Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

4 males in south of country associated with travel
    1 male and 1 female in south associated with contact with confirmed case
    2 males in east associated with travel
    1 male in east of country associated with contact with confirmed case

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Thought it would be higher than 9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

fritzelly wrote:
    Dr Ryan saying sod only testing contacts of confirmed patients and those coming from infected areas - you need to be doing widespread testing now, update your protocols NOW!
    We. Are.

theballz wrote:
    My parents are old. My father has cancer, I’ve decided not to visit them out of fear of unknowingly giving them something. When will a home testing kit for CoronaVirus become available?
    A home testing kit is not going to be available for the foreseeable.

otnomart wrote:
    There is a new fast test coming up - but I doubt it will be a home kit as such:
    Italian company DiaSorin completes studies for launch of rapid response molecular test for covid-19
    Thats not a home testing kit. Its performed on laboratory analyser.
    It's just a different method of detection than the current methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,016 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

is_that_so wrote: »
    Jaysus, that's technical stuff!

It is and it’s good to hear even if some here won’t care.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

VinLieger wrote: »
    Cus hes in over his head and has no idea what to do next even though its staring him in the face

In fairness not many people would do well in that scenario. If anyone here thinks they have a stressful job, imagine what he has to deal with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

9 is a relief. I was expecting 20.

It means there is still time to try and halt it.

No action, and we will be lucky to be talking about hundreds of cases in a day.

At the moment Italy is talking about hundreds of deaths each day. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Allinall

Naggdefy wrote: »
    9 seems low enough. I don't want to be accessed of wishing for more but the relatively low numbers could prevent us tackling this in time.

I agree.

It’s a shame there wasn’t 24,968 new cases today.

That would have shown them.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Testing will always be low here. Don't they send out a driver to your house. That driving is taking up more time getting to and from people's houses.

They need a different approach to testing.

What exactly do you suggest they do??
    People will find ways to complain about everything

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

We must be the only country that hasn't had any cases of community spread in the past few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Would the experts misinform, with altruistic motives, maybe thinking panic would do more harm?

I know it's not easy fronting the nation on tv and having no experience of it, but the glasses on/off, legs flying under the table. I just don't know..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Checking the numbers in other countries once you pass the 50 odd case mark the numbers start to jump up quickly.

Remember we are 5 or so days behind this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Longing

In two days we have 19 cases. 19 out of 43 in total. People need to take days into account how this is spreading. Not in 1 less case today.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

fritzelly wrote: »
    He was questioned about a case today not in their numbers and fumbled and didn't answer the question
    I didn't see that only saw clip on rte.
    I honestly think they are being upfront RE numbers but it's a fast moving situation.
    I think he is doing an excellent job, gives me a lot more confidence than the UK equivalent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

givyjoe wrote: »
    This is the point of slowing it down. THey have only 10k cases at once, and their health system is already being overwhelmed resulting in a spike of deaths. This is exactly what was predicted to happen, too many sick at once, not enough medical staff and equipment to go around.

I get that but if Merkel is predicting 58 million infections then there is a clear issue regarding the timescale for such numbers.

It makes it sound like the health system will inevitably become overwhelmed no matter what.

58 million cases over 5 years is still just under 1 million per month.
    It's ludicrous to think that could be handled.

So there is mixed messages there.

We even have people saying that China has it under control now.
    So these predictions of tens of millions of cases are what? Scaremongering?

The question would be if the health system can handle X cases then how long does the period of restrictions need to be to makes sure that the number of cases doesn't go too far above X?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

The acoustics are terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Longing wrote: »
    In two days we have 19 cases. 19 out of 43 in total. People need to take days into account how this is spreading. Not in 1 less case today.

Yep!

50% increase in two days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

It's kind of weird how only 3 months ago during christmas this was something literally nobody was thinking about or concerned with.
    Of all the kinds of large disasters that we encounter in the world a global pandemic has to be one of the most unexpected thing.

It's kinda chilling to think about. How fast this crisis emerged yet it seems like a train wreck happening in slow motion at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Cus hes in over his head and has no idea what to do next even though its staring him in the face
    I hear he's ready to quit, so you can just jump right in there!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

namloc1980 wrote: »
    In fairness not many people would do well in that scenario. If anyone here thinks they have a stressful job, imagine what he has to deal with!

Cant imagine the strain he is under

Same goes for frontline staff in the health service

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Cw85 wrote: »
    We must be the only country that hasn't had any cases of community spread in the past few days

We almost certainly have but we're not testing for it to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,016 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The sound levels at this press conference is up and down. It’s very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Stheno wrote: »
    Jesus

God love the medics there
    :(:( My heart goes out to all medical personnel dealing with this virus everywhere. Even more so now they have my utmost respect. May their Gods bless them, keep the safe and give them strength and courage to carry on.

I wonder if any will need counseling if/when this dies down. I know losing patients from time to time comes with the territory, but I don't know how anyone, no matter how long they are in the profession can deal with this day in and day out with an end seemingly nowhere in sight at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Its all about flattening the curve so the health system is not overwhelemed

flattening_the_curve_final.jpg

56435-48061.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

No one in the midlands..

Or is the east and south encompassing parts of the region.

Come to Laois/Offaly for the tourist season!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭isohon

Is that accurate? The below report from the Irish Times seems to suggest presence of community spread, and indeed that the lady who unfortunately lost her fight today was an example.
    The patient was diagnosed as a case of community-transmitted Covid-19 last Sunday, and had been seriously ill since.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-first-death-confirmed-in-ireland-as-who-declares-a-pandemic-1.4199223

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Longing wrote: »
    People are looking at the huge surges in other countries and feeling relieved that ours is smaller than yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

namloc1980 wrote: »
    We almost certainly have but we're not testing for it to date.

I think people are very aware of it. I've just come from the shop and all the staff are wearing gloves, and there hand wipes and gel available at the door.

Companies are telling people to work from home. Restaurants are empty - not good for the restaurants of course. One Pico Tweeted that they are closing early tonight as they don't have a single booking.

Let's hope things turn around quickly and we don't see places closing down.

Let's get the schools closed and everyone home and safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

spookwoman wrote: »
    4 males in south of country associated with travel
    1 male and 1 female in south associated with contact with confirmed case
    2 males in east associated with travel
    1 male in east of country associated with contact with confirmed case

I wonder are the ones in the South (1 male and 1 female in south associated with contact with confirmed case) part of a hospital cluster associated with the person who went diagnosed for a few days while in hospital. If that is the case they should really let people know.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

:(:( My heart goes out to all medical personnel dealing with this virus everywhere. Even more so now they have my utmost respect. May their Gods bless them, keep the same and give them strength and courage to carry on.

I wonder if any will need counseling if/when this dies down. I know losing patients from time to time comes with the territory, but I don't know how anyone, no matter how long they are in the profession can deal with this day in and day out with an end seemingly nowhere in sight at this time.

I imagine those medics in Itsly who get through this will have horrendous PTSD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Yeah it's weird, noticed that myself

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement