Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Non of it was from social media it’s all from people I know . Hopefully I’m wrong time will tell

where did they get the info??

• Registered Users Posts: 24 No longer eat meat

Yes you read it correctly, whilst all these rituals are good to do from a general hygiene perspective Corona is a breath virus and all the science and data is at best weak. Watch his talk on Joe Rogan for more detail but this man is the top expert epidemiologist on the planet today, nobody knows more about these things than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,108 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

BloodBath wrote: »
    I don't think you are qualified to make those calculations nor are you using all the possible data points.

Africa has by far the lowest median age of any continent with a median age of 19.7 years old compared to Europe's of 42.6 and China's (not a continent I know) 38.4 so I think your assumption that it will be way worse in Africa is way off despite their infrastructure.

Don't talk about the models as if you have any clue about how valid they are, what models were used and what data was entered into them because you don't. You're assuming a hell of a lot of stuff which is just bad science.

I'd very much like to see the models for these figures.

Two possibilities:

1) You are attention seeking

2) >redacted<

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Ireland has probably had CV for a month and we have had one death connected to it. Honestly, this is much to do about nothing I’m convinced of it. I don’t want to be cynical but just can’t see it being that bad. I feel the Italian situation is exaggerated by social media. It’s like here in Ireland we are told of the horrors of people on hospital beds as if it is catastrophic, it’s not ideal but completely gives a false sense of the reality in hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

age old problem with forums, people just cannot be civil to each other.
    half the posters on here would be a small bit more polite to each other if it were a real world group....you still get your point across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

where did they get the info??

Friends and family , listen I said it’s just a feeling so we shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Does that 20 include the hordes of afflicted from the Clayton Hotel &#55358;&#56618; ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Trump is to declare a national State of Emergency in the US. Not sure what restrictions that will bring with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

Some amount of gowls in this thread in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

BetterWay wrote: »
    Anyone else a bit numb after Pseudonym's post earlier saying they predict 60 thousand in the Republic die from this?

He/she have been right about everything so far before it happened

That’s a fair estimate based on the WHO mortality rate if 80% of the population is infected - which is quite possible.

• Advertisement

Ireland has probably had CV for a month and we have had one death connected to it. Honestly, this is much to do about nothing I’m convinced.

alls grand so lads, parades back on, get the pints in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Predictions? What nonsense are you spouting - the numbers and data is widely available. It ain’t gonna magically stop in Ireland tomorrow while it continues to spread everywhere else. Zzzzz... same nonsense over and over.

I never stated it would stop. I'm talking about posters on here who, everytime a modest figure is released, start spouting the same stuff about 'Ah, it'll be hundreds by next week, wait and see..' blah blah.

It's almost ghoulish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Why is the UK saying isolate for 7 days?
    Is everyone else not saying 14 days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

EDit wrote: »
    Does that 20 include the hordes of afflicted from the Clayton Hotel �� ?

Is that place still locked down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Plenty of posters on here constantly saying **** like this...and the numbers never reach anywhere near the level they predict.

Go on, tell us how many will be infected in a day or two then?

Ignore the troll^

I know it's scary but people need to realise Ireland is no different to anywhere else and our numbers are following the same trajectory as pretty much every else. We went from 1 or 2 new cases last weekend to 27/20 4-5 days later. We will be well over 100 cases a day by next friday.

alls grand so lads, parades back on, get the pints in

I’m straight down the middle. I’m responsible, have been keeping a low profile the last week but at same time, I do think it’s a panic born out of a contagion of panic spread by our interconnected world.

Average age of deaths in Italy is 80. I mean it’s not ideal that old people are dying at all and if it was my close relative I’d be sad too, but death comes to us all eventually.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Trump is to declare a national State of Emergency in the US. Not sure what restrictions that will bring with it.

i think its more about freeing up funds to deal with the crisis, altough he could announce some other measures as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Because god forbid they would do the same as rest of Europe.. they seem to want to do their own thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Because they are trying to avoid taking the same advice as the Europeans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

That’s a fair estimate based on the WHO mortality rate if 80% of the population is infected - which is quite possible.

As bad as it got in china theres only just over 1200 dead and they seem to be getting it under control so I think this is a bit dramatic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ireland has probably had CV for a month and we have had one death connected to it. Honestly, this is much to do about nothing I’m convinced of it. I don’t want to be cynical but just can’t see it being that bad. I feel the Italian situation is exaggerated by social media. It’s like here in Ireland we are told of the horrors of people on hospital beds as if it is catastrophic, it’s not ideal but completely gives a false sense of the reality in hospitals.

Jesus Christ. The people saying this kind of thing had some semblance of of an excuse two weeks ago. But at this stage of the process. It's dangerous that there are people like that around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

is_that_so wrote: »
    6 patients in ICU.

Same as yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

i think its more about freeing up funds to deal with the crisis, altough he could announce some other measures as well

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/coronavirus-trump-national-emergency-us-stafford-act-latest-a9400431.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

There is actually some truth in what you say. However, we're talking about a virus that is spreading, that kills 15% - 20% of older people and that there is no cure for.

This is a situation that needs the response it's getting from the government. Not panic but not a shrug of the shoulders either.

Jesus Christ. The people saying this kind of thing had some semblance of of an excuse two weeks ago. But at this stage of the process. It's dangerous that there are people like that around

I have self quarantined and avoided social interactions. Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I know it's been said, but for one moment let's stop and think of all the people working crazy shifts right now in healthcare and government agencies.
    Many of those same people who probably came under flak before this.

From moving equipment, clearing hospitals, doing tracing, calling people, doing announcements, rearranging stuff.

From the lowest paid to the top rank.

Everything they are doing will save lives.

These are now the unsung heroes of our country.
    I hope we can help them and thank them when the times comes.

HERE HERE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

20... isn't bad. Is it? Less than the day before.

I mean, it's not good to have more than 0, but in fairness after yesterday I was expecting in the region of 50 - 70 new cases.

theres thousands in Ireland walking around with it that don't know they have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They did say at one point that the level of immunity conferred by infection and recovery is still not known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Because they need to keep their economy going. They have far more employees than us, so stand to lose far more money when they have to shut down. They have voiced their view that the elderly are expendable in this and I expect the figure of 3.4m deaths is about accurate.
    Ireland has probably had CV for a month and we have had one death connected to it. Honestly, this is much to do about nothing I’m convinced.
    Open up the schools, completedit says it's fine.

Your analysis of the situation is flawed and your assessment is completely wrong and I don't even need to explain to you why because I suspect you already know all of the facts I will present, seeing as you regularly post on the thread and can't possibly have missed all the evidence. Unless you're just cherry-picking facts because you're terrified. In which case I would say that this is the right response.

In order to contain this, we are in for a hellish few months of restriction and emotional turmoil. That is guaranteed, so get used to it. I hope you wise up and stop trying to downplay this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Over 9,200 cases worldwide so far today, almost double what was reported worldwide yesterday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement