Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

VinLieger wrote: »
    South Korea has 0.6% currently, its all about the health system not getting overwhelmed

South Korea
    7,755 cases, 60 deaths = 0.78% mortality rate

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Unearthly wrote: »
    It could also be the overload on the hospitals. More people die when there is simply not enough resources to deal with it

And Dr. Tony wants to wait until things get overwhelmed to willingly do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You see you're wrong. The issue with Ireland is it's such a small local type country. if Dublin for example has to shutdown / isolate and quarantine then it has huge implications on most of the South East, Midlands and North East where hundreds of thousands commute from. Going on that logic then those areas and people also need to self isolate.

It has nothing to do with the walking dead or zombies. It's a potentially life threatening virus which could visit all of families.

You are actually supporting the post you quote. There is no contradiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

MOR316 wrote: »
    So are we!

We only wait to see what the UK do before we do anything

Well no, we’re faring better than the UK. We cancelled the parades, they didn’t cancel Cheltanham and aren’t postponing or playing behind closed doors a football game with a team from a covid hotspot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Another 150 new cases and 3 deaths since this update 6 hours ago - starting to catch up with Italy

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1237697915830796289

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭landofthetree

pjohnson wrote: »
    It takes a special kind of scummer to value the economy over life.

So should pharmaceutical companies be closed down?

Let people with other health problems die?

We need to set up quarantined facilities where young & healthy people are exposed to the virus, then remain in the facility until they stop shedding. Get it over and done with, get immune. It will lower the rate of community spread and also provide a pool of volunteers who are immune.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

froog wrote: »
    that figure is complete nonsense as 95% of their cases are unresolved.

By the same logic so is the italian figure then

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

Sociopaths are everywhere

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

sadie1502 wrote: »
    But aren't they currently trialing a vaccine on live patients?

Aye, in England £3000 for a mild dose of the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

amacca wrote: »
    Coukdnt agree more....why are the ****ers dithering. Act now, you will have to anyway, the sooner you do the longer you delay and give the health service time and people a chance.

**** your plans and your timeline, is the only reason you are not doing it now that people won't put up with it for long seems massively dubious .... smellss like beauracracy and lobby groups trumping pure public health concerns to me.

TBH, I gave the HSE the benefit of the doubt.

But when I see the Head of the HSE on Twitter contradicting the man responsible for heading up the "fight" against the virus.

I ask myself one simple question.

Why the fúck does the HSE deserve the benefit of doubt?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

It's done very day. We have people dying because of waiting lists, in waterford our cardiac care is 9-5 mon to friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Unearthly wrote: »
    It could also be the overload on the hospitals. More people die when there is simply not enough resources to deal with it

this is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well no, we’re faring better than the UK. We cancelled the parades, they didn’t cancel Cheltanham and aren’t postponing or playing behind closed doors a football game with a team from a covid hotspot.

Yeah, but the leader of their country is what you would get if a clown fúcked a car alarm.

I wouldn't be looking to them for guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I hope we won't have any more deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Acosta

And if this thread over the last few day's is anything to go by, there's a fair few of the I'm alright Jack/Paddy must get paid lads out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

We need to set up quarantined facilities where young & healthy people are exposed to the virus, then remain in the facility until they stop shedding. Get it over and done with, get immune. It will lower the rate of community spread and also provide a pool of volunteers who are immune.

You know that the "mild/moderate" symptoms experienced by young healthy people can/may include a heavy flu like stage (where you can barely get out of bed), and also possibly a pneumonia phase?

Not everyone gets away with a fever and a light cough

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

And Dr. Tony wants to wait until things get overwhelmed to willingly do anything.
    IBEC and the likes are whispering in his ear

branie2 wrote: »
    I hope we won't have any more fatalities

We unfortunately will have many more

• Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Dr Ryan saying sod only testing contacts of confirmed patients and those coming from infected areas - you need to be doing widespread testing now, update your protocols NOW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

VinLieger wrote: »
    By the same logic so is the italian figure then

even if miraculously ALL of italy's unresolved cases recovered, they would still have a death rate of over 6%.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The early hope is for a good antiviral drug not a vaccine. The one that's in the final run of testing is Remdesivir.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Question FROM WHO CONFERENCE JUST THERE

Sunday Times question to WHO "should ireland be taking a more aggresive approach given whats going on in Italy"

- Answer - Spoke with Tony Houlihan, think Ireland has demonstrated through HSE a very coherent response which has been a good all govt structure. Ireland is finding that balance in measures to create social distance.

Concerns in ireland maybe more to do with capacity to deal with cases which is the same concern across europe

Overall Ireland has a comprehensive strategy but we need to also remember that public health services in most countries is small with deinvestment. I belive ireland has no more then 60/70 full time consultants (missed a bit), increase the number of individuals on the health front

Hes really pushing the contract tracing strategy using communities to support them

These are the right questions "are we doing enough", it is not a one size fits all. Asking are we doing enough needs to be repeated regularly . .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Boggles wrote: »
    Yeah, but the leader of their country is what you would get if a clown fúcked a car alarm.

I wouldn't be looking to them for guidance.

Tbf its not much better leadership that Tony is bringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Nermal wrote: »
    They're not expendable, but they're not priceless either. No one is. A certain amount of excess deaths is preferable to an economic depression.

FG voter?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

wakka12 wrote: »
    South Korea
    7,755 cases, 60 deaths = 0.78% mortality rate

I don't think that is how mortality rate works, but I could be wrong.

South Korea

Deaths 60
    Recovered 288

So basically around 20% of cases are ending with death and 80% are ending with recovery?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

Any talk of the schools being closed?

froog wrote: »
    even if miraculously ALL of italy's unresolved cases recovered, they would still have a death rate of over 6%.

Their death rate screams to many many undiscovered cases, SK have done close to 200k tests which is a big part of why their death rate is so low

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The WHO have declared a global pandemic today. All this **** assing around by our politicians needs to stop. Varadkar needs to immediately come back from the USA, a government needs to be put together by the end of this week at the latest, the Dail needs to meet and pass emergency legislation to invoke emergency powers before it`s too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭facehugger99

And an even bigger moron to think that economic devastation doesn't also result in loss of life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement