Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    I get that but if Merkel is predicting 58 million infections then there is a clear issue regarding the timescale for such numbers.

It makes it sound like the health system will inevitably become overwhelmed no matter what.

58 million cases over 5 years is still just under 1 million per month.
    It's ludicrous to think that could be handled.

So there is mixed messages there.

We even have people saying that China has it under control now.
    So these predictions of tens of millions of cases are what? Scaremongering?

The question would be if the health system can handle X cases then how long does the period of restrictions need to be to makes sure that the number of cases doesn't go too far above X?

There is almost no basis for any of those numbers.

It's frankly irresponsible of world leaders to be using them without some sort of context.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Unearthly wrote: »
    Work ordered my laptop today. Finally.

Working from home will be HUGE in helping to reduce/slow the spread

Lucky you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

TTLF wrote: »
    i know that, im asking how many specifically in northern ireland today..
    they released it other days so, how many today? (if any)

2 new today

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Screen%20Shot%202020-03-11%20at%209.54.38%20AM.png?itok=s4KMP45a

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

9 new cases is a lot more reassuring than many expected. Glad to hear the number isn't higher.

Still time to shut schools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

2300 total tests. (Up to this morning)
    Mean time from test to announcement is 24-48 hours (from the doctor in press conference)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Professor Luke O'Neill, who some of you may recall did a podcast with David McWilliams on the virus a week or so ago, has done another one with Newstalk and I found it quite reassuring. You can listen to it here:

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-lunchtime-live/coronavirus-questions-answered-2

He predicts we'll have an anti-viral drug ready within a month in Ireland and that we could be taking it as a prophylactic. He also says people he's spoken to at Moderna who are working on a vaccine are very optimistic and reckon they'll have it created by September (presumably the rollout of it will take longer).

I wonder will they just do limited Human trials or skip them altogether and do live trialing

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Mortelaro wrote: »
    They are bathing in a false sense of security then
    The HSE are at this stage probably running out of travel related people to test

It's only when testing becomes more widespread will we see the true picture
    No, dealing with it day by day by the public is the sensible approach. That and following the hygiene advice. You really can't claim to have any insight into what people are thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

only 4 internal spread though

Means at least 4 more unknown people spreading it..and then who spread it to those 4 unknown? More unknown people.

circadian wrote: »
    It answers the question perfectly. Reduce transmission to the point that health services can cope. This isn't a 2 or 3 week thing. It's extended until we see a continual and permenant drop in numbers. Along with that we need to stop movement into and out of the country, only essential travel like shipping and supplies and even then with preventative measures.

Em no it doesn't.

My point of contention was how does lock down early reduce lock down duration.

Not why does lock down help.

Exactly it's not a 2-3 week thing. If it was then lock down early might help reduce duration but if this isn't going away any time soon then lock down procedures aren't going to stop our need to keep those measures up to contain it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

9 new cases is a lot more reassuring than many expected. Glad to hear the number isn't higher.

That they know of. They have a very limiting criteria for getting a test

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭isohon

Only if we assume that testing is comprehensive, and that tracking of potential vectors is effective. I do not have confidence in either being the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Mortelaro wrote: »
    They are bathing in a false sense of security then
    The HSE are at this stage probably running out of travel related people to test

It's only when testing becomes more widespread will we see the true picture
    They should widen the criteria of who gets tested. That's why our figures are so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Stheno wrote: »
    Still time to shut schools

I hope not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

My layman's advice would be for a lot of posters, myself included, to take a break for the evening.

The constant reading of the progression of this virus is stressful for many, you mightn't even be aware of it. It's not good for anyone's immune system and that's what we're all going to be relying on.

So watch Athletico v Liverpool, some comedy or get some exercise and clear the heads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

The 1918 flu was the last pandemic. This is just far too scary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

It is higher

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The number that will make heads spin will be the States. It is low right now, but keep an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That they know of. They have a very limiting criteria for getting a test
    I think the criteria is being expanded seemingly now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Is there any YouTube or Periscope of the news briefing? The RTE news app is unwatchable.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=674256966649350&id=257558294273180&notif_t=live_video&notif_id=1583927973257547&ref=m_notif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I’m just saying objectively, we’re doing more. We’re not following the UK on this. They are being more lackadaisical. I didn’t suggest looking to them for guidance. I was responding to somebody saying that we are copying what they do.

What more in reality are we doing?

Cancelling a rugby match with the country with the 2nd highest infection rate in the world?

That's a no brainer, my cat could have made that decision.

As for Paddy's day, there was nothing left to cancel as all organizers collectively went, "we ain't waiting for guidance, Boggle's Cat knows we can't go ahead with them".

So what exactly have the HSE done, apart from made the bar so high for testing the criteria is you had to be skiing in Italy to get one.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Yeah it's weird, noticed that myself

Because they aren't testing anyone unless you've been in contact with a known case or have flown back from an affected region, have symptoms myself and when I rang my GP that was the answer I was given, explained I work in an environment where I met a lot of people daily and still got fobbed off, he's not normally like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Did they mention how many tests they did?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

170 more cases in Norway , now almost 600 cases there.

Norway had the exact same number of cases as Ireland 7 days ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

I wonder will they just do limited Human trials or skip them altogether and do live trialing

China maybe, probably. Can't see any European country skipping trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Xertz wrote: »
    Did they mention how many tests they did?

Some 2600

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Great advice from the CMO. Social media isn’t a wholly reliable source and they are the professionals and a reliable source.

Time to start putting ads up everywhere!

Billboards
    Tv
    Radio
    All Ireland txt alerts like other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

First death was in Naas according to irish times

• Advertisement

The 1918 flu was the last pandemic. This is just far too scary.

Nope. H1N1 was the last.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement