Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

China was getting 10s of thousands of cases a day at one stage.

Now they are done to 60 cases a day.

It can be stopped.

People just need to try, or if unwilling, be forced to.

China took extraordinary measures that simply would not be possible in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I read the Greens want weddings, funerals and baptism banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

This is a tough one. Bearing in mind I can kinda "see into the future" by looking at every other country that has had an outbreak before us and that everything the experts (doom mongers I believe you call them) said has transpired.

I think I'm going to go with them on this one. Thanks for the opinion though.

What about Angela being responsible? The German Chancellor, leader of 83 million people is not being responsible. Maybe she feels that her people should know the facts and prepare. Maybe she knows that they can be trusted with such serious information and make decisions for themselves and not have to hand held. She made a good call by blocking exports of personal protection equipment. (I think you said they don't work) This is the real world though and countries and peoples should act in their peoples interest. It is their duty in fact. Glad to see someone them take it seriously. Leo said it was bad yesterday, I guess he doesn't get either.

Yes move the goalposts. It is irresponsible to say 70% worldwide infection rate when there is currently little evidence to support this.

Show the damn study then. There is nothing factual about it but using these numbers makes them fact in some peoples minds.

This can spread fear and panic which makes the situation worse which is irresponsible. It's bad leadership. But hey that's just my opinion.

At no point did I say protective gear does not work and I'm in full support of taking whatever measures are needed to minimise this.

I will call out what I see as flawed BS science whenever I see it though.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Thanks folk but that is not the one. But it’s good all the same.

This one? https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

• Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm drinking Aloe Vera and Apple Cider Vinegar maybe I should move on to the strong stuff Vodka :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

It is transmitted by the airborne route, i.e. droplets travel through the air. It is not an 'airborne' virus. That is a fact. 'Airborne' viruses remain in the air. It's a technical definition. I can't make the definition any simpler so I'll leave it with you.

My point is that its misleading to to say its not an airborne virus to the general public, when it is a virus that is spread by the airborne route.

Sort of reminds me of:

https://youtu.be/SXn2QVipK2o?t=77

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

jmayo wrote:
    What about setup of new temporary ICUs ?

What about purchase of new ventilators ?

What about sanctions for staff that ignore isolation guidelines ? Yes I have heard of one gent that ignored it and is now sick.
    We're trying to acquire more ICU beds as it is. Providing intensive care isnt like throwing a few beds in a room.

I've no doubt the powers that be are trying to acquire all the medical equipment needed to get us through this.

We can't babysit everyone, healthcare worker or not. It's up to all of us to adhere to hand hygiene and isolation advice.

The distain on this thread for the people that are trying their best, working night and day to cope with this is so disheartening and frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

They were epidemics no?

According to Wikipedia, they were pandemics.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

Micky 32 wrote: »

They'll get my vote next time round so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Micky 32 wrote: »

They want those things banned virus or no virus, year zero fruitcakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

We could totally beat this if we put our minds to it. We don't have to just silently endure it.

Yeaaaa the power of positive thinking.
    ITman88 wrote: »
    My irritation is based on the scare mongering that’s occurring on this thread. You do know elevated anxiety levels lower the immune system, I know because a family member suffers anxiety.

Anyhow, posters have a habit of ignoring specific important details of this virus.
    It’s affects the elderly, vulnerable and crucially the terminally ill which a lot of victims have been until now. Italy has the oldest population in Europe, this why it’s affecting them so bad. The predictions for Ireland’s infection rates are bizarre.

Yes this virus requires attention, it also requires a measured approach, lockdown as posters are calling it is not required in this country and might never be.

The indicators are predicting a massive recession in Italy, a recession that will change the quality of life back to WW2. The prosperous economy is why people are living longer and vulnerable people have a better quality of life.

Ah Dr Holohan welcome to the thread.

The delusion is strong in this one. :rolleyes:

Northern Italy with a reasonably good health service is in meltdown and you think the HSE and Dept of Health led one here is going to be fine.

Seriously why do you think Ireland and Irish people are going to be immune to this unlike every other country in the world ???

I am not allowed discuss …

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'm drinking Aloe Vera and Apple Cider Vinegar maybe I should move on to the strong stuff Vodka :p

Drink the aloe Vera gel . Great stuff for immune system

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

VinLieger wrote: »
    You are living in a fantasy land, if we do not implement a lockdown our health system will be overwhelmed leading to far more needless deaths than would happen if we did do a lockdown which would wreck our economy far more than a lockdown ever could

How do you know??
    Our culture here is different to Italy, we are taking precautions, we don’t shake hands anymore, we don’t kiss when greeting, we are very aware around personal hygiene.
    We had low numbers of cases announced today, which unfortunately, didn’t sit well with certain members here and decided to post ramblings about not being told the truth.
    We are doing what’s required, it’s up to the citizens who are vulnerable to ensure they have diminished social contact

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I wonder how those prioritising the economy would feel if they started getting symptoms? Assume they'll be demanding to buy the best instead of the peasants.

I didnt mention family as no point as they probably dont have anyone to give a shíte about.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We're trying to acquire more ICU beds as it is. Providing intensive care isnt like throwing a few beds in a room.

I've no doubt the powers that be are trying to acquire all the medical equipment needed to get us through this.

We can't babysit everyone, healthcare worker or not. It's up to all of us to adhere to hand hygiene and isolation advice.

The distain on this thread for the people that are trying their best, working night and day to cope with this is so disheartening and frustrating.

I think people are frustrated at the lack of clarity and they are scared

Social media is not helping

Dont think anyone doubts the sincere efforts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Being stocking up on extra essentials in light of all what's going on.
    Initially thought we must stock up ( had argument with the Wife as she thinks I'm a bit crazy), then felt a little silly today but now again after reading this thread and other news online expecting huge fall out anytime now!

It's like a rollercoaster at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭s982102

namloc1980 wrote: »

Nothing is impossible. The question is if you would like to do so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    No offence, but that’s some amount of waffle.

Unbelievable stuff. I knew that kind of virtue signalling would begin soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭fabo1thecross

Spot on. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

ITman88 wrote: »
    How do you know??
    Our culture here is different to Italy, we are taking precautions, we don’t shake hands anymore, we don’t kiss when greeting, we are very aware around personal hygiene.
    We had low numbers of cases announced today, which unfortunately, didn’t sit well with certain members here and decided to post ramblings about not being told the truth.
    We are doing what’s required, it’s up to the citizens who are vulnerable to ensure they have diminished social contact

Im gonna save this post for a week from now and lets see how absolutely incredibly wrong you were.

In fact im gonna start doing it for as many posters as i can that claim its all grand and theres nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    No offence, but that’s some amount of waffle.

Ok to more to the point people on here counting cases and deaths figures mean nothing unless it touches your life personally.

The flights out of the infected part of Italy should have been stopped straight away.

Saying we only have this many cases and so on is no help to those in serious condition or the families of those who have died.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

namloc1980 wrote: »

People not leaving the house is not the most extraordinary thing ever. Difficult? Yes. Impossible? Far from it.

Italy is giving it a shot right now. They took way too long before starting, but we can see if it works.

Then, if it does work in a week or two, we might be in as bad a position as Italy is in now, and that may finally, finally give our leaders the impetus to start taking this as seriously as it merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

vladmydad wrote: »
    They want those things banned virus or no virus, year zero fruitcakes.

I don’t know what’s more scary the virus or them, read earlier if they go in coalition Ryan could be Taoiseach for a year.
    Anyway back on topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

jmayo wrote: »
    Yeaaaa the power of positive thinking.

Ah Dr Holohan welcome to the thread.

The delusion is strong in this one. :rolleyes:

Northern Italy with a reasonably good health service is in meltdown and you think the HSE and Dept of Health led one here is going to be fine.

Seriously why do you think Ireland and Irish people are going to be immune to this unlike every other country in the world ???

“Delusion is strong” says a lad from Mayo.

You seem to ignore the effect of the age profile in Italy, the oldest in Europe.

The health service was not better than ours and was already struggling with an older population.

A higher number of smokers also in Italy so a higher number of respiratory issues.

Irish people ain’t immune, they are better conditioned to fight it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Hands wrecked, coming to the party late but im going panic buying moisturiser tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Hands wrecked, coming to the party late but im going panic buying moisturiser tomorrow.

I think you will find your username appropriate when you go shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

not yet wrote: »
    Time to start the pillaging and the raping..

Just make sure you do not touch anything ... contaminated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement