Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

In other news, coronovirus seems to have solved our homeless crisis as we never hear anything about that now.

Think that one may have been funnier in your head! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Serious question how many people on here have been stocking up on stuff ?
    Is it not a bit early or over dramatic for all that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Downlinz wrote: »
    It's a problem because business interests and government don't want the economic wheels to stop spinning and are willing to sacrifice the taxpaying hamsters to as far an extent as they feel they'll get away with. That's where your concern should directed.

People on the dole have their own problems at the moment since they can't afford to gather weeks of supplies the rest of us are stockpiling.

When the stock runs out they will jump to charities and food banks so no compassion at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Drumpot wrote: »
    This is the most sobering and authoritative conference I have watched from WHO the last 2 months.

This is actually horrible as its all been sort of hypothetical until now, their message is basically everybody has to do their part and start doing what needs to be done to get through this. This is a wartime rally call, people need to get that into their heads. This is going to affect us all regardless of what we do, but getting it wrong could cost us alot more financially and socially in the long run.

Feels like UK and US are getting an indirect kick in the bollox for their approachs thus far.

have you got a link to watch it by any chance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,146 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

81 countries have no cases?

Can someone name them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Drumpot wrote: »
    This is the most sobering and authoritative conference I have watched from WHO the last 2 months.

This is actually horrible as its all been sort of hypothetical until now, their message is basically everybody has to do their part and start doing what needs to be done to get through this. This is a wartime rally call, people need to get that into their heads. This is going to affect us all regardless of what we do, but getting it wrong could cost us alot more financially and socially in the long run.

Feels like UK and US are getting an indirect kick in the bollox for their approachs thus far.

Yes WHO are not mixing their words on what they have recommended that countries need to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Everyone of them returning should be put into a forced lock down, Government should be taking over hotels, they're empty anyway with no on travelling, and use those hotels as holding areas for thousands of high risk would be spreaders. It's what china did, of course they built a hotel in a day, yes it fell down a month later , but still

As I understand it, the building which fell down in China was an existing hotel with a supermarket on the ground floor. It was being used for isolating contacts who were not very ill.

Apparently builders renovating the supermarket removed a structural column which caused the disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

81 countries have no cases?

Can someone name them.

Just basically most of Africa, and probably some microstates in the Polynesians and Caribbean

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I just did a big shop. Not a panic shop, not like 58 rolls of bog roll. But just stuff I can store and keep for the next two weeks or so to minimise my need to go outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    have you got a link to watch it by any chance ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

I wouldn't say stocking up i got some extra cans of kidney beans and pasta and paracetamol. Nobody will starve I'm more worried about my parents who are so out of touch and don't realise the danger both at high risk and not paying any notice. Is this a generational thing anyone else's parents just shrugging it off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

No, disaster doesn't wait around until you're ready before it hits.

Not that I have a massive stockpile, really just a few weeks. Probably should have done a bit more tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

this might be a stupid question but everybody is worried about travelling to a country thats advised against by DFA....what if you are abroad and Ireland is deemed to be be a Red Zone and travel from that country home is banned?

Do Airlines/travel companies have a requirement to put you up until such time as its possible to return back to Ireland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/9vdxgM/forsta-svenska-dodsfallet-i-nya-coronaviruset
    Person who died in Sweden had not travelled abroad, had no personal contacts with COVID and did not use public transport.

https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/sa-planerar-de-att-stoppa-coronaviruset2/
    Almost 250 cases in Stockholm alone

Afton Bladet is a rag not known for its factual reliability. Given that it’s impossible to just contract the virus without some type of contact, I’d wait until a more reliable source shares the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Yes WHO are not mixing their words on what they have recommended that countries need to do

Literally saying there "we should double down and be more aggressive", not give up and accept its going to be bad .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

daheff wrote: »
    this might be a stupid question but everybody is worried about travelling to a country thats advised against by DFA....what if you are abroad and Ireland is deemed to be be a Red Zone and travel from that country home is banned?

Do Airlines/travel companies have a requirement to put you up until such time as its possible to return back to Ireland?

That will not happen. You will always be allowed to return home, just maybe you might be quarantined upon arrival. Anyway that is a long ways away before that would ever happen to Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 BetterWay

Is it possible to read this thread like Reddit in terms of most Thanked posts?

The volume of posts in it and the speed its moving at is making it impossible to see the important stuff

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

BetterWay wrote: »

The volume of posts in it and the speed its moving at is making it impossible to see the important stuff

Thanks

Nope

Countries with under 100 need to cut it in the bud, WHO

''DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES!'' WHO

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

Is this a generational thing anyone else's parents just shrugging it off ?

No my mum has been on self imposed lockdown for the past week. The reality is it is spreading in our community already. She's not going to fare out too well if she gets it and she knows that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I wouldn't say stocking up i got some extra cans of kidney beans and pasta and paracetamol. Nobody will starve I'm more worried about my parents who are so out of touch and don't realise the danger both at high risk and not paying any notice. Is this a generational thing anyone else's parents just shrugging it off ?

Ye my parents are in the same, both would be high risk but they don't seem to care, but neither would be out in public and around crowds as both are retired and spend most of there time at home together or out for a walk ,

To be fair there isn't much you can really do about it is there
    You just gotta keep away form large events and get on with your life and try avoid it,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

WHO not mincing their words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Countries with under 100 need to cut it in the bud, WHO

''DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES!'' WHO
    So we have about 3 days to get our finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

BetterWay wrote: »

Thanks

Yup. Just go to my posts on my profile.

WHO now saying '' do what ever it takes''

Shut it down, shut it down now !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

UrbanFret wrote: »
    So we have about 3 days to get our finger out.

We'll need to organise a committee to discuss this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,826 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

pad199207 wrote: »
    Pandemic now. Can’t see the schools remaining open much longer

The decision will still be based on Irish case numbers. "Pandemic" simply means a virus or infectious disease that is present in many countries or worldwide (but we already knew that).

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

I think it varies so much between people of all ages. Shure look at all the folks who went to Cheltenham. Couldn't give two hoots. My parents are quite concerned. I have a few friends that are worried but also some that are only interested when is the next outing to have a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have for the last while tbh (month or so).
    Nothing mad.
    We tend to have tonnes of loo rolls so didn't buy more of them, same for handwash, bleach, hand sanitizer (have a dog), washing powder, painkillers
    Made fresh pasta sauce and froze it, bought extra pasta froze some bread. A few other tinned things beans, soups etc that I will use anyway.
    Freezer is well stocked.
    But stuff I would use in the next while anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

WHO now saying '' do what ever it takes''

Shut it down, shut it down now !

Put that way, that scary st1t

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement