Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Over 9,200 cases worldwide so far today, almost double what was reported worldwide yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Ignore the troll^

Posters who disagree with your doomsday scenarios are not trolls. Cut that dismissive crap out.
    I know it's scary but people need to realise Ireland is no different to anywhere else and our numbers are following the same trajectory as pretty much every else. We went from 1 or 2 new cases last weekend to 27/20 4-5 days later. We will be well over 100 cases a day by next friday.

I'll hold you to that figure next week, Nostradamus. After all, we got the very same predictions, if not worse, last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Italy is testing a lot of people, they probably have the most accurate data out there at the moment
    Same rumors about China underestimated numbers when in fact they stopped the spreading and never had the hundred thousands of undetected cases that people were talking about

How do you know they didn't if they were never tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

They have changed the advice to anyone with symptoms to contact GP so I think that will likely lead to an increase in testing and a likely increase in identified cases. It’s not a case than only 90 people in the country have Covid-19. Its that 90 people have tested positive. There are likely hundreds more who haven’t been tested, may have milder symptoms, may feel they can manage without a GP, are afraid to contact their GP etc. or are in the ‘I’m not paying the doctor 60 Euro to tell me what I already know’ brigade.
    I’m glad the government has taken action while confirmed numbers are relatively low. I fear it’s going to spiral out of control in the UK unless they take more decisive action now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

mean gene wrote: »
    theres thousands in Ireland walking around with it that don't know they have it

Using the UK figures from yesterday, it would suggest that about 750 Irish people 'could' have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Ireland has probably had CV for a month and we have had one death connected to it. Honestly, this is much to do about nothing I’m convinced of it. I don’t want to be cynical but just can’t see it being that bad. I feel the Italian situation is exaggerated by social media. It’s like here in Ireland we are told of the horrors of people on hospital beds as if it is catastrophic, it’s not ideal but completely gives a false sense of the reality in hospitals.

Step on down!

This thread has been waiting for a handrail licker to go and test these sort of theories. Your mission is to go to at least 5 supermarkets and lick handrails, shopping trollies, baskets or any other surface that huge amounts of people have been touching.

Wait 2-14 days and report back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

HERE HERE

It's Hear Hear !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Posters who disagree with your doomsday scenarios are not trolls. Cut that dismissive crap out.

I'll hold you to that figure next week, Nostradamus. After all, we got the very same predictions, if not worse, last week.

You can hold me to it too.

100 is very, very conservative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

Anybody with medical knowledge know what being tested positive with covid19 entails? What are the markers exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The way thing are going, my guess would be 200-250 million globally over next 12-18 months.

Stop talking ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Because they need to keep their economy going. They have far more employees than us, so stand to lose far more money when they have to shut down. They have voiced their view that the elderly are expendable in this and I expect the figure of 3.4m deaths is about accurate.

Open up the schools, completedit says it's fine.

Your analysis of the situation is flawed and your assessment is completely wrong and I don't even need to explain to you why because I suspect you already know all of the facts I will present, seeing as you regularly post on the thread and can't possibly have missed all the evidence. Unless you're just cherry-picking facts because you're terrified. In which case I would say that this is the right response.

In order to contain this, we are in for a hellish few months of restriction and emotional turmoil. That is guaranteed, so get used to it. I hope you wise up and stop trying to downplay this.

Where are you getting the figure of 3.4m deaths in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

As another poster said, we can do all the locking down we want, but if NI and UK decide to allow it become endemic, we'll be p*ssing in the wind.

Let's hope Arlene Foster sees sense and takes the southern Irish approach.

Sorry but the WHO just said that there is no point in stopping flights. It’s already taken hold in Ireland. Every country is pissing in the wind now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

On the advice of the relevant statutory authorities, the 2020 Vhi Women’s Mini Marathon, scheduled to take place on Sunday May 31st, will be postponed. We understand this is disappointing but it is in the best interest of the community.

This decision has been taken in light of the growing threat presented by COVID-19.

The event will be re-scheduled to Autumn. We will confirm the date in the coming days.

The team at Vhi Women’s Mini Marathon will continue to liaise closely with the relevant statutory authorities regarding the staging of the event and will update all of our participants in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

Hi all,

Been reading a lot about this lately. I remember a bit about the Swine flu at the time but never realise how bad it was.

There were up to 1.2 billion people infected with the Swine Flu outbreak and anywhere between 200,000 and 500,000 deaths. Ireland had 475 deaths.

Obviously twitter, smartphones and instagram have helped bring Covid 19 more into the spotlight, but is it any worse than the Swine Flu? I know the swine flu was devastating but it didn't seem to cause the panic we're now witnessing. I also know that the death rate for C19 is around 3.4% right now but that's because of massive under testing. South Korea is probably the best place to look for the mortality rate as they do the most testing and it's at 0.5% and likely to drop further.

I understand the issue here will be if hospitals get over crowded then deaths will explode, but how did we cope with the Swine Flu? How long can we shut everything down before the economy can't take anymore?

Just for perspective, I agree with the shut down, but I can't see it last more than a month as then not only will it then be a health risk, it'll also probably cause the deepest recession ever seen. There is going to be massive job losses and personal misery brought upon those that don't even suffer symptoms of this disease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Silverfish wrote: »
    Its a shame, but what country had resources to give? Most if not all are now facing the same battle Italy is, I doubt they have anything to spare.

RE: China aid sent to Italy

In hard times, even small gestures can be important and will be remembered.
    Resources can also be medical expertise for example, not just equipment.
    Chinese ICU doctors are also advising their Italian counterpants via Skype.

I don't know why or how, but when I saw the images of the plane from China, first thing I thought was the true story of the Native American tribe which sent food to Ireland during the famine.
    I have heard that true story so many times, and from so many different people,it clearly stuck in the collective psyche.

PS just found the name: the Choctaw Nation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Ireland has probably had CV for a month and we have had one death connected to it. Honestly, this is much to do about nothing I’m convinced of it. I don’t want to be cynical but just can’t see it being that bad. I feel the Italian situation is exaggerated by social media. It’s like here in Ireland we are told of the horrors of people on hospital beds as if it is catastrophic, it’s not ideal but completely gives a false sense of the reality in hospitals.

Or exponential growth means things take time to get out of hand and then get out of hand fast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The lad asking questions of Dr Holohan at the moment, Paul something or other?

What a fúcking idiot!
    Completely misunderstanding what the purpose of flattening the curve is!

It's not to stop people getting infected, it's to slow the rate of infection sufficiently to allow our health service to cope without collapse.

Very poor journalism and honestly I'd sack this twat!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I don't think we'll actually jump to 100 cases a day at any stage being completely honest.

Firstly, I don't think we have the testing capabilities

Secondly, we don't have the densely crowded urban areas like Madrid for example.

That will *hopefully* work in our favour, along with the procedures put in place already.

We are probably going to have to see closures of pubs and restaurants at some point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Maybe stop calling it my 'doomsday scenarios' so? I'm able to read data and extrapolate it for here, the trend is clear to see but go on, put your head back in the sand.

Hold me to that figure then. The situation on the continent has deteriorated since last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

INMO Trolley Watch.

https://www.inmo.ie/Trolley_Ward_Watch

64 beds short today... lowest numbers in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

BloodBath wrote: »
    Stop talking ****e.

Hey dude it’s just my guess, the question was asked, everyone is entitled to answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Haven't been attending my gym this week for obvious reasons. Have been waiting for the email saying that they're closed until further notice like have gone out to Flyefit and Ben Dunnes.

Got an email with the subject "Important Member Notice" and thought "Ah, no need to feel guilty now, they're closing.." only to read:
    We take the health and safety of all our staff, members and guests extremely seriously and will continue to remain vigilant to government and governing body updates on the spread of the virus and will keep monitoring the situation.

There is no reason given that anyone should not continue to use our clubs as normal at this time, in fact staying fit and healthy is vital in fighting this virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,615 ✭✭✭✭walshb

100 new cases per week maybe...not per day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That 1.9m infection figure apparently came from tUK modelling. Dr Colm Henry saying it's really a distraction from what we can do. Hard to argue with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Necro wrote: »
    I don't think we'll actually jump to 100 cases a day at any stage being completely honest.

Firstly, I don't think we have the testing capabilities

Secondly, we don't have the densely crowded urban areas like Madrid for example.

That will *hopefully* work in our favour, along with the issues.

We are probably going to have to see closures of pubs and restaurants at some point though.

Neither does Scandinavia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Denmark closing borders now. The aul EU solidarity going out the window. The EU as a political entity at least, will find it hard to overcome this. It's every country for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Ireland has probably had CV for a month and we have had one death connected to it. Honestly, this is much to do about nothing I’m convinced of it. I don’t want to be cynical but just can’t see it being that bad. I feel the Italian situation is exaggerated by social media

I thought we were done with this level of delusion at this point, but hey.. there are still some who think it's just a flue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

otnomart wrote: »
    a table on measures taken by various countries - seen on Twitter

https://twitter.com/leehemmings91/status/1238380740062175232

AevgXrOg.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

i think its more about freeing up funds to deal with the crisis, altough he could announce some other measures as well

I think he's giving this at 7pm Irish time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement