Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

I'm surprised that the Liverpool Athletico game wasn't cancelled with Madrid being a hotspot. I know it's in Liverpool but supporters will be coming from Spain.

Aye.

The English / British seem to be very slow in cancelling things foe what every reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

fritzelly wrote: »
    Italy 2,313 new cases, 196 deaths (if I'm reading it right)

It doesnt mean a lot, but due to an issue in reporting, 600 are attributed to yesterday's numbers, meaning it's more like 1700, 1500, 1700 for the last 3 days. Still tho. wow.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#news

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Italy's spike is because of delays yesterday. Not that it makes todays figures look great.

Still though, it must be fúcking carnage over there.

The soft ball questions for our "leaders" and Doctor Tony end now I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Should they not be installing hand sanitizers onto all public transport?

For little scumbags to damage them? What's the point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Death rate in Italy, on latest figures, running at 6.6%.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Death rate in Italy, on latest figures, running at 6.6%.

But it's only 0.6% in South Korea so everything is grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

hblock21 wrote: »
    And all in an induced coma.

No visitors and when they die straight into a coffin and never opened again...
    No coffin, the dead are immediately cremated in bodybags.
    I'd like to start of with a quick story.
    Up until 5yrs ago I would suffer mild hay fever most summers, nothing I couldn't cope with but a little annoying. Anyway that was until a friend of my Mum who seen me sneeze and sniffle one sunny day and asked ohhh have you hay-fever,I said "aye it's grand just a bit here and there".. so she suggested I rub a small dab of Vaseline at the entrance to my nostrils and went on to explain about how the pollen would stick to the vaseline and prevent it from entering my system, I thought yes that actually makes sense.... Long story short that's exactly what I have done ever since and I swear my 'mild' hay-fever has never returned.
    Look I stand to be corrected by science, I stand to be corrected by boardsies etc no worries.. but if I thought this would even stop one grain of covid 19 entering my system then give it a go shir what have you got to lose
    Or it could be an attractor for the virus and you could stand to be infected more easily by doing this. Pollen is a very large particle, this virus is many thousands of times smaller. We just don't know, so there's no real help in saying this. Any more than whoever was spreading the rumour that saunas kill the virus. Dangerous and unhelpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Have to say like the majority of other posters that those numbers in Italy have blown me out of the water.

Who was the poster yesterday claiming that the curve was going downwards and it was nearing the end? Dope!

God help them and may it get our chiefs to make clear and effective decisions to slow this down as there isn’t a hope of stopping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Should they not be installing hand sanitizers onto all public transport?

Not sure if that would work you need to touch the top of it, then what if someone infected does ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Prof McConkey on Matt Cooper now.

Oh, that twit who wanted the parades?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

BloodBath wrote: »
    Source for any of this?

Irish times but they aren't being told to do any of this.

In the event of a crisis in the supply chain it may happen but not currently the case as the poster suggested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Italy’s figures are very very sobering, even if they are over a three day period.

We have a small window of advantage.

The time is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Nermal wrote: »
    They're not expendable, but they're not priceless either. No one is. A certain amount of excess deaths is preferable to an economic depression.

Maybe you'll be part of that excess..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭MOR316

statesaver wrote: »
    Aye.

The English / British seem to be very slow in cancelling things foe what every reason.

So are we!

We only wait to see what the UK do before we do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

noddy69 wrote:
    The response and testing has been poor.
    If you read the rest of the Irish Times article you mentioned, you would have seen that testing is going to be expanded to hospitals around the country.

We will then be processing thousands of samples a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

namloc1980 wrote: »
    But it's only 0.6% in South Korea so everything is grand.

It is 0.8% in South Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

How do some countries have no cases? that's really interesting...….

There not looking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Not sure if that would work you need to touch the top of it, then what if someone infected does ?

Then... then you rub the sanitiser on your hands, man

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Italy has one of the oldest populations in the world which can somewhat explain the high death rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Oh, that twit who wanted the parades?

No. The antithesis of a twit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

madcabbage wrote: »
    I ain't a man for pray but christ i pray and hope all those poor people in Italy get through this, those numbers are scary. :(
    Now we need the three Ss
    Sanity, sanctity and sanitizer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

For little scumbags to damage them? What's the point?

They're hardly going to damage them at the driver's door.

But yeah, major issues with damage going about...walled sanitizers in my gym today we're smashed to pieces with the gel stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If you read the rest of the Irish Times article you mentioned, you would have seen that testing is going to be expanded to hospitals around the country.

We will then be processing thousands of samples a day.

And getting lots of positives as infected people have been let roam freely + the diseased Cheltenham idiots wandering back freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I've been afk for the afternoon. Is the reason for the exponential growth of this thread that WHO declared a pandemic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

They're not expendable, but they're not priceless either. No one is. A certain amount of excess deaths is preferable to an economic depression.

Wow. Thats one of the most heartless statements Ive ever read on boards. You sir take the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Where’s that ****ing eejit from yesterday who was trying to say Italy had turned the corner?

450+ deaths in 3 days. Unspeakably sad

• Site Banned Posts: 33 Doctor Shipman

Wow. Thats one of the most heartless statements Ive ever read on boards. You sir take the biscuit.

But its true, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Thanks a million for that . I am in my 60’s and would quite like a nice retirement if you don’t mind . 43 years in nursing and it would be nice if my excess death is not simply to prop up the economy

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The Italy numbers are skewed, as some Lombardy tests from YESTERDAY were not publicly announced yesterday evening.

Total confirmed: 12462 (+2313)
    Active cases: 10590 (+2076), divided in 3724 (+1135) self-quarantine, 5838 (+800) hospitalized, 1028 (+151) in ICU
    Deceased: 827 (+196) [age range is 50-59=2%, 60+=98%, more than 78% have at least 1 comorbidity]
    Recovered: 1045 (+41)
    Tested: 73154 (+12393)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    This is pretty much what most governments will decide to do IMO. it isn't airborne, we can live our lives as usual for the most part with added awareness and precautions. Protect our vulnerable people as much as possible.If outbreaks get out of control in certain areas then shut those places down for a short time until it's under control. It will be the new normal for the foreseeable future. There is no need to shut down entire countries completely for who knows how long. For example, coffee shops, supermarkets etc in italy are still open despite the "lockdown".

Some people have watched too much walking dead and disaster movies and are losing the run of themselves completely.

And I'm not one of the nothing to see here brigade at all. It is serious. I prepared weeks ago for an extended stay at home without panic buying and emptying shelves. Panic doesn't help matters at all but it sure does provide excitement for some.

If people are choosing to stay informed yet calm, even those who may be in a high risk group,it doesn't mean they are somehow stupid. If that's how they are choosing to deal with it then they shouldn't be berated for it.

Thank you for expressing what so many of us are feeling and doing so very well. Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement