in with the Easter holidays, so it's easy for the government to extend to mid April, but after that will they re-open? I honestly expect them to remain closed until September.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Saw the live cam from inside the Temple Bar pub last night, was jammers.

Still have one doubter at work, she is going out tonight to spite the government and their ott advice:confused:. Guess you can't cure stupid.

Bloody Tourists

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Pubs in my town (Kerry) absolutely packed today. Not to mention a crap load of old people around. Mostly 70+ year old men.
    bilston wrote: »
    What is the advantage of closing schools? Children (touch a rain forest worth of wood)appear to be very unlikely to get ill. Of course every country by the UK is doing it, so it obviously has merit.

Children may be "unlikely to get ill", but can spread just like anyone not showing sympthoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The headline on that says school closures could wipe 3% of GDP according to Ministers. They only give a shiite about the economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I honestly don’t know what to think about the situation. I don’t want to be someone who is a panic merchant but same time want to think of the greater good.

If old people are walking around town tho, what are we to do as young people?
    Leave people do what they will and assume that they, as adults, are taking appropriate precautions. As an age group they couldn't care less what people think, a healthy attitude IMO!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Children might not show symptoms but can carry the virus, and thus spread it. Lock a few hundred together, and you can have hundreds of little disease spreaders going home to their elderly parents, siblings, grand parents, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

What time is the announcement today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

In Ireland? I imagine it will be extended until after Easter. at the earliest.

I would agree with that.

But is there not a danger that as soon as the lockdown ends you could end up back at square one of the virus isn't completely eradicated?

I assume that is where the British are coming from. They almost seem resigned to their fate as much as anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Does anyone really believe they will re-open at the end of March, obviously that more or less ties in with the Easter holidays, so it's easy for the government to extend to mid April, but after that will they re-open? I honestly expect them to remain closed until September.

They don't get ill but they are incredibly good as disease vectors, hence closing schools and social distancing can slow down the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭Pistachio19

peddlelies wrote: »
    Auld wans are the same, told the mother 20x times to stay inside and it falls on deaf ears, off into mass daily. She's over 75!

There needs to be something official on paper to scare them into staying at home

Mass being cancelled will surely knock the reality into them. I imagine it's cancelled in most places now - certainly in our diocese in Sligo and around Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

From what we've been told children can appear fine but be super spreaders and bring it home. You are right though thank god it doesn't effect the little ones as much. That is one saving grace in all this madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Nothing like a pint on a Friday evening. Pub filling up now.

https://imgur.com/a/994dJMs

Probably a lot of the same selfish pr**ks leading with people to leave them some groceries.

Needs to be some emergency laws brought in the permit Gardai to shut down pubs which are not complying and fining/charging individuals also. No point making rules unless they are enforced.

Do none of these people have close relations working as doctors/nurses, they are putting those people at serious risk, not today, but when the nurses and doctors have to try treat a huge number of critical patients in a few weeks time each gathering like this now adds more to the number in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭jackboy

DeanAustin wrote: »
    What incompetence? I think the official response here has been top class. Measured, no sense of panic but decisive. The communication has been pretty good too.

WHO seem very impressed with us.

I hope you are being sarcastic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    UK approach sounds absolutely nuts has WHO made any comment on it ?

They called them out on it without naming them directly in their presser today.

Though I think they should go further and actually name them.

It's madness.

I'm so annoyed and worried for my elderly relatives in the UK who are seemingly going to be tossed on the Tory bonfire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

namloc1980 wrote: »
    They don't get ill but they are incredibly good as disease vectors, hence closing schools and social distancing can slow down the virus.
    Here's one view on it.
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/2237259-why-dont-children-seem-to-get-very-ill-from-the-coronavirus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Necro wrote: »

It's madness.

I'm so annoyed and worried for my elderly relatives in the UK who are seemingly going to be tossed on the Tory bonfire.

What exactly did they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Think I am going to give this thread a break for the weekend for my sanity. My anxiety levels are getting too much. Every day I keep waiting for the Italian numbers to drop but they go up and up.

Kids watching a movie, Husband on the way home in the car, stocked up here for the weekend and beyond.

Rang the local shop down home today for my Mum. They will deliver groceries to her every week starting today. She is fully stocked with fuel thanks to a neighbour.

Can't do much else.
    Might drop in here next week. Take care everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Necro wrote: »

It's madness.

Christ :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

anyone any idea why places like Thailand and Mexico are so low , and it is exploding all over Western Europe and U.S. ?

is it the West are doing more testing , and it is in fact rampant in Thaliand and Mexico as well or is it something else ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Based in North Dublin and I've heard what sounds like one of the air corps rescue helicopters pass overheard at least 4 times today.
    Never heard so many times in one day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement