Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

sadie1502 wrote: »
    Well I know that but I'm saying for people who don't have it. Its looking like this could ne rolled out April or may is that correct?
    Do you mean April or May next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Over 4100 cases so far today across the continent

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Any talk of the schools being closed?

No, HSE are thinking of putting the parades back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

Its going to be massive either way.

Had Harris and the government shut down Italian flights 2 or 3 weeks ago, banned travellers coming to rugby matches that didn't exist, enforced isolation for anyone returning from Italy, advised employers to do the same, we'd be looking at miniscule numbers now. Daily life and the economy could have continued as normal.

Instead they failed to implement those early measures and now we have to move to the "nuclear" lockdown phase because the numbers will be too many, the contact tracing impossible and the isolation inadequate.

They procrastinate and delay at every stage.

THIS SO MUCH

Give it a week lads and I reckon we'll know for sure how much of a world of **** we're in or if we're containing it.

I suspect this will be prolonged battle even if we do contain it. How long is it going to take for it to dwindle world wide?

We're already at such a global number of infected that it's going to be months or possibly over a year to properly get control over this virus.

2020 is shaping up to be a wild year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Acosta

FG voter?

Dyed in the wool I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

laurah591 wrote: »
    I wonder are Italy hitting there testing capacity limits at 1500-2000 cases
    New height for daily tests in Italy today, nearly 12400 tests

In one day

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

So should pharmaceutical companies be closed down?

Let people with other health problems die?

That's such a terrible take. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 industry accountant

And an even bigger moron to think that economic devastation doesn't also result in loss of life.

And an even bigger moron to think there is no difference between a conscious decision and an unavoidable side effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Boggles wrote: »
    Yeah, but the leader of their country is what you would get if a clown fúcked a car alarm.

I wouldn't be looking to them for guidance.

I’m just saying objectively, we’re doing more. We’re not following the UK on this. They are being more lackadaisical. I didn’t suggest looking to them for guidance. I was responding to somebody saying that we are copying what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Have the Italy figures been released yet for today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

No problem. Let us leave Wikpedia aside. This is from the European Centre for Disease Control and Prevention:

Coronaviruses are believed to be transmitted in most instances from person-to-person through inhalation or deposition on mucosal surfaces of large respiratory droplets. Other routes have also been implicated in the transmission of coronaviruses, such as c ontact with contaminated fomites and inhalation of aerosols, producedduring aerosol generating procedures. The highest risk of healthcare-associated transmission is in the absence of standard precautions, when basic infection prevention and control measures for respiratory infections are not in place, and when handling patients where 2009-nCoV infection is yet to be confirmed. Although there is so far no evidence of airborne transmission, we recommend a cautious approach due to lack of studies excluding this mode
    of transmission.

So you agree with Wibbs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

pjohnson wrote: »
    It takes a special kind of scummer to value the economy over life.

Without an economy we wouldn't have a health service, guards, jobs livelihoods. You can't just separate the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭amacca

PhantomHat wrote: »
    IBEC and the likes are whispering in his ear

I dont doubt it , ironic if the longer they faff around the worse the economic consequences turn out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

VinLieger wrote: »
    Their death rate screams to many many undiscovered cases, SK have done close to 200k tests which is a big part of why their death rate is so low

i don't know how you guys are reading figures.

in S. Korea, of the resolved cases so far there are 54 deaths and 247 recovered.

so far, of the resolved cases, they have a 21% death rate.

given it will almost certainly reduce over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Seen a post from a woman on Twitter who said she has a close contact with all the symptoms of corona virus who has been in and out of university hospital Limerick the past week but they won't test for the virus as he hadn't been out of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Boggles wrote: »
    No, HSE are thinking of putting the parades back on.

Says who haha.
    They wouldn't have cancelled it only to put it back on two days later :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

is this sarcasm?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭emmaro

Any talk of the schools being closed?

Lots of rumours going around about closing Friday. Nothing confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Is the peess conference at 6? Any links?

St Patricks day parades cancelled in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia

• Advertisement

+2,313 cases and +196 dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Wibbs wrote: »
    ceadaoin. wrote: »
    This is pretty much what most governments will decide to do IMO. it isn't airborne, we can live our lives as usual for the most part with added awareness and precautions.
    Eh, yes, yes it bloody well is. How in christ's name can anyone even with a passing interest with the reports of this virus over the last few months be blindly ignorant on this point? No really, how?

Airborne has a very specific meaning in medicine. An airborne disease is one which can remain suspended in the air for hours or days at a time. It can be spread by the wind and through ventilation systems. Containment requires negative pressure, whereby no unfiltered air can leave containment zone.

The SARS-2 Coronavirus is believed to be spread by droplet infection. The pathogen requires liquid suspension in order to remain active. Micro droplets from coughing, sneezing, talking or heavy breathing can travel distances of up to 10 meters or more but are not buoyant in air and settle on surfaces after short periods (typically a few minutes). They can remain active on surfaces (fomites) and can still be transmitted if a person were to touch the contamination and then their mouth, eyes or food.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_(medicine)#Routes_of_transmission

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

is this sarcasm?

Sorry, my first port of call was BNO Desk and they haven't reported it for some reason. They're typically the first.

I see they've been reported elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

PhantomHat wrote: »
    Sociopaths are everywhere

and particularly concentrated in the top leadership roles of large organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

So should pharmaceutical companies be closed down?

Let people with other health problems die?

Not to mention more people will probably die from the resulting poverty brought on by a sustained economic crisis, so to put it bluntly a thinning of the herd is preferable to total economic collapse, terrible to say but the show must go on for the want of a better phrase

Sorry, my first port of call was BNO Desk and they haven't reported it for some reason. They're typically the first.

I see they've been reported elsewhere.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    This is a better site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

A complusory work from home policy has been made by the company I work. I live alone and will struggle massively with this.

My parents are old. My father has cancer, I’ve decided not to visit them out of fear of unknowingly giving them something. When will a home testing kit for CoronaVirus become available?

Not to mention more people will probably die from the resulting poverty brought on by a sustained economic crisis, so to put it bluntly a thinning of the herd is preferable to total economic collapse, terrible to say but the show must go on for the want of a better phrase

"I'm alright Jack"

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

To
    The Coronavirus Expert Advisory Group,
    The National Public Health Emergency Team,
    The Department of Health,
    The HSE,
    The Tanaiste Simon Covney
    and
    The Minister for Health Simon Harris;

PLEASE, CLOSE THE SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES NOW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭amacca

Cw85 wrote: »
    Seen a post from a woman on Twitter who said she has a close contact with all the symptoms of corona virus who has been in and out of university hospital Limerick the past week but they won't test for the virus as he hadn't been out of the country

Heard a number of similar stories today.....

Would love confirmation and then someone to put questions about this and number of undetected cases being linked to very narrow testing criteria to Tony H and co at the press conference this evening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement