Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    The longer they wait to lockdown, the larger the spread, the longer the lockdown will drag on for..

Short term pain for long term gain. Do it now, and minimise the disruption this will otherwise drag on for months.

I think we get a lot of mixed messages that just seems to confuse people.
    For sure it confuses me.

Most governments are looking at this and are predicting large infection rates.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51835856

Even at a 25% rate Ireland would be looking at 1.2 million infected.
    If that is spread over a year then it's 100k per month on average.
    This is a lot more cases than 34.

It seems like shutting everything down might mean we go from 34 to 1.2 million in 12 months instead of 6? At what cost? It doesn't seem like there is any way out of this.

It would be amazing if we could shut it down now and the number of new cases drops to zero and we come out the other side.

Yet, people in the know are predicting millions of cases when the worldwide numbers only stand at 120k just now.

It's going to drag on for months regardless.
    We might be able to slow it down but that's it.

So we have people saying "we need to shut everything down or we'll end up like Italy" but then you have high ranking officials saying "this thing is going to infect MILLIONS". Millions. That's them low balling it too, it seems.

Italy only has 10k cases. People are predicting millions of cases.

We are getting these very contradictory messages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

There should be billboards public service broadcasts at every ad break

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

9 new cases, must have only tested 9 people today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

gmisk wrote: »
    I think you would likely get tested now from what they are saying.

I hope you are on the mend, pneumonia can be horrendous I had if before and lost about 3 stone!

Had double lobar pneumonia in 2016. I felt so sick I didn't care whether I lived or died, it can be an awful dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

saabsaab wrote: »
    People were saying the same about the Chinese that their genes were vulnerable but no so it seems now they are saying something else about the Italians. Pasta?
    Our turn soon it seems why are we susceptible?

It is a country so Government need to tell people what to do or else people do their own thing that is why army and reserves may be needed soon.

Potatoes. :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The south seems to be taking a bashing at the moment. What's the total cases? Safe to assume they're all cork

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Corona virus has just been declared “an awful whore of a dose “ by my 96 year old neighbour.

You are my favourite poster on this whole thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Tippex wrote: »
    9 new cases (5 south)
    That is quite low...I wonder what testing numbers are at...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

9 new cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

BloodBath wrote: »
    What is the logic behind this?

How does lock down early reduce lock down duration if the virus is still in the wild and can still find it's way back into the country.

Its all about flattening the curve so the health system is not overwhelemed

flattening_the_curve_final.jpg

Media Grill the fucckers

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gizit

fr336 wrote: »
    I really really doubt the shutting down the tube thing is true. But in the unlikely event it is, s**t just got real.

I have deleted the post someone was on the wind up

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

9 new cases.
    This is getting bad now.

Why arent they starting to close places?
    This is madness.

The economy is ****ed anyways. Gauranteed recession. The US economy is ****ed.

Lets just get into the pain now and hunker down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

That doctor is bricking it. He must have put his glasses on and off 3/4 dozen times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    I think we get a lot of mixed messages that just seems to confuse people.
    For sure it confuses me.

Most governments are looking at this and are predicting large infection rates.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51835856

Even at a 25% rate Ireland would be looking at 1.2 million infected.
    If that is spread over a year then it's 100k per month on average.
    This is a lot more cases than 34.

It seems like shutting everything down might mean we go from 34 to 1.2 million in 12 months instead of 6? At what cost? It doesn't seem like there is any way out of this.

It would be amazing if we could shut it down now and the number of new cases drops to zero and we come out the other side.

Yet, people in the know are predicting millions of cases when the worldwide numbers only stand at 120k just now.

It's going to drag on for months regardless.
    We might be able to slow it down but that's it.

So we have people saying "we need to shut everything down or we'll end up like Italy" but then you have high ranking officials saying "this thing is going to infect MILLIONS". Millions. That's them low balling it too, it seems.

Italy only has 10k cases. People are predicting millions of cases.

We are getting these very contradictory messages.

This is the point of slowing it down. THey have only 10k cases at once, and their health system is already being overwhelmed resulting in a spike of deaths. This is exactly what was predicted to happen, too many sick at once, not enough medical staff and equipment to go around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

joe40 wrote: »
    Do you have any body you know well maybe nephew or niece in ty or 5th could act as child minder.
    I'm not trying to be funny but there will be kids out of school.

Nope, just us. My mother has bad arthiritis and my dad has stage 3 prostate cancer. Sister lives in New York and partner's family live in UK.

Ah, we'll just have to muddle through somehow. I just know in my office alone, 80% of staff are parents to primary school age children and are worried about the same thing. Getting time off will be a nightmare :(

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Miss OMMC

Why have the people of Kinvara, Co. Galway and surrounding areas not been informed by the HSE of the rising number of cases in the area? Confirmed by Ciaran Cannon (former) TD

https://m.facebook.com/ciaran.cannon?tsid=0.3399798980083515&source=result

Why are the schools still open??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Did Holohan just say a few thousand cases nationwide.

Couldn't he get it right at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Where do your family live?

I live in Toronto. There is less panic here than in Europe. The government has been far more open about the movements and location of confirmed cases. One confirmed case last week had been travelling to and from work on public transport. They outlined the exact times of each of the trains and buses that he was on each day, and what stations he got on and off at.

The cases are increasing here, but very slowly. And considering the first case about 6 or 7 weeks ago, to be at 99 cases as of today isn't bad. There hasn't been any major spike. The cases per million is always the figure that I look at. Canada currently at 2.6, while Ireland is at 6.9 just over a week after the first case.

Also, they are currently setting up dedicated Covid-19 clinics which will located away from existing hospitals and clinics. I'm not sure where your comment regarding a lack of hospitals complexes comes from, I haven't seen any evidence of that.

I guess Toronto has experience with this from being hit by SARS so they probably have contingency plans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

circadian wrote: »
    It reduces the chances of spread, gives the health service some headroom and allows for more accurate testing. If we don't enforce social distancing immediately then that's how many days worth of spread? It's exponential, each day worse than the previous. Once we go beyond 100 cases we're ****ed.

This virus in theory infects anywhere between 2-4 people. So 100 people gets to 500 quickly and so on. There is absolutely no reason to not take measures, no matter how draconian, to reduce the spread now instead of when it's out of control like in Italy. I can see Denmark, a similar population to us, getting into the brown pants territory very soon.

I understand that and agree with it.

My point was saying lock down early reduces lock down duration has no basis in reality. It makes 0 sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Truth is, my self and partner are kinda fu**ed if my son is off school for weeks, as neither of us have jobs where working from home is an option and I have no annual leave left to take. He just started a new job last week.

Sure, I get paid leave if I have to self isolate under orders from a doctor, but not to take time off to mind my son. Many other parents in the same boat I'd imagine.

What was your plan for Summer Holidays or Easter break?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Over 6100 cases worldwide today, the highest total worldwide so far in the outbreak. France and the US have not released their total figures yet.

Tony is flustered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

flynnlives wrote: »
    9 new cases.
    This is getting bad now.

Why arent they starting to close places?
    This is madness.

The economy is ****ed anyways. Gauranteed recession. The US economy is ****ed.

Lets just get into the pain now and hunker down.

All associated with travel or contact with a known case. We're not picking up on the community transmission cases at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,302 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nine new cases but they said they have identified the source of how the people were infected which is good.

This male journalist is bugging me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Did Holohan just say a few thousand cases nationwide.

Couldn't he get it right at least
    I think he misspoke no idea what be was meaning to say tbh
    Was he doing to say number of tests done?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

He's looking a little tired tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

adam88 wrote: »
    That doctor is bricking it. He must have put his glasses on and off 3/4 dozen times
    Them's reading glasses! He keeps having to check his figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Tony is flustered

Cus hes in over his head and has no idea what to do next even though its staring him in the face

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement