Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

8d4d0e6-2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Prison service just released statement it's in rte live blog sorry don't have the link
    @20.17

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0313/1121986-coronavirus-tracker/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

I just don't for the life of me understand how this disease is spreading. Sick people are locked down immediately. In Dublin at least everyone is extremely careful and staying away from each other. Are there some kind of underground virus sex parties going on? Or maybe the current measures are not enough, forget 1 meter, we should be 5 meters away from each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

"They really took their medicine".

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

:D Saw a funny quip where someone said Trump should be analysed to find what makes him so resistant to the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Prison service just released statement it's in rte live blog sorry don't have the link
    This..
    The Irish Prison Service says it is in discussion with the Department of Justice and Equality on a number of contingency measures to reduce the number of people in custody in a controlled manner due to the coronavirus outbreak.
    In a statement it says: "The primary factor in the consideration of any prisoner for early release is public safety and no prisoner would be granted temporary release who poses an undue risk to public safety."
    The Prison Service says: " A case of Covid-19 in a prison setting would present significant challenges for prison management in terms of controlling the spread of the virus among staff and prisoners, and the provision of appropriate medical treatment to affected persons."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

"The Irish Prison Service says it is in discussion with the Department of Justice and Equality on a number of contingency measures to reduce the number of people in custody in a controlled manner due to the coronavirus outbreak.

In a statement it says: "The primary factor in the consideration of any prisoner for early release is public safety and no prisoner would be granted temporary release who poses an undue risk to public safety."

The Prison Service says: " A case of Covid-19 in a prison setting would present significant challenges for prison management in terms of controlling the spread of the virus among staff and prisoners, and the provision of appropriate medical treatment to affected persons."
    "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Denmark closing borders now. The aul EU solidarity going out the window. The EU as a political entity at least, will find it hard to overcome this. It's every country for themselves.

What would you like the EU to do about it? They don't have the power to force shutdowns and the likes, and if they did people would be bitching about the EU being the big bad for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Bit harsh hoping something would get infected with something that could potentially kill them
    If I was an advisor I would tell him to have his own Mic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He’s an out and out waffler!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

Jaysus Trump spent more time learning propoganda from Kim Jong and the rest of his dictator mates over the last 3yrs than doing anything else. This is worthy of Erdogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1238560964489994240

Double facepalm. The UK is (kinda has been) f-ucked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

is_that_so wrote: »

The Irish Prison Service says it is in discussion with the Department of Justice and Equality on a number of contingency measures to reduce the number of people in custody in a controlled manner due to the coronavirus outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R.F.

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Bit harsh hoping something would get infected with something that could potentially kill them
    Meh, **** Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

He is not liking being asked why he is not self isolating. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

Gintonious wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1238560964489994240

Double facepalm. The UK is (kinda has been) f-ucked.

Well we have flights in and out everyday and a border with them so its not just them is it.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    He is not liking being asked why he is not self isolating. :)

is he still on? i switched over to the chase...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Rise in Spanish cases now well in to the thousands for today alone.

Madrid in just 12 hours today
    The most affected community is Madrid, which this Friday, in less than 12 hours, has added 581 infected and 22 more deaths.

https://www.20minutos.es/noticia/4187271/0/casos-coronavirus-espana-disparan/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=smm&utm_campaign=noticias?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=socialshare&utm_campaign=desktop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

Probably the only good thing to come out of this mess.

"The first two bullfights of the season have been cancelled at the city’s Las Ventas bullring"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/meteorite-fallen-madrid-empties-coronavirus-spreads-spain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

Hi,

So the main thing is prevention.

1. If you have any symptoms like fever, "chills", muscle aches, feeling generally unwell, runny nose, cough, tummy upsets, please self-isolate.
    * This involves staying in a room by yourself, try to avoid the other people that you live with as much as possible. If they do need to come into the room, open a window. Don't let visitors into the house. If somebody in the household has underlying medical conditions (previous heart problems, on blood pressure tablets, using inhalers, smoker, diabetes, or on anything to dampen the immune system), they should not come at all near the person. Avoid sharing household things. Make sure to clean all shared surfaces with disinfectants (bleach). The person in isolation should have their own rubbish bag, and double bag when full. Wash clothes at 60C.
    * Contact your GP if you have the above symptoms.
    2. Ensure good hygiene. People are obsessed with buying hand-gels. But technique is as important as the gel itself. The WHO have a nice video on YouTube on how to wash-hands. Use proper cough etiquette (into the elbow). Do not shake hands.
    3. Ensure good nutrition, good rest and exercise. These are key elements to a health immune system.
    4. Where possible, children should avoid the at risk groups mentioned above, and elderly people. They may spread the disease
    5. Cite your information from a good source. There is a lot of misinformation. WHO and HSE are good sources for information.
    6. Keep calm, and try not to follow the COVID-19 news obsessively. Mental health is important to maintain. Stress weakens the immune system.

Whether or not you believe it, we all have a role to not spread the infection to the vulnerable. There are societal implications to this disease. While it may only affect a person mildly, it might cause grave illness in a loved one.

We will all get through this together! Ireland is a very resilient country. And the healthcare profession is extremely dedicated and hard-working.

The final thing to say is that the majority of people will be fine. But let us protect all members of this society, and stop the spread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    I believe it does, along with adjusting behaviour in general to reduce the potential for spread.

What we do now will have consequences and what seems disproportionate or extreme today will have the ring of common sense tomorrow.

I'd rather regret an over reaction than a failure to act in any event. You don't get to guess again later if you're wrong now.
    they (the CMO) were telling us for a week there was risk of acting too early

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The_Brood wrote: »
    I just don't for the life of me understand how this disease is spreading. Sick people are locked down immediately. In Dublin at least everyone is extremely careful and staying away from each other.
    Not from what I've seen. In the suburbs anyway. Zero mask wearing, mad crowds in supermarkets, a few muppets coughing and spluttering, and others going to the pub or restaurants of an evening. I know four people who are going into the centre of the city for food and drinks tonight.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Cuckoo7

The_Brood wrote: »
    I just don't for the life of me understand how this disease is spreading. Sick people are locked down immediately. In Dublin at least everyone is extremely careful and staying away from each other. Are there some kind of underground virus sex parties going on? Or maybe the current measures are not enough, forget 1 meter, we should be 5 meters away from each other?
    Really, they are?
    My flatmate just texted me drunk out of his ass, he’s been in pubs since this afternoon.
    Trying to convince me to meet him and his mates because”life is short”.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

US +377 cases so far today. Headed for new daily high of new cases.

Axfrderr wrote: »
    Probably the only good thing to come out of this mess.

"The first two bullfights of the season have been cancelled at the city’s Las Ventas bullring"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/meteorite-fallen-madrid-empties-coronavirus-spreads-spain

they'll end up as beef, regardless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭cozar

walshb wrote: »
    He’s an out and out waffler!

You are being a bit too kind there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

is he still on? i switched over to the chase...

Maybe my stream is ages behind. Questions from journalists on now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement