Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Unearthly wrote: »
    It could also be the overload on the hospitals. More people die when there is simply not enough resources to deal with it

That's more than likely what this is in Italy. They don't have enough ICU's to treat critical patients... and healthcare workers are getting sick now too!

Northern Italy is supposed to have a pretty solid healthcare system as well.

Makes me think Ireland will resemble something out an apocalyptic zombie movie, if we get any kind of similar outbreak here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

People need to take a bit of time to reflect on what is going on. This has been coming a long time and to be fair, while governments have not been making all the right choices, I actually think our government are certainly well ahead of the UK and US on this. I also think they are trying to find their feet. This is scary to hear and see but if you watched Dr Bruce Aylwards press conferences a few weeks ago, you would understand that this is what can happen at the start of a pandemic, particularly for countries unprepared for it.

Priority over the next few months is not the economy, just like your priority in a and old school war is not the economy. You reassess your priorities and resources into the areas that need them. Very soon, the area is healthcare and part of that involves closing schools and maybe a couple of weeks of mass isolation. I dont envisage anybody running out of food or water, just that its going to be weird and hopefully at worst quite boring for a few weeks for a majority of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

sink wrote: »
    Airborne has a very specific meaning in medicine. An airborne disease is one which can remain suspended in the air for hours or days at a time. It can be spread by the wind and through ventilation systems. Containment requires negative pressure, whereby no unfiltered air can leave containment zone.

The SARS-2 Coronavirus is believed to be spread by droplet infection. The pathogen requires liquid suspension in order to remain active. Micro droplets from coughing, sneezing, talking or heavy breathing can travel distances of up to 10 meters or more but are not buoyant in air and settle on surfaces after short periods (typically a few minutes). They can remain active on surfaces (fomites) and can still be transmitted if a person were to touch the contamination and then their mouth, eyes or food.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_(medicine)#Routes_of_transmission

It’s nuance like this that the general public will, understandably enough, miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

joe40 wrote: »
    Without an economy we wouldn't have a health service, guards, jobs livelihoods. You can't just separate the two.
    There was a time where the economy placed human life above profit. Most people aren't old enough to remember this time though. There's the economy of a country and then there's an economy run for constant short term, lazy gains holding back human progress significantly so the "wealth creators" can have their dime. It's pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Professor Luke O'Neill, who some of you may recall did a podcast with David McWilliams on the virus a week or so ago, has done another one with Newstalk and I found it quite reassuring. You can listen to it here:

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-lunchtime-live/coronavirus-questions-answered-2

He predicts we'll have an anti-viral drug ready within a month in Ireland and that we could be taking it as a prophylactic. He also says people he's spoken to at Moderna who are working on a vaccine are very optimistic and reckon they'll have it created by September (presumably the rollout of it will take longer).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The lack of coordination on this on a European level is a sad indictment. Hungary has declared a state of emergency, Poland has shut down all schools and museums etc, Italy in lockdown, UK mostly carrying on business as usual and Ireland is taking a wait and see approach. Mad stuff.

UK has tested - a lot

and so far has been lucky in detecting relatively few cases.
    They are prepping the NHS to deal with it.

I am shocked by France and Germany: both had epicentres and did nothing about them (while Italy locked down its epicentres on 23 February upon finding "only" 132 positive cases)
    Together France, Germany and Spain are about to reach 6000 cases as I write this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That's more than likely what this is in Italy. They don't have enough ICU's to treat critical patients... and healthcare workers are getting sick now too!

Northern Italy is supposed to have a pretty solid healthcare system as well.

Makes me think Ireland will resemble something out an apocalyptic zombie movie, if we get any kind of similar outbreak here.

We've only 250 ICU beds in this country. Even a small enough number of cases here will put incredible strain on those limited resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

BloodBath wrote: »
    Yet there are countries with levels below that of China. Stop with the China conspiracy crap already. You've been called out and proven wrong multiple times already.

Spending too much time on anti China conspiracy videos/sites.

I assure you've I've never been on any anti Chinese conspiracy websites...

However the fact that their daily stats became extremely predictable using a simple mathematical formula is enough to make me suspicions to their authenticity.

The CPC are also not know for their transparency. But regardless, its hardly conspiracy to point to a live situation and case study such as Italy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The WHO have declared a global pandemic today. All the **** assing around by the politicians needs to stop. Varadkar needs to immediately come back from the USA, a government needs to be put together by the end of this week at the latest, the Dail needs to meet and pass emergency legislation to invoke emergency powers before it`s too late.

Professor Luke O'Neill, who some of you may recall did a podcast with David McWilliams on the virus a week or so ago, has done another one with Newstalk and I found it quite reassuring. You can listen to it here:

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-lunchtime-live/coronavirus-questions-answered-2

He predicts we'll have an anti-viral drug ready within a month in Ireland and that we could be taking it as a prophylactic. He also says people he's spoken to at Moderna who are working on a vaccine are very optimistic and reckon they'll have it created by September (presumably the rollout of it will take longer).

People were dismissing him on these threads earlier. Your post probably won’t go down well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

theballz wrote: »
    A complusory work from home policy has been made by the company I work. I live alone and will struggle massively with this.

My parents are old. My father has cancer, I’ve decided not to visit them out of fear of unknowingly giving them something. When will a home testing kit for CoronaVirus become available?

They come to your home and test you if you meet the criteria

• Site Banned Posts: 33 Doctor Shipman

I heard a stand up comedian say one time that us Irish were better off when we had nothing. Choosing money over people is never an option for me,
    Dr Shipman is a perfect name for u sir.

It's not us making that choice though. You think our government care more about old people than they do about the economy? You need to wise up.

You know that the "mild/moderate" symptoms experienced by young healthy people can/may include a heavy flu like stage (where you can barely get out of bed), and also possibly a pneumonia phase?

Not everyone gets away with a fever and a light cough
    You're gonna get it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭amacca

I'll believe it when I see it. I've known the man personally and I'm not a fan.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

wakka12 wrote: »
    Another import from Egypt, an Egyptian man has tested positive at an airport in Saudi Arabia.
    It is likely there is significant community transmission occurring in Egypt and would imply that this virus thrives in warm climates as well as cold.
    The man arrived in Saudi from New York so your assumption is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I assure you've I've never been on any anti Chinese conspiracy websites...

However the fact that their daily stats became extremely predictable using a simple mathematical formula is enough to make me suspicions to their authenticity.

The CPC are also not know for their transparency. But regardless, its hardly conspiracy to point to a live situation and case study such as Italy.

You are using the worst affected country to try and dismiss China's numbers when there are many other examples with lower numbers.

Are they also skewing their data? China's number's also started higher and dropped over time as containment, further testing, and data lag was accounted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Water John wrote: »
    The early hope is for a good antiviral drug not a vaccine. The one that's in the final run of testing is Remdesivir.

And what would that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

emmaro wrote: »
    Lots of rumours going around about closing Friday. Nothing confirmed.

Text from my son's school who say they won't be closing on advice from HSE. They are instead cancelling all out of school activities, i.e; swimming, football etc.

They will continue to monitor the situation as HSE give updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Supercell wrote: »
    Netherlands is a total clusterfcuk in the making, going to be as bad if not worse than Italy in a week or two.

I was on the phone to family in Canada and the situation there is bad too. They have far from enough in the way of hospital complexes there to cope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Thanks a million for that . I am in my 60’s and would quite like a nice retirement if you don’t mind . 43 years in nursing and it would be nice if my excess death is not simply to prop up the economy

It's quite the knot to be tied up in.

It would be nice if my excess death is not simply to prop up the economy.
    Yet also I need a healthy economy to prop up my nice retirement.

As if we haven't all spend years, decades even, enjoying goods provided through more or less slave labor, kids working in horrendous conditions and all kinds of assorted death, destruction, inequality and brutal, absolutely brutal, levels of unfairness.

NOW it's a problem though. I see.
    Someone implied that MY life isn't priceless so now THAT is a problem.

No doubt that poster was harsh and cold and shocking to read.
    Now that it's on our doorstep someone stating the cold harsh truth is a "scummer" etc.

It's hilarious that anyone in Ireland now can suddenly be outraged that "the economy" is being held up as more important than human life. It's been that way for decades! We just refused to see.

Now someone tells the truth and everyone acts like it's that specific poster who's the bad guy!

It's all of us. This is the world we live in.

I wish you good health and hope that you have a wonderful retirement.
    Let's not pretend though that the luxuries you will enjoy once this all blows over are manufactured in some idyllic fantasy land by happy contented workers. They ain't.

I wouldn't blame that poster for simply stating the truth, as terrible as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

A good reassuring listen. Basically close schools now be sensible and follow advice. Hopeful for a treatment within a month and a vaccine for next winter he mentions September.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

theballz wrote: »
    When will a home testing kit for CoronaVirus become available?
    UK has drive-in testing so hopefully Ireland will also have soon.

There is a new fast test coming up - but I doubt it will be a home kit as such:

Italian company DiaSorin completes studies for launch of rapid response molecular test for covid-19

https://uk.reuters.com/article/brief...-idUKFWN2B21CB

product expected to be launched in Europe CE marked and submitted to FDA under emergency use authorization process by end of March 2020
    test to enable sample-to-answer results within 60 minutes compared to 5-7 hours currently necessary to report patient results

Hubs is working from home from tomorrow. I’m BLEEDIN’ DELIRAH! I was waiting for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

poolboy wrote: »

A good reassuring listen. Basically close schools now be sensible and follow advice. Hopeful for a treatment within a month and a vaccine for next winter me mentions September.

What is reassuring about what's going on in Italy though?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Text from my son's school who say they won't be closing on advice from HSE. They are instead cancelling all out of school activities, i.e; swimming, football etc.

They will continue to monitor the situation as HSE give updates.

I reckon, only my opinion, that schools and colleges are getting ready to close down. Everyone is just waiting on the word from HSE. Which in turn are getting ready to make the announcement.

Thing is as soon as they close its going to be a domino effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

You're gonna get it anyway.

Probably,
    but timing is everything, no vaccine before Sept at the earliest. So best to delay it as much as possible. It doesn't just affect old people as some suggest. Anyway choice between rich and dead or poor and alive? Not even a choice as a rampant spread will hit the economy harder.

Need to implement widespread social distancing as early as possible.

My employer, a large multinational manufacturer has already implemented this on site.
    All employees who have been on an international flight in the past 14 days must stay at home for 14 days. If they can’t work from home they will still be paid.
    All shifts have been spaced to ensure no contact.
    All manufacturing areas have been segregated with no one allowed in except those needed to keep shifts running
    All non manufacturing work groups to maintain social distancing. I.e outside your own immediate workgroup contact to below15 mins at 2 metre distance
    Identified all individuals who can work from home and beginning process of getting those people setup
    All meetings online except where 2 metre distance can be maintained
    No international travel. If someone needs to travel for personal reasons they cannot return to work until they are back in the country 14 days.

This is going to have a massive impact on how the site runs and financially as already critical staff in some areas are self isolating due to recent travel.

Would be great if the country could see the importance of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

I read only a few days ago it would take 9 to 12 months for a cure, then the Prof. on newstalk says we'll have a cure in one month? Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Schools are preparing to close.

UCD already did a trial run of a skype lecture in my course. Students on placement having their placements shortened. Deadlines being adjusted along with exams moving to online .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

What is reassuring about what's going on in Italy though?
    Did you listen to it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement