Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

And an even bigger moron to think there is no difference between a conscious decision and an unavoidable side effect

That’s sounds like something straight out of the Catholic Church’s ‘double effect’ playbook!

Also should point out that taking the conscious decision will often have a better outcome than just accepting side effects as unavoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Shn99 wrote: »
    Are these type of numbers (9,10 cases ect) the numbers that Simon harris was referring to when he was saying we would see a large jump in cases this week...or can we expect to see higher numbers?

Unless we are very exceptional somehow, cases will follow the curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Only 9 cases from over 2.5k tests? I think that's very reassuring indeed!
    43 out of 2300 iirc.

Also, can someone confirm he's just said if A in Ireland passes it to B in Ireland, they're not calling that community transmission because they know how B got it? Is that how it's defined?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Over 6700 cases worldwide today outside China with 330 deaths so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭circadian

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Almost too reassuring.

Announcement of a positive test takes 24-48 hours so expect the actual rise in numbers to be delayed. Monday onwards could get interesting. If we plateau into the weekend we'll be doing well. I'd say Friday will be our highest yet, anywhere between 12-15.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

And there is nothing to suggest we are exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Tony Holohan saying that people who have been instructed to restrict movements may be out in the community.

What the dickens.

Oh at least we have access to HSE.ie with its list of countries where there is spread

Out of interest, where did you get that list, and is it current?

Surely there should be more countries on the list by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It would be great to see us bucking that trend but as he keeps saying, a lot is still unknown about this virus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Mr.S wrote: »
    Err, did you forget about 2009?

I don't remember the swine flu closing things, putting people into isolation and quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Phibsboro wrote: »
    I think this graph is causing a lot of confusion, it certainly confused me initially. You will notice that the flattening still produces a large number of cases overall, just spread over a longer time.
    That graph doesn't convey that to me at all, the area's plotted on the graph are radically different in size. However, I assume that's a flaw with the graph and not your interpretation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,531 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ficheall wrote: »
    Also, can someone confirm he's just said if A in Ireland passes it to B in Ireland, they're not calling that community transmission because they know how B got it? Is that how it's defined?
    Community transmission means infections within a population are not imported from another virus-hit area

But they don't class it as such...weird

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

89195796_10157918589345516_2440600077731889152_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=o5NSbkn53I4AX8qp5eD&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=1c218c323279ea39532cb29c954d465e&oe=5E8E1F20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm sure the cat would have said 'probably ought to stop the fans coming over altogether, match or no match'

. The The Department of Health either want more cases or are run by idiots.
    Is there another option? Can I go 50/50 on this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Sneezing like mad all evening, pray for me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Can somebody explain this curve?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

finally, more school closures in France: Montpellier and Corsica
    Not yet nationwide, though

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Shn99 wrote: »
    Are these type of numbers (9,10 cases ect) the numbers that Simon harris was referring to when he was saying we would see a large jump in cases this week...or can we expect to see higher numbers?

Didn't we have less than ten cases a week ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

Graces7 wrote: »
    "The economy" should and at one time did exist to support the people ie for human life. "Money is now their god." and " the love of money is the root of all evil." come to mind.

Again, welcome to Ireland under Fine Gael. Laissez-faire Economics is more important than the people of this country. It’s going to cause more economic damage when we end up like Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Acosta

Boggles wrote: »

So what exactly have the HSE done, apart from made the bar so high for testing the criteria is you had to be skiing in Italy to get one.

:confused:

When the HSE was asked at the press briefing a few day's ago should we adopt the same measures Italy are taking now to avoid getting to where they are, in his response the first thing he mentioned was the economy. That set off alarm bells in my head. It's not his job to worry about the economy.

I'm still struggling to understand why they're only now talking about expanding the criteria for being tested beyond people that have been to an infected region when somebody that hadn't been out of the Country got it in Cork a week ago.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Cw85 wrote: »

Are you snotty?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,017 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ficheall wrote: »
    43 out of 2300 iirc.

Yes that’s what he said. If they can clearly identify the source of the infection they aren’t classifying it as community transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

Have to prioritise who we pray for and tbh you sound like a goner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Tomrota wrote: »
    First death was in Naas according to irish times

Where does it say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

otnomart wrote: »
    finally, more school closures in France: Montpellier and Corsica
    Not yet nationwide, though

Macron threw in the towel a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Passed by a few Italians today seemed very excited about something.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Graces7 wrote: »
    "The economy" should and at one time did exist to support the people ie for human life. "Money is now their god." and " the love of money is the root of all evil." come to mind.

Where in the history books will you find anything to back up this??
    The economy is reliant on money only unfortunately not people and always was, and we have, in the future something not experienced before, a massive issue regarding an elderly population.
    Anyway the issue here is dealing with the effects of not stopping the virus, we can do what we can

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You should be grand don't think it's a symptom in general lol same goes for runny nose (at least small percentage only).
    Btw I have a bit of a runny nose and scratchy throat people can still get colds etc :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

This could be one of the biggest scandals this state has ever seen

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement