Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

gmisk wrote: »
    How so? What is the scandal?
    It's a pandemic.

How many flights are coming in from Europe still with huge numbers. Plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not true of course.... Folk who live there know and say differently . Bless you! lol ;) Really! ;)

Nothing worse than somebody patronizing you on the internet, adult discussion, verifiable facts and common decency please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Was she from Naas or transported from somewhere else?
    The death of of the patient, an elderly woman with an underlying health condition, occurred in Naas General Hospital, Co Kildare earlier on Wednesday, The Irish Times understands..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Sorry if posted already.
    Watching BBC news and UK health minister has Corona virus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Scandal?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

LRNM wrote: »
    Lads....donated blood has to be tested also.

Everyone go give blood!
    I would love to...and I used to but unfortunately I am gay and they don't want it.
    In a relationship with same guy for 7 years and married but hey
    Their loss I have cracking blood, O negative

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not true of course.... Folk who live there know and say differently . Bless you! lol ;) Really! ;)

More scaremongering from Graces7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

ITman88 wrote: »
    Yeah people don’t realise we have until now lived the most privileged lives in history.
    It’s over now, society is breaking down

What the hell are you talking about? :confused:

I saw you earlier saying that 50,000 people dying in Ireland would be unrealistic without giving explanation - presumably because it's never happened before.

There's no rulebook on what's going to happen here, but worst case scenarios could be pretty bad.

So what exactly is your irritation at people giving this attention and preparing for the worst at what is a bad situation? :confused:

You're free to ignore it if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Can somebody explain this curve?
    The big curve is the expected number of cases over time until it peaks and the graph shows that surge we've seen in a lot of countries. The flattening of the curve as it has been called means managing cases so that while you may get about the same number you have fewer at the same time. As it is over a longer period a heath system can cope better with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

blade1 wrote: »
    Sorry if posted already.
    Watching BBC news and UK health minister has Corona virus

Junior health minister

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Junior health minister
    So not old enough to die from it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 52,007 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

This could be one of the biggest scandals this state has ever seen

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Take some time off Boards and go and correct those idiots at the Lancet:

"First, although COVID-19 is spread by the airborne route, air disinfection of cities and communities is not known to be effective for disease control and needs to be stopped."

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30152-3/fulltext

It is transmitted by the airborne route, i.e. droplets travel through the air. It is not an 'airborne' virus. That is a fact. 'Airborne' viruses remain in the air. It's a technical definition. I can't make the definition any simpler so I'll leave it with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

How many flights are coming in from Europe still with huge numbers. Plenty
    If you classify that as a scandal...it's is pretty much the same in all of Europe...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

wakka12 wrote: »

We're still in the wait and see phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I honestly don't know if this is a wind up. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I believe that it should be weighted when it comes to questions of facts, like science, medicine engineering etc.

So I'll add Angela Merkel to the list of people who've got this all wrong. As this rolls on I'm starting to think it is a wind up.
    • epidimiologists
    • World Leaders
    • Doctors
    • Mathematicians
    • Twitter
    • Maths
    • Probability
    • Science

I asked a question a couple of threads back when you commented that some guy is a moron (an epidemiologist) and I didn't hear back.

What do you know that the whole world doesn't? Serious question.

And I asked you to show the modelling that proves these numbers. I can't exactly disprove them without that.

I understand how science works and it's not 1 team doing a computer simulation with very limited data sets and no accounting for the reactions of people and governments to reduce those numbers.

There has been a lot of bad science surrounding this so forgive me for being sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

I'm not much clued up on this... but with the WHO saying it's a pandemic, does that mean that the fund started about 5 years ago will go to the coronavirus instead of the folks that funded it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

branie2 wrote: »
    I hope we won't have any more deaths

We are going to have many thousands.

Yes that is pessimistic, but listening to what is coming out of Italy from seasoned medical professionals our health system is literally going to fall apart.

The complete shambles that is the HSE and Dept of Health is going to become very apparent to every single person in this country and not just those of us who have deal with it or who have family members affected by it.

In Italy they simply cannot cope, they are at battlefield tirage levels where they simply have to decide to leave some to die.

They don't have the facilities and now the staff are reaching burnout and themselves coming down with it.
    They are ignoring stroke victims and other emergency trauma cases.

They are having to just leave people over 65 and anyone younger with comorbidities and not even assess them.
    The most they are offering some is oxygen.

comorbidities is other secondary additional conditions.

They are turning operating theatres in ICUs.

Folks we have about 400 odd ICU beds in this country.
    How quickly can they be filled ?

Boggles wrote: »
    Yeah, but the leader of their country is what you would get if a clown fúcked a car alarm.

I wouldn't be looking to them for guidance.

Their leader has probably being exposed already as a minister has it.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Yes

What scandal stevie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Where is the fella who was PMing everyboylast night saying there would be 42 cases reported today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

Was she from Naas or transported from somewhere else?
    Well I doubt she was brought from Dublin to Naas hospital unless the ICU’s are overcrowded in Dublin. So she must’ve been in the North Kildare region (Naas, Maynooth, etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

tuxy wrote: »
    How long until a total breakdown?
    No electricity and no shops open?

Well if you apply the recommendations of the posters on this thread re working from home, as soon as working from home starts.

Unless of course we allow the utility supply companies to work at which stage we aren’t working from home as that will require phenomenal man power across the country.

Working from home is only available for a small number of professions, the handy numbers we will call them, the rest ain’t so lucky

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Italy's was lower yesterday than previous days, then look what happened today!

That was attributed to not all hospitals returning stats according to an earlier poster based in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

otnomart wrote: »

My bad, he is speaking tomorrow
    Take your time...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I guess I think we're all ****ed and I keep thinking of the Spanish flu.

Were 1.9M people infected in Ireland back then?

Both of my great grandparents died in their 20's from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

gmisk wrote: »
    I would love to...and I used to but unfortunately I am gay and they don't want it.
    In a relationship with same guy for 7 years and married but hey
    Their loss I have cracking blood, O negative

I actually don't know if they test it for covid19 but I'd assume so.

I wonder how the blood banks in italy are coping?

Not sure if this is the kind of disease that would do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭thomas 123

jmayo wrote: »
    We are going to have many thousands.

Yes that is pessimistic, but listening to what is coming out of Italy from seasoned medical professionals our health system is literally going to fall apart.

The complete shambles that is the HSE and Dept of Health is going to become very apparent to every single person in this country and not just those of us who have deal with it or who have family members affected by it.

In Italy they simply cannot cope, they are at battlefield tirage levels where they simply have to decide to leave some to die.

They don't have the facilities and now the staff are reaching burnout and themselves coming down with it.
    They are ignoring stroke victims and other emergency trauma cases.

They are having to just leave people over 65 and anyone younger with comorbidities and not even assess them.
    The most they are offering some is oxygen.

comorbidities is other secondary additional conditions.

They are turning operating theatres in ICUs.

Folks we have about 400 odd ICU beds in this country.
    How quickly can they be filled ?

Their leader has probably being exposed already as a minister has it.

We will overcome this! We will! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

I don't know if this has been mentioned already because the thread is so busy. Malta have introduced mandatory quarantine for people who have arrived back from a number of countries, if you don't observe quarantine you get a 1000e fine with police doing spot checks. There is also a ban on air and sea travel starting from midnight from Spain, France, Germany and Switzerland, they already banned travel from Italy. They have only had 6 cases so far but have a far smaller population that us.

I don't see why we can't do similar, mandatory quarantine at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Boggles wrote:
    So what exactly have the HSE done, apart from made the bar so high for testing the criteria is you had to be skiing in Italy to get one.
    - Restricted visiting to a number of hospitals.
    - NAS staff providing a service to test people without having to come to A&E
    - Setting up isolation wards in hospitals
    - Increased training for staff on the front lines in the care of infected patients.
    - Number of patients on trollies reducing
    - HR policy for redeployment of staff in a crisis including the suspension of annual leave and perhaps pulling people back that have retired.
    - Cancelling outpatient appointments
    - Cancelling elective suregries to prevent ICU cases.
    - Extended testing facilities in other hospitals to increase testing capacity.
    (this should allow for broader testing criteria)

gmisk wrote:
    Our test numbers are very low Norway for example have done over 2k in a day
    I'm blue in the face repeating myself but i will continue to do so when people don't understand the process.

Our testing numbers are "low" in comparisons to other countries because up until now only the NVRL could provide testing.

Other countries have been providing testing in multiple facilities. The UK have 8 South Korea have 79+.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement