Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

fr336 wrote: »
    Female adult late 20s early 30s in Tesco: "But what about the Easter eggs? I need my easter egg incase we have to go in quarantine"

Legitimate concern tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

It's now in a UK care home. Does not bode well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭brevity

Between the guy on Joe Rogans podcast or the guy on David McWilliams podcast I don’t know how to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Female adult late 20s early 30s in Tesco: "But what about the Easter eggs? I need my easter egg incase we have to go in quarantine"

Don't tell me some skanger who probably didn't work a day in her life right?

You know yourself : pac:

Pepsirebel wrote: »
    Was diagnosed with pneumonia last Tuesday week, ticked all boxes for testing as well as being an asthmatic. Returned to my GP on Monday last and asked do I need testing as symptoms hadn't gotten any better..response was NO!

Are they deliberately not testing to "fudge" the figures or is it because they don't have the capacity to deal with the possible numbers that would require treatment.

+1 for Fudge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Stheno wrote: »
    Final testing of a drug is taking place

The Greens talking sense here

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/school-closures-and-banning-of-marriage-and-funeral-ceremonies-among-green-partys-proposed-coronavirus-response-measures-39036367.html

Shut all schools and colleges immediately, no gatherings of more than 100 people, no weddings or funerals, and all pubs and restaurants to close at 6pm every day

Do this for 2 weeks

Political parties should keep quiet IMO.
    Unless they are staffed or guided by epidemiologists and health and behavioural experts.
    These are the people we need to listen to and take advice from.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

That Luke O'Neill guy is a good listen. Very down to earth and balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Truth is, my self and partner are kinda fu**ed if my son is off school for weeks, as neither of us have jobs where working from home is an option and I have no annual leave left to take. He just started a new job last week.

Sure, I get paid leave if I have to self isolate under orders from a doctor, but not to take time off to mind my son. Many other parents in the same boat I'd imagine.

True. You might be looking at each of you working alternate days. Or if one salary is significantly higher, then only that person go to work. Might there be flexibility for you to work later in the day? While other half starts much earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No, disaster doesn't wait around until you're ready before it hits.

Not that I have a massive stockpile, really just a few weeks. Probably should have done a bit more tbh

Many of us have been buying a little extra for weeks and thus have avoided the panic buying that may well happen now. Makes sense for so many reasons not to have empty cupboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

In fairness on rte news.
    Ireland throwing money at it.
    0.5 percent of GDP of extra spending in UK.
    0.9 percent of GDP of extra spending in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

jackboy wrote: »
    Why the 6 pm part?

Copying Italy I guess

It's what Italy introduced

And pubs tend to be quieter during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

How about taking the watching ads requirement off the News online RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

I expect that WHO announcement of a Pandemic today (finally) will trigger a range of new government measure in the days ahead.

Government now has a mandate and they just need to bring people and business along with new containment measures. The challenge with school closures is that it will impact business, since parents have to look after children. Emergency legislation may be required to protect wages and this may delay a government decision for a few days.

Some schools are off Monday and Tuesday (Paddy's day) and there is talk that schools will close from Wednesday next for a month. If this happens, I find it hard to see them opening this side of summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Only 99 cases in Canada from 39million of a population. Their daily number of cases topped 20 today. It's only starting to take hold there and still very early days for them.

I was talking to our sales guy in Canada (last thursday) and he was oblivious to the impact (says more about him tbh) I was shocked. We measure events etc and all our clients were getting hammered the last 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

The great Italian mystery solved. They're just weaker shur!
    take a hike said no one knows why. and extreme part same anyone wanting to go extreme sure lockdown yourselves, whos stopping you :confused: its like some are drones waiting for commands here, action in this case is what one does, government wont kill the virus for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭emmaro

Easter holidays are in two weeks; less disruptive to get everyone locked-down at that time. My guess is they are waiting to make the call until we get closer to easter. No conspiracy, just solid decision making.

It's over 3 weeks until Easter holidays.

Definition of first world problems ffs ..

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

caff wrote: »
    They might have it in a month but then they need to get it through human trials for safety and ramp up manufacturing.
    Flu vaccines are quick as they are all similar and can use existing manufacturing facilities.
    He definitely said it should be available next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kleine Hundin

There's a 2 year old child in ICU in Potsdam Germany with covid-19

Source

https://www.tagesschau.de/newsticker/liveblog-corona-103.html#Zweijaehriges-Kind-auf-Intensivstation

Translation provided by Google
    A two-year-old child with a corona infection is in the intensive care unit in Potsdam. On Monday, the toddler was moved from a children's clinic in Berlin to the Potsdam hospital with breathing problems, as the city administration informed the Brandenburg capital. On Tuesday, the child's condition worsened, so that it went to the children's intensive care unit.

Later in the day, the child tested positive for the corona virus. The health status of the small patient is not life-threatening. But the child could have infected more than 20 doctors and nurses. As a precautionary measure, they should not be quarantined in order not to endanger the medical care of the clinic. Potsdam thus deviates from the recommendations of the Robert Koch Institute in favor of medical operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    The longer they wait to lockdown, the larger the spread, the longer the lockdown will drag on for..

Short term pain for long term gain. Do it now, and minimise the disruption this will otherwise drag on for months.

It may well be the opposite of what you are saying. We can't eradicate the virus on our own, if eradication is the aim then the whole world has to lockdown and then wait, say, 3 weeks for it to work its way through the infected people. Assuming that isn't going to happen then any major restrictions we put in place will have to stay in place until the whole thing is resolved, otherwise it will just blow up again. None of the countries that have put schools on lockdown for 2 weeks etc are actually going to open them back up, even if they've managed to stop spread their neighbours will be flying alone. So in fact we want a slow spread, using interventions that are appropriate for the current level of infection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

BloodBath wrote: »
    You are using the worst affected country to try and dismiss China's numbers when there are many other examples with lower numbers.

Are they also skewing their data? China's number's also started higher and dropped over time as containment, further testing, and data lag was accounted for.

I'm not trying to dismiss anything. I said it could be dodgy numbers from China OR a better lockdown/containment by them. You chose to jump in the dodgy numbers part.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I keep hearing two weeks... the virus isn't going to **** off after two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    The longer they wait to lockdown, the larger the spread, the longer the lockdown will drag on for..

Short term pain for long term gain. Do it now, and minimise the disruption this will otherwise drag on for months.

What is the logic behind this?

How does lock down early reduce lock down duration if the virus is still in the wild and can still find it's way back into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Gizit wrote: »
    I'm hearing that London underground is going to start shutting down from tomorrow. Source someone who works for Transport for London.

What about the buses. Otherwise waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

BloodBath wrote: »
    What is the logic behind this?

How does lock down early reduce lock down duration if the virus is still in the wild and can still find it's way back into the country.

It begs the question as to what good it can achieve at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say stocking up i got some extra cans of kidney beans and pasta and paracetamol. Nobody will starve I'm more worried about my parents who are so out of touch and don't realise the danger both at high risk and not paying any notice. Is this a generational thing anyone else's parents just shrugging it off ?

My father would fall into that category, I tried explaining to him yesterday about it "Kuna virus... What's that?" his breathing is like a truck going up hill in 2nd gear,but he swears its fine. He's an awful rambler to go on top of that, so trying to isolate him is a no go... Unless I tie him up somewere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Schools are preparing to close.

UCD already did a trial run of a skype lecture in my course. Students on placement having their placements shortened. Deadlines being adjusted along with exams moving to online .

Thank **** for technology. We will adapt in so many ways.

Pepsirebel wrote: »
    Was diagnosed with pneumonia last Tuesday week, ticked all boxes for testing as well as being an asthmatic. Returned to my GP on Monday last and asked do I need testing as symptoms hadn't gotten any better..response was NO!

Are they deliberately not testing to "fudge" the figures or is it because they don't have the capacity to deal with the possible numbers that would require treatment.
    I think you would likely get tested now from what they are saying.

I hope you are on the mend, pneumonia can be horrendous I had if before and lost about 3 stone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

I can’t click ignore quick enough on this thread. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Tordelback wrote: »
    The only possible response to this post is **** YOU.

Amen to that many times over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement