Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

I’m straight down the middle. I’m responsible, have been keeping a low profile the last week but at same time, I do think it’s a panic born out of a contagion of panic spread by our interconnected world.

Average age of deaths in Italy is 80. I mean it’s not ideal that old people are dying at all and if it was my close relative I’d be sad too, but death comes to us all eventually.

You obviously missed the audio and video of Milanese doctors saying they've stopped intubating the over 60s in order to save the 50-year olds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Gyms would surely be an excellent breeding ground for CV. No fresh air and people in close contact sweating buckets. Not to mention the amount of people that don't wipe down benches/machines properly or don't bother at all. That advice in the e-mail seems irresponsible at best.
    Actually, I've noticed near obsessive cleaning in my gym by staff and members. They have also put notices everywhere and regularly update their social media with reminders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Living out in Warsaw.
    Government just locked down the country, Slovakia and Czech Republic shut down their borders too.
    All flights in and out banned from Sunday, everything apart from pharmacies and food stores will be closed from tomorrow.
    So to be honest, I would imagine it's a matter of time until Ireland decides to follow suit.
    I'm just staggered at the UKs stance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Why are the experts predicting a peak in June, when China's peak pretty much came about 1.5 months after early cases - 1 month after it was acknowledged and crackdowns...

Is it just the severity of the lockdown and the resources China has ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Just to chime in that it is pretty certain we will be at 100 new cases a day by next Friday. It is just the way the numbers work. This current lockdown wouldn't have fed through by then so it should increase at around the rate as it has been - which would mean we hit 100 new daily cases on Friday, maybe Saturday.

And we will have all the Cheltenham hoo haas back next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

jamesf85 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Obviously twitter, smartphones and instagram have helped bring Covid 19 more into the spotlight, but is it any worse than the Swine Flu?

Yes it is far worse than swine flu. Just offering one example, Covid infections result in a very large proportion of critical patients that require intensive treatment to keep alive. The issue is it swamps health services very very rapidly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

jamesf85 wrote: »
    but is it any worse than the Swine Flu?

Yes.

Swine flu had far lower fatality and hospitalization rates. If I remember correctly, the major at-risk group were pregnant women.

Swine flu killed about the same number of people as seasonal flu, so it was like seasonal flu * 2. There was a vaccine developed for swine flu, which was heavily criticized for being rushed (one of the reasons I imagine that we won't have a vaccine for covid any time soon)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Same applies as has done so far, any symptoms contact a GP, otherwise carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,120 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Some inbred Cheltenham-head on Matt Cooper just said "I'm not self isolating because I feel fine now so why would I?"

Honestly the Cheltenham heads just need to be rounded up and locked in a shipping container or shed at the airport for a few months. That amount of stupidity isn't safe to let out at the best of times let alone now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

DOCARCH wrote: »

Yes, you have to think that is going to be a factor. They will feed in the week after next, just when we will be hoping the current lockdown will be reducing daily numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Lesnar Defender

We need to close our land border with the UK. It isn't safe after the measures their government implemented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Yes.

Swine flu had far lower fatality and hospitalization rates. If I remember correctly, the major at-risk group were pregnant women.

Swine flu killed about the same number of people as seasonal flu, so it was like seasonal flu * 2. There was a vaccine developed for swine flu, which was heavily criticized for being rushed (one of the reasons I imagine that we won't have a vaccine for covid any time soon)

Was that not zika virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

You obviously missed the audio and video of Milanese doctors saying they've stopped intubating the over 60s in order to save the 50-year olds.

Any source or evidence to back this claim up? There is that much fake news going around this week that it's difficult to know what real and whats bull.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Denmark closing borders now. The aul EU solidarity going out the window. The EU as a political entity at least, will find it hard to overcome this. It's every country for themselves.

Solidarity IS closing the border. Denmark has a pretty bad outbreak of the disease. It is as much a danger to its neighbors as they are to it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Yes, you have to think that is going to be a factor. They will feed in the week after next, just when we will be hoping the current lockdown will be reducing daily numbers.

And of course the March 12th Tesco/Dunnes/Supervalu/Aldi/Lidl panic shoppers! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

pjohnson wrote: »
    Some inbred Cheltenham-head on Matt Cooper just said "I'm not self isolating because I feel fine now so why would I?"

Honestly the Cheltenham heads just need to be rounded up and locked in a shipping container or shed at the airport for a few months. That amount of stupidity isn't safe to let out at the best of times let alone now.

We need to immediately cancel all grants, subsidies and tax breaks given to Horse Racing. It is already a millionaires playground and it no longer deserves taxpayers funding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Im still deciding myself. No sign of mine closing and I go after work (3am) so it is usually empty or one/two others. Logically I know that is fine as long as I take care of my hygiene. But something in the back of my head is telling me that after giving out about punters in my pub all day that it is a touch hypocritical not to stay the F home.

Same here, I go at 5am and am typically one of 2 or 3 people there. I know if I wipe down everything before and after use I should be fine. But probably better to avoid completely. Guess I'll dust off the old exercise mat at home. The dog is around 16kg now, should be good for some lifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,120 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

is_that_so wrote: »
    Same applies as has done so far, any symptoms contact a GP, otherwise carry on.

Aside from the fact you can carry it without showing symptoms and spread it around even more. Like the Dr. Virus in Clare after his ski trip.

People are desperate to cause this to spread or are just dangerously stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭bloopy

Is there any videos from Italy from people affected or infected by the coronavirus or from the hospitals. Just curious to see what we may be in for in the weeks ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

https://beta.courts.ie/news/statements-respect-arrangement-courts-%E2%80%93-13th-march-2020

Huge changes to yesterday’s plans by the courts service this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

If the British approach goes badly wrong, won’t that drag Ireland down the plug-hole too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Arra maybe he has no elderly relative or pregnant family members, bit selfish and insensitive to those that do though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Xertz wrote: »
    My view is the EU needs to have a conversation now that the UK is gone about whether we want federalism or not.
    f*ck that for a game of soldiers

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

We need to close our land border with the UK. It isn't safe after the measures their government implemented.

I think they should harmonise policy across the island

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Would that of been John Duggan?

Was that not zika virus?

Zika as well, though I think that with Zika there wasn't a danger of death, but rather of damage to the fetus. I think that microcephely was associated with zika virus infection, but I'd have to look it up to be sure.

Also I think that zika is only from mosquitoes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Xertz wrote: »
    Yeah there's been a bit of a headless chicken approach, but again that is likely down to the fact that the EU has extremely limited roles in health due to various vetos of ever setting anything like that up. We've a few agencies and some degree of cooperation, but do not confuse the EU for an actual federal state. It's still a multilateral body that pools things on an agreed basis.

If anything, this should show the dangers of this half-arsed approach to the EU.

My view is the EU needs to have a conversation now that the UK is gone about whether we want federalism or not. If we do, let's do it right. If we don't, let's not keep adding layers of quasi-federal systems that don't work properly and concentrate on what we can do without them.

People seem to expect the EU to be like the US federal government in a crisis like this. It absolutely is not anything like that. Yet, if it tries to become more like a federal government, there's uproar too.
    We seem to want to have it both ways - the bells and whistles of a federal democracy, with none of the structures or real power and resource sharing.

Very true. You cannot have it both ways (unless you are a complete cynic who will attack EU/common european institutions one day for not stepping up/doing enough in a crisis like this and the next day for daring to give direction to Ireland on borrowing money & budgets or how we tax Apple etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

any way for the NI government to unilaterally enact measures of their own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    It's Hear Hear !

Doesn't matter, the virus is HERE. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think we should do the same, along with closure of all pubs or nightclubs. I think restaurants and cafes for the moment could stay open as long as they can provide sufficient distance between tables.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement