Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Xertz wrote: »
    Did they mention how many tests they did?
    Someone here posted 2300 as of this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dockysher

At least da GAA games still on this weekend, they need the revenue in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

fritzelly wrote: »
    sic When the WHO declared a pandemic they weren't thinking about Ireland (Holohan)

Hmmm...
    A pandemic has to do with how widespread it is, i.e. in how many countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

8 dead in UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

skimpydoo wrote: »
    They should widen the criteria of who gets tested. That's why our figures are so low.

I made a point a few pages back, shouldn't we be seeing people presenting to hospitals with breathing difficulties and mild to severe symptoms included in the figures at this stage if it's out there and spreading?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Some 2600

Only 9 cases from over 2.5k tests? I think that's very reassuring indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Tony Holohan saying that people who have been instructed to restrict movements may be out in the community.

What the dickens.

Oh at least we have access to HSE.ie with its list of countries where there is spread
    Where the **** is Spain and America? They should be on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Almost too reassuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Still no widespread testing - only contact tracing/testing

Nope.
    That is in total since they started testing.

Our test numbers are very low Norway for example have done over 2k in a day

• Advertisement

That's total tests!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

isohon wrote: »
    Is that accurate? The below report from the Irish Times seems to suggest presence of community spread, and indeed that the lady who unfortunately lost her fight today was an example.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-first-death-confirmed-in-ireland-as-who-declares-a-pandemic-1.4199223

Only three cases in the country of community spread which is nothing compared to everywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 40,017 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

dockysher wrote: »
    At least da GAA games still on this weekend, they need the revenue in fairness

Are they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

VinLieger wrote: »
    Its all about flattening the curve so the health system is not overwhelemed

flattening_the_curve_final.jpg

I think this graph is causing a lot of confusion, it certainly confused me initially. You will notice that the flattening still produces a large number of cases overall, just spread over a longer time. So we aren't trying to stop the spread at this point, nor delay it (despite that being the name of the next "phase" the Gov will follow). Rather we are trying to slow the spread down so the same number of infections happen over a longer period of time. That is what the graph is showing. The use of the word "delay" is unfortunate. If we actually managed to completely delay the spread it would just push the first peak over by a couple weeks, it wouldn't reduce its height. The height of the second peak is reduced because the infection is spreading more slowly, the average number of people being infected by each new infection has been reduced. We don't want that to go to zero though as we can't control what everyone else in the world is doing and at some point we have to lift our restrictions. What we want is a slow spread that within the capacity of our hospital system for the serious cases and is at the same time building up community immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

gmisk wrote: »
    Nope.

That's total tests!

Ah apologies, I misunderstood. So just over 40 cases then out of 2600 tests so far then?

gmisk wrote: »
    Nope.

They did say they will be ramping it up over the next 1-2 weeks. Think 300 a day was mentioned as current level in this briefing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

BloodBath wrote: »
    Nope. H1N1 was the last.

My bad, my memory is poor.

Ah apologies, I misunderstood. So just over 40 cases then out of 2600 tests so far then?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 40,017 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That’s how I took it to mean.

• Advertisement

My bad, my memory is poor.

Sure you didn't catch foot and mouth?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

500 new cases in france and 15 deaths

Ah God no worries this thread is insanely fast moving.
    I think so yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Are these type of numbers (9,10 cases ect) the numbers that Simon harris was referring to when he was saying we would see a large jump in cases this week...or can we expect to see higher numbers?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That’s how I took it to mean.
    2300 tests to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dockysher

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Are they ?

As of earlier today, yes. They see no need to cancel games yet or play behind closed doors. Few big games at weekend aswel which wil have big crowds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Boggles wrote: »
    What more in reality are we doing?

Cancelling a rugby match with the country with the 2nd highest infection rate in the world?

That's a no brainer, my cat could have made that decision.

I'm sure the cat would have said 'probably ought to stop the fans coming over altogether, match or no match'
    Boggles wrote: »
    So what exactly have the HSE done, apart from made the bar so high for testing the criteria is you had to be skiing in Italy to get one.

:confused:

Nothing. Trinity College Dublin has had to make the unilateral decision to cancel lectures, and was crticized for doing so. The The Department of Health either want more cases or are run by idiots.

Shn99 wrote: »
    Are these type of numbers (9,10 cases ect) the numbers that Simon harris was referring to when he was saying we would see a large jump in cases this week...or can we expect to see higher numbers?

He was just speculating - everyone knew they would increase

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

fr336 wrote: »
    There was a time where the economy placed human life above profit. Most people aren't old enough to remember this time though. There's the economy of a country and then there's an economy run for constant short term, lazy gains holding back human progress significantly so the "wealth creators" can have their dime. It's pathetic.

"The economy" should and at one time did exist to support the people ie for human life. "Money is now their god." and " the love of money is the root of all evil." come to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I'd like to start of with a quick story.
    Up until 5yrs ago I would suffer mild hay fever most summers, nothing I couldn't cope with but a little annoying. Anyway that was until a friend of my Mum who seen me sneeze and sniffle one sunny day and asked ohhh have you hay-fever,I said "aye it's grand just a bit here and there".. so she suggested I rub a small dab of Vaseline at the entrance to my nostrils and went on to explain about how the pollen would stick to the vaseline and prevent it from entering my system, I thought yes that actually makes sense.... Long story short that's exactly what I have done ever since and I swear my 'mild' hay-fever has never returned.
    Look I stand to be corrected by science, I stand to be corrected by boardsies etc no worries.. but if I thought this would even stop one grain of covid 19 entering my system then give it a go shir what have you got to lose
    No coffin, the dead are immediately cremated in bodybags.

Or it could be an attractor for the virus and you could stand to be infected more easily by doing this. Pollen is a very large particle, this virus is many thousands of times smaller. We just don't know, so there's no real help in saying this. Any more than whoever was spreading the rumour that saunas kill the virus. Dangerous and unhelpful.

I'd like a definitive yes or no....not an argumentative SHUT UP SAM YOU'RE SPREADING DANGEROUS WAFFLE

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement