Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

froog wrote: »
    in S. Korea, of the resolved cases so far there are 54 deaths and 247 recovered.

The thing that worries me about South Korea is the recovery rate, only less than 300 (according to Worldometers), why is that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

When’s the press conference today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Cw85 wrote: »
    I read only a few days ago it would take 9 to 12 months for a cure, then the Prof. on newstalk says we'll have a cure in one month? Which is it?

They likely don’t know for sure. This is a developing situation. There are no certainties yet; it’s far too early. Research is laborious.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭emmaro

I reckon, only my opinion, that schools and colleges are getting ready to close down. Everyone is just waiting on the word from HSE. Which in turn are getting ready to make the announcement.

Thing is as soon as they close its going to be a domino effect.

We have been told to have google classrooms set up for each of our classes and work and assessment planned for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I just did a big shop. Not a panic shop, not like 58 rolls of bog roll. But just stuff I can store and keep for the next two weeks or so to minimise my need to go outside.

I keep doing that then eating all the nice stuff. I’ve a full freezer now, no idea what’s in there, but the biscuits don’t last 2 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Graces7 wrote: »
    I was on the phone to family in Canada and the situation there is bad too. They have far from enough in the way of hospital complexes there to cope.

Only 99 cases in Canada from 39million of a population. Their daily number of cases topped 20 today. It's only starting to take hold there and still very early days for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

otnomart wrote: »
    The thing that worries me about South Korea is the recovery rate, only less than 300 (according to Worldometers), why is that ?

it can take up to 28 days (and more) to work through the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

They likely don’t know for sure. This is a developing situation. There are no certainties yet; it’s far too early.

Big difference between one month and twelve though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

People are keen to put general welfare before the economy. I hope the are prepared for the consequences and impact on ....... general welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I reckon, only my opinion, that schools and colleges are getting ready to close down. Everyone is just waiting on the word from HSE. Which in turn are getting ready to make the announcement.

Easter holidays are in two weeks; less disruptive to get everyone locked-down at that time. My guess is they are waiting to make the call until we get closer to easter. No conspiracy, just solid decision making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I read only a few days ago it would take 9 to 12 months for a cure, then the Prof. on newstalk says we'll have a cure in one month? Which is it?

Final testing of a drug is taking place

The Greens talking sense here

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/school-closures-and-banning-of-marriage-and-funeral-ceremonies-among-green-partys-proposed-coronavirus-response-measures-39036367.html

Shut all schools and colleges immediately, no gatherings of more than 100 people, no weddings or funerals, and all pubs and restaurants to close at 6pm every day

Do this for 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

people call here for action like wtf do you want really goverment to mobilizy army and go kicking in doors to test everyone if they have any temperature, close down all shops jobs schools for few weeks and then what ? way i see it each serious case should be treated, no point in doing much more castualties will always exist, sure goverment could use military and deploy few thousant tents and equip them with necessary medical equipment but, Ireland isnt Italy nor China - something is skewed in Italy maybe weaker genes/immunity or general culture where kissing/touching and large family gatherings are quite a norm plus quite ****ty weather. No one knows.

but i wouldn't droll over thousand deaths in country of 60million, same way no one gives a flying fck when theres some war in Congo or thousands refugess drown in trying get into europe or whatever the crap they run from, lives are lost each day, seems our turn to face this one, as its not something that can be seen or predicted so not much point in going hysteric.

If you need to be told by government what to do then your none the wiser, you want extreme measures, bulk up ur supplies and go hide in a bunker, no ones stopping you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

jackboy wrote: »
    That’s what people should realize. There is no guarantee that a shutdown would end in a few weeks, it could go on for months.

The longer they wait to lockdown, the larger the spread, the longer the lockdown will drag on for..

Short term pain for long term gain. Do it now, and minimise the disruption this will otherwise drag on for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Wombatman wrote: »
    People are keen to put general welfare before the economy. I hope the are prepared for the consequences and impact on ....... general welfare.

**** the economy. We can recover lost money and business, we can’t recover our loved ones that could be lost because of all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Stheno wrote: »

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/school-closures-and-banning-of-marriage-and-funeral-ceremonies-among-green-partys-proposed-coronavirus-response-measures-39036367.html

Shut all schools and colleges immediately, no gatherings of more than 100 people, no weddings or funerals, and all pubs and restaurants to close at 6pm every day

Do this for 2 weeks

Why open pubs at all in that case? If no gatherings is being suggested?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Stheno wrote: »

Do this for 2 weeks

Why the 6 pm part?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pepsirebel

amacca wrote: »
    Heard a number of similar stories today.....

Would love confirmation and then someone to put questions about this and number of undetected cases being linked to very narrow testing criteria to Tony H and co at the press conference this evening.

Was diagnosed with pneumonia last Tuesday week, ticked all boxes for testing as well as being an asthmatic. Returned to my GP on Monday last and asked do I need testing as symptoms hadn't gotten any better..response was NO!

Are they deliberately not testing to "fudge" the figures or is it because they don't have the capacity to deal with the possible numbers that would require treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Truth is, my self and partner are kinda fu**ed if my son is off school for weeks, as neither of us have jobs where working from home is an option and I have no annual leave left to take. He just started a new job last week.

Sure, I get paid leave if I have to self isolate under orders from a doctor, but not to take time off to mind my son. Many other parents in the same boat I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Easter holidays are in two weeks; less disruptive to get everyone locked-down at that time. My guess is they are waiting to make the call until we get closer to easter. No conspiracy, just solid decision making.

Or idiotic depending on if you are looking at it from a human welfare perspective or monetary perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Why open pubs at all in that case? If no gatherings is being suggested?
    the vintners object!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Female adult late 20s early 30s in Tesco: "But what about the Easter eggs? I need my easter egg incase we have to go in quarantine"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

A lot of medical research is based on luck. They try things. Then something works.

Then it goes for trials and then its approved.

If they get lucky they will find out that an existing drug that's been approved as non dangerous will work on the corona virus.

There's an experimental drug whose safety was established during the ebola crisis that's shown progress but there hasn't been trials to find out if it works in humans.

If it does they can skip over some of the trials and rush into service (although next month is optimistic).

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

They might have it in a month but then they need to get it through human trials for safety and ramp up manufacturing.
    Flu vaccines are quick as they are all similar and can use existing manufacturing facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Wombatman wrote: »

Imagine putting people before money. The temerity of it.

scamalert wrote: »
    something is skewed in Italy maybe weaker genes/immunity or general culture where kissing/touching and large family gatherings are quite a norm plus quite ****ty weather. No one knows.

The great Italian mystery solved. They're just weaker shur!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Pepsirebel wrote: »
    Was diagnosed with pneumonia last Tuesday week, ticked all boxes for testing as well as being an asthmatic. Returned to my GP on Monday last and asked do I need testing as symptoms hadn't gotten any better..response was NO!

Are they deliberately not testing to "fudge" the figures or is it because they don't have the capacity to deal with the possible numbers that would require treatment.

They are managing resources while they try to increase capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Big difference between one month and twelve though

So, they have more information now than a week ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement