Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Because they need to keep their economy going. They have far more employees than us, so stand to lose far more money when they have to shut down. They have voiced their view that the elderly are expendable in this and I expect the figure of 3.4m deaths is about accurate.

3.4 million deaths accurate, where the UK ?? gonna need a source on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Denmark closing borders now. The aul EU solidarity going out the window. The EU as a political entity at least, will find it hard to overcome this. It's every country for themselves.

Italians going nuts over on EU Facebook pages, I reckon it's sealed its faith for the Italians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Denmark closing borders now. The aul EU solidarity going out the window. The EU as a political entity at least, will find it hard to overcome this. It's every country for themselves.

There are closures of movement within countries too. It doesn't mean the end of solitary between EU countries, just a temporary measure to stop spread.

What's the point of infecting the whole EU as a matter of principle?

It's not a choice of keeping absolutely everything exactly as per ideals of freedom of movement in the middle of a massive health crisis or abandoning the entire concept of the EU.

I get fed up with these Brexity absolutisms.

It's in the EU's best interests to limit spread, and that may well mean disruption to travel for a while. That may well happen within the US, the UK, Germany, France and it's already the case within Italian borders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

BetterWay wrote: »
    Anyone else a bit numb after Pseudonym's post earlier saying they predict 60 thousand in the Republic die from this?

He/she have been right about everything so far before it happened

He/She is not remotely qualified or knowledgeable enough to make such predictions. In fact it's frankly irresponsible of a health care worker to be making them.

Like anyone on this forum take everything said with a large pinch of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Denmark has full authority under EU law to seal its own borders for health or security reasons.

'Freedom of movement' is a completely different subject (relates to employment, study and residence).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Xertz wrote: »
    There are closures of movement within countries too. It doesn't mean the end of solitary between EU countries, just a temporary measure to stop spread.

Big EU fan here. The lack of clear pan communication has been shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

banie01 wrote: »
    The lad asking questions of Dr Holohan at the moment, Paul something or other?

What a fúcking idiot!
    Completely misunderstanding what the purpose of flattening the curve is!

It's not to stop people getting infected, it's to slow the rate of infection sufficiently to allow our health service to cope without collapse.

Very poor journalism and honestly I'd sack this twat!

Plus your one who can barely speak/finish a sentence. Nothing against them as people but as journalist we expect informed and fluent questions to be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

They closed towns and cities in Italy before the lockdown. And they’re doing the same in Spain. Closing borders is a normal way to slow down the spread of a virus.

What will come out of all this is a more powerful ECDC with powers to harmonise response across the Union. This should’ve been an EU issue but there was no precedence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Xertz wrote: »

Harris referred today to more focus on some clusters over others. This is much the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Short term measures to deal with a virus is neither an indication of EU sentiment nor a malus for EU inegrity going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

cnocbui wrote: »
    Two possibilities:

1) You are attention seeking

2) >redacted<

I post a lot less in this thread than most of you and usually only to call out BS and this has been the most active i have been on boards in years but I'm attention seeking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Haven't been attending my gym this week for obvious reasons. Have been waiting for the email saying that they're closed until further notice like have gone out to Flyefit and Ben Dunnes.

Got an email with the subject "Important Member Notice" and thought "Ah, no need to feel guilty now, they're closing.." only to read:

Gyms would surely be an excellent breeding ground for CV. No fresh air and people in close contact sweating buckets. Not to mention the amount of people that don't wipe down benches/machines properly or don't bother at all. That advice in the e-mail seems irresponsible at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Should be said in their defence that health issues and diseases etc are not an EU competence. It's mostly not covered by EU law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

INMO Trolley Watch.

https://www.inmo.ie/Trolley_Ward_Watch

64 beds short today... lowest numbers in a long time.

Last few days as low as I've seen it, there has to be lessons learned for the Health Dept. when they analyse this in a few months time. Still shortages but much more manageable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Posters who disagree with your doomsday scenarios are not trolls. Cut that dismissive crap out.

I'll hold you to that figure next week, Nostradamus. After all, we got the very same predictions, if not worse, last week.

Just to chime in that it is pretty certain we will be at 100 new cases a day by next Friday. It is just the way the numbers work. This current lockdown wouldn't have fed through by then so it should increase at around the rate as it has been - which would mean we hit 100 new daily cases on Friday, maybe Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Would this whole thing have blown up if there wasn't seemingly a link between Wuhan and that Northern region of Italy?

Italy seems to be the source for most of the Western world rather than China itself.........if I remember correctly the Sars virus only seemed to take a hold in China and Canada for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

statesaver wrote: »
    Because they need to keep their economy going. They have far more employees than us, so stand to lose far more money when they have to shut down. They have voiced their view that the elderly are expendable in this and I expect the figure of 3.4m deaths is about accurate.
    [/B]

67m population
    60% infected = 40m
    8% death rate ~ 3.3m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Haven't been attending my gym this week for obvious reasons. Have been waiting for the email saying that they're closed until further notice like have gone out to Flyefit and Ben Dunnes.

Got an email with the subject "Important Member Notice" and thought "Ah, no need to feel guilty now, they're closing.." only to read:

Im still deciding myself. No sign of mine closing and I go after work (3am) so it is usually empty or one/two others. Logically I know that is fine as long as I take care of my hygiene. But something in the back of my head is telling me that after giving out about punters in my pub all day that it is a touch hypocritical not to stay the F home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Yeah there's been a bit of a headless chicken approach, but again that is likely down to the fact that the EU has extremely limited roles in health due to various vetos of ever setting anything like that up. We've a few agencies and some degree of cooperation, but do not confuse the EU for an actual federal state. It's still a multilateral body that pools things on an agreed basis.

If anything, this should show the dangers of this half-arsed approach to the EU.

My view is the EU needs to have a conversation now that the UK is gone about whether we want federalism or not. If we do, let's do it right. If we don't, let's not keep adding layers of quasi-federal systems that don't work properly and concentrate on what we can do without them.

People seem to expect the EU to be like the US federal government in a crisis like this. It absolutely is not anything like that. Yet, if it tries to become more like a federal government, there's uproar too.
    We seem to want to have it both ways - the bells and whistles of a federal democracy, with none of the structures or real power and resource sharing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

20 new cases... might be dangerous for those concerned but does it justify the (education) shutdown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

statesaver wrote: »

That seems a bit excessive. Worst case scenario you'd be looking at between 1.2 -2.4 million deaths . That's assuming literally everyone in the UK is infected and the death rate is between 2 and 4%.
    8% death rate

I think that that's the death rate in Italy, but that seems to be atypical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 13 March 2020

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-2020-03-13.png?itok=CFUnaEIb

Daily number of cases continues to rise in Europe.

Now a lot higher than the Chinese at the peak of their epidemic.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

:-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

https://beta.courts.ie/news/statements-respect-arrangement-courts-%E2%80%93-13th-march-2020

Huge changes to yesterday’s plans by the courts service this evening

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I'm absolutely still using the gym as normal.

In that, I'm paying and not going.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

Hi all,

Just trying to compare Covid19 to the Swine Flu

Been reading a lot about this lately. I remember a bit about the Swine flu at the time but never realise how bad it was.

There were up to 1.2 billion people infected with the Swine Flu outbreak and anywhere between 200,000 and 500,000 deaths. Ireland had 475 deaths.

Obviously twitter, smartphones and instagram have helped bring Covid 19 more into the spotlight, but is it any worse than the Swine Flu? I know the swine flu was devastating but it didn't seem to cause the panic we're now witnessing. I also know that the death rate for C19 is around 3.4% right now but that's because of massive under testing. South Korea is probably the best place to look for the mortality rate as they do the most testing and it's at 0.5% and likely to drop further.

I understand the issue here will be if hospitals get over crowded then deaths will explode, but how did we cope with the Swine Flu? How long can we shut everything down before the economy can't take anymore?

Just for perspective, I agree with the shut down, but I can't see it last more than a month as then not only will it then be a health risk, it'll also probably cause the deepest recession ever seen. There is going to be massive job losses and personal misery brought upon those that don't even suffer symptoms of this disease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,909 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Jesus it's gone even tetchier than normal in here this evening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 13 March 2020

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-2020-03-13.png?itok=CFUnaEIb

Daily number of cases continues to rise in Europe.

Now a lot higher than the Chinese at the peak of their epidemic.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

:-(

The rotten b*stards have seemingly managed to keep it under control in their own country or possibly on the other side of it. Released it into Italy by sending their own into what is essentially the centre of Europe. And now sit and watch as we struggle. Can’t help but say this has an eerie feeling to it. The Chinese ... you couldn’t put anything past them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

What nonsense! Closing the borders to stem the spread is not throwing away solidarity. It's just bloody practical.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement