Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Graces7 wrote: »
    I was on the phone to family in Canada and the situation there is bad too. They have far from enough in the way of hospital complexes there to cope.

Where do your family live?

I live in Toronto. There is less panic here than in Europe. The government has been far more open about the movements and location of confirmed cases. One confirmed case last week had been travelling to and from work on public transport. They outlined the exact times of each of the trains and buses that he was on each day, and what stations he got on and off at.

The cases are increasing here, but very slowly. And considering the first case about 6 or 7 weeks ago, to be at 99 cases as of today isn't bad. There hasn't been any major spike. The cases per million is always the figure that I look at. Canada currently at 2.6, while Ireland is at 6.9 just over a week after the first case.

Also, they are currently setting up dedicated Covid-19 clinics which will located away from existing hospitals and clinics. I'm not sure where your comment regarding a lack of hospitals complexes comes from, I haven't seen any evidence of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I keep hearing two weeks... the virus isn't going to **** off after two weeks.

2 years more like in 3 waves. We just have to accept it will be a part of life for the medium term and whilst fighting it keep things going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Truth is, my self and partner are kinda fu**ed if my son is off school for weeks, as neither of us have jobs where working from home is an option and I have no annual leave left to take. He just started a new job last week.

Sure, I get paid leave if I have to self isolate under orders from a doctor, but not to take time off to mind my son. Many other parents in the same boat I'd imagine.

Do you have any body you know well maybe nephew or niece in ty or 5th could act as child minder.
    I'm not trying to be funny but there will be kids out of school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Imagine putting people before money. The temerity of it.

I'm far from a communist, but looking at how governments main focus seems to be on avoiding short term economic loss, then yeah it really exposes the flaws of capitalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I keep hearing two weeks... the virus isn't going to **** off after two weeks.

Is the logic that the 2 weeks will delay transmission. That's the game we're playing now. The virus is here. We want it to move as slowly as possible. So that a) health services can cope b) vaccines/medicines might be developed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Legitimate concern tbf

I forgot to mention the bit where my trolley was full of easter eggs...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

This sh*t is scary.
    Like if World War 3 broke out tomorrow and the invading new age Nazis 2.0 (or whatever) were dropping into Ireland we could all band together a fight them. Even with wooden clubs if it came down to it!

But viruses... Bloody invisible enemy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

fritzelly wrote: »
    you need to be doing widespread testing now
    This.
    Italy has done 73000 tests
    UK, nearly 28000
    Rest of Europe: head in the sand

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

It begs the question as to what good it can achieve at all.

It slows the spread and reduces the numbers infected at the peak, hopefully preventing our medical professionals from having to make harrowing decisions of who gets treatment and who doesn't. Personally I am very relieved and commend the proactive approach Ireland is taking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

BetterWay wrote: »
    Is it possible to read this thread like Reddit in terms of most Thanked posts?

The volume of posts in it and the speed its moving at is making it impossible to see the important stuff

Thanks

If you’re using this thread for important updates then you’re doing it wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭scotchy

9 new cases

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

A callous and insensitive take. Clearly you don't have a vulnerable loved one, or care about it either way.

How's it a take? It's a question, I didn't make a statement at all, I asked a question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

9 new cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    So you agree with Wibbs ?

Nope. Read it again slowly. Then do some research on the definition of an 'airborne' virus. It is not defined simply by droplets travelling through the air and landing somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Tippex

9 new cases (5 south)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Easter holidays are in two weeks; less disruptive to get everyone locked-down at that time. My guess is they are waiting to make the call until we get closer to easter. No conspiracy, just solid decision making.

The Easter holidays are over 3 weeks away. By that stage it may be too late. This needs to be announced no later than Friday this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

had Info incorrect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Apologies if already answered...

Is today’s press conference delayed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

BloodBath wrote: »
    What is the logic behind this?

How does lock down early reduce lock down duration if the virus is still in the wild and can still find it's way back into the country.

As the WHO says, there is a worrying amount of inaction.

China has acted, and has almost eliminated the virus in its country.

We could do the same. We are still at the point where to do this would not be too difficult, but we have to act quickly.

Unfortunately we have too many people who do not see the benefit of getting rid of the disease. Without social cohesion and coordination with our neighbors I don't see how it will work.
    otnomart wrote: »
    Rest of Europe: head in the sand

No. eastern Europe is taking some action. For instance all schools are closed in Moldova and Ukraine. You don't have people there bleating about them only having 6 cases between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

On now on RTE News Now. Condolences to the deceased. 9 new cases today - 43 now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

less then yesterday phew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The notion that the ill and elderly are somehow expendable is a very poor indictment on our so called society.

To be fair, only a portion of our society from the posts here. Thankfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

scamalert wrote: »
    people call here for action like wtf do you want really goverment to mobilizy army and go kicking in doors to test everyone if they have any temperature, close down all shops jobs schools for few weeks and then what ? way i see it each serious case should be treated, no point in doing much more castualties will always exist, sure goverment could use military and deploy few thousant tents and equip them with necessary medical equipment but, Ireland isnt Italy nor China - something is skewed in Italy maybe weaker genes/immunity or general culture where kissing/touching and large family gatherings are quite a norm plus quite ****ty weather. No one knows.

but i wouldn't droll over thousand deaths in country of 60million, same way no one gives a flying fck when theres some war in Congo or thousands refugess drown in trying get into europe or whatever the crap they run from, lives are lost each day, seems our turn to face this one, as its not something that can be seen or predicted so not much point in going hysteric.

If you need to be told by government what to do then your none the wiser, you want extreme measures, bulk up ur supplies and go hide in a bunker, no ones stopping you.

People were saying the same about the Chinese that their genes were vulnerable but no so it seems now they are saying something else about the Italians. Pasta?
    Our turn soon it seems why are we susceptible?

It is a country so Government need to tell people what to do or else people do their own thing that is why army and reserves may be needed soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I really really doubt the shutting down the tube thing is true. But in the unlikely event it is, s**t just got real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,328 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This sh*t is scary.
    Like if World War 3 broke out tomorrow and the invading new age Nazis 2.0 (or whatever) were dropping into Ireland we could all band together a fight them. Even with wooden clubs if it came down to it!

But viruses... Bloody invisible enemy.

Makes me think of HG Wells. When all mans devices and great advancements had failed, bacteria killed the martians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭circadian

BloodBath wrote: »
    What is the logic behind this?

How does lock down early reduce lock down duration if the virus is still in the wild and can still find it's way back into the country.

It reduces the chances of spread, gives the health service some headroom and allows for more accurate testing. If we don't enforce social distancing immediately then that's how many days worth of spread? It's exponential, each day worse than the previous. Once we go beyond 100 cases we're ****ed.

This virus in theory infects anywhere between 2-4 people. So 100 people gets to 500 quickly and so on. There is absolutely no reason to not take measures, no matter how draconian, to reduce the spread now instead of when it's out of control like in Italy. I can see Denmark, a similar population to us, getting into the brown pants territory very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

Green Light given, can work from home now. First time they have allowed this as work machines contain confidential data of millions of people. They had no choice with whats to come as cases rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    2 years more like in 3 waves. We just have to accept it will be a part of life for the medium term and whilst fighting it keep things going.

Absolutely 0 evidence for this but hey this thread is all about repeating some crap you read somewhere as fact it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so the women in the east who died got it "from the community" according to Fergal Bowers.

this is the only one the matches

8 March 2020 Unknown Community-related Ireland East of country Unknown Female Unknown
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

the HSE should give each case a code so if they do find the source, they can state the found the origin of that case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

imfml wrote: »
    It slows the spread and reduces the numbers infected at the peak, hopefully preventing our medical professionals from having to make harrowing decisions of who gets treatment and who doesn't. Personally I am very relieved and commend the proactive approach Ireland is taking.

If it is a proactive approach and Ireland has not taken it, how can you commend Ireland for being proactive?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement