Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Unfortunately, these are the 9 they know about .... the concern is about those that they are waiting on results for, those that they do not know about.

I can only imagine the poor guy is under a lot of strain having to report figures. I am also worried that he is under political influence in some way... Not an easy space for him to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

LRNM wrote: »
    It's kind of weird how only 3 months ago during christmas this was something literally nobody was thinking about or concerned with.
    Of all the kinds of large disasters that we encounter in the world a global pandemic has to be one of the most unexpected thing.

It's kinda chilling to think about. How fast this crisis emerged yet it seems like a train wreck happening in slow motion at the same time.

And for a lot of the last 3 months it was just a development in China. Noteworthy but not particularly of concern. Last couple of weeks have been surreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

I've spent the last few days in meetings watching just how bad people are at not touching their faces. Also coughing all over their hands.
    We've all heard the advice, and yet we can't help ourselves. What to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

flynnlives wrote: »
    Yep!

50% increase in two days.

80% increase in two days

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

is_that_so wrote: »
    People are looking at the huge surges in other countries and feeling relieved that ours is smaller than yesterday.

Italy's was lower yesterday than previous days, then look what happened today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Longing wrote: »
    In two days we have 19 cases. 19 out of 43 in total. People need to take days into account how this is spreading. Not in 1 less case today.
    only 4 internal spread though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

What an awful job Tony Holohan has. He earns his pay these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Nine new cases here in Ireland, bringing our total to 43.

UK figure today stands at 460.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Stheno wrote: »
    Cant imagine the strain he is under

Same goes for frontline staff in the health service
    This is exactly it.

I have a friend who works in a ward in James hospital for people who are immuno compromised. She is seriously dedicated. If someone in that ward contracts this they could all be in serious trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Phil.x

It might be just my mind, but travelling to work on overcrowded trains has my mind racing, I think I can feel a burning sensation in my chest and I can definitely feel a sore spot in my neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,016 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Great advice from the CMO. Social media isn’t a wholly reliable source and they are the professionals and a reliable source.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

When will France report?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

is_that_so wrote: »
    People are looking at the huge surges in other countries and feeling relieved that ours is smaller than yesterday.

They are bathing in a false sense of security then
    The HSE are at this stage probably running out of travel related people to test

It's only when testing becomes more widespread will we see the true picture

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

whats the total between both ROI and NI?
    Unless NI hasn't reported today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Let's hope things turn around quickly and we don't see places closing down.

Let's get the schools closed and everyone home and safe.

Places closing down is exactly what you'll see, how can everyone be home and safe but still keep places open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Nine new cases here in Ireland, bringing the total to 43.

UK figure today stands at 460.

They are very consistent per head of population and daily increase.

We're copying them in our approach!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

otnomart wrote:
    This. Italy has done 73000 tests UK, nearly 28000 Rest of Europe: head in the sand

Or MAYBE countries are testing to their full capacity and cant keep up with demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Work ordered my laptop today. Finally.

Working from home will be HUGE in helping to reduce/slow the spread

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Thanks a million for that . I am in my 60’s and would quite like a nice retirement if you don’t mind . 43 years in nursing and it would be nice if my excess death is not simply to prop up the economy

Same here at nearly 80..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

sic When the WHO declared a pandemic they weren't thinking about Ireland (Holohan)

Hmmm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Nope. Read it again slowly. Then do some research on the definition of an 'airborne' virus. It is not defined simply by droplets travelling through the air and landing somewhere.

Take some time off Boards and go and correct those idiots at the Lancet:

"First, although COVID-19 is spread by the airborne route, air disinfection of cities and communities is not known to be effective for disease control and needs to be stopped."

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30152-3/fulltext

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

TTLF wrote: »

NI is part of the 460 UK figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

TTLF wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    I think we get a lot of mixed messages that just seems to confuse people.
    For sure it confuses me.

Most governments are looking at this and are predicting large infection rates.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51835856

Even at a 25% rate Ireland would be looking at 1.2 million infected.
    If that is spread over a year then it's 100k per month on average.
    This is a lot more cases than 34.

It seems like shutting everything down might mean we go from 34 to 1.2 million in 12 months instead of 6? At what cost? It doesn't seem like there is any way out of this.

It would be amazing if we could shut it down now and the number of new cases drops to zero and we come out the other side.

Yet, people in the know are predicting millions of cases when the worldwide numbers only stand at 120k just now.

It's going to drag on for months regardless.
    We might be able to slow it down but that's it.

So we have people saying "we need to shut everything down or we'll end up like Italy" but then you have high ranking officials saying "this thing is going to infect MILLIONS". Millions. That's them low balling it too, it seems.

Italy only has 10k cases. People are predicting millions of cases.

We are getting these very contradictory messages.

Yeah, that is confusing and worrying. If I thought a month or two full lockdown would solve this I would absolutely support that regardless of the economic cost or disruption.
    But if this thing is going to be with us long term economic factors have to be considered. On a very basic level the health service needs to be financed. Economic suffering will cost lives and affect the most vulnerable disproportionately
    That is not saying money is more important than human life, just how best to defeat this outbreak.
    Smarter people than me will have to make these decisions but there are no easy answers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Mortelaro wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Tony Holohan saying that people who have been instructed to restrict movements may be out in the community.

What the dickens.

Oh at least we have access to HSE.ie with its list of countries where there is spread
    Places where there is spread of coronavirus

China
    Hong Kong
    Singapore
    South Korea
    Iran
    Japan
    the following regions in Italy - Lombardy, Veneto, Emilia-Romagna or Piedmont

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

NI is part of the 460 UK figure.

i know that, im asking how many specifically in northern ireland today..
    they released it other days so, how many today? (if any)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭circadian

BloodBath wrote: »
    Wow thank you for that completely useless and off topic picture.

It still doesn't answer the question.

It answers the question perfectly. Reduce transmission to the point that health services can cope. This isn't a 2 or 3 week thing. It's extended until we see a continual and permenant drop in numbers. Along with that we need to stop movement into and out of the country, only essential travel like shipping and supplies and even then with preventative measures.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Is there any YouTube or Periscope of the news briefing? The RTE news app is unwatchable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

9 new cases is a lot more reassuring than many expected. Glad to hear the number isn't higher.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement