Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,833 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

According to Wikipedia, they were pandemics.

The word 'pandemic' merely refers to a virus or contagious disease found in many countries.

I get the impression from comments today that some people think it refers to a scenario where large numbers of the population are infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Hands wrecked, coming to the party late but im going panic buying moisturiser tomorrow.

WTF are you people washing your hands with? Swarfega?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    My point is that its misleading to to say its not an airborne virus to the general public, when it is a virus that is spread by the airborne route.

Sort of reminds me of:

https://youtu.be/SXn2QVipK2o?t=77

Indeed. There won't be much kissing of hands for a while. If ever again. The problem is this, if you call it 'airborne' officially (especially when it isn't) then that opens up a Pandora's box for health services that they don't need right now. That's why the EU's ECDC specifically said it wan't airborne in their advice to healthcare practitioners.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

ITman88 wrote: »
    My irritation is based on the scare mongering that’s occurring on this thread. You do know elevated anxiety levels lower the immune system, I know because a family member suffers anxiety.

Anyhow, posters have a habit of ignoring specific important details of this virus.
    It’s affects the elderly, vulnerable and crucially the terminally ill which a lot of victims have been until now. Italy has the oldest population in Europe, this why it’s affecting them so bad. The predictions for Ireland’s infection rates are bizarre.

Yes this virus requires attention, it also requires a measured approach, lockdown as posters are calling it is not required in this country and might never be.

The indicators are predicting a massive recession in Italy, a recession that will change the quality of life back to WW2. The prosperous economy is why people are living longer and vulnerable people have a better quality of life.

Just 'WOW'.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The distain on this thread for the people that are trying their best, working night and day to cope with this is so disheartening and frustrating.

It's nothing personal....it's the system....to Joe Public it does not appear reactive.

Also the attitude/approach of the HSE, in their press conferences/public statements, at the outset, was not helpful (at all). It was condescending, vague and evassive.

Whoever advised on the PR approach made a big mistake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

BloodBath wrote: »
    WTF are you people washing your hands with? Swarfega?
    battery acid seems from few having issues here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Kalyke

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

A long, informative and worrying read. "Washington State is the USAs Wuhan" jumped out at me. Bottom line. We need to Socially Isolate NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Unbelievable stuff. I knew that kind of virtue signalling would begin soon.

Anyone who uses the phrase ‘virtue signaling’ doing a kind of signaling of another variety

We're trying to acquire more ICU beds as it is. Providing intensive care isnt like throwing a few beds in a room.

I've no doubt the powers that be are trying to acquire all the medical equipment needed to get us through this.

We can't babysit everyone, healthcare worker or not. It's up to all of us to adhere to hand hygiene and isolation advice.

The distain on this thread for the people that are trying their best, working night and day to cope with this is so disheartening and frustrating.

Haters gotta hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

We're trying to acquire more ICU beds as it is. Providing intensive care isnt like throwing a few beds in a room.

I've no doubt the powers that be are trying to acquire all the medical equipment needed to get us through this.

We can't babysit everyone, healthcare worker or not. It's up to all of us to adhere to hand hygiene and isolation advice.

My other half works in health service, not front line A&E but is medical professional.
    I know medical staff will be trying their very best, but my issue is the age old one of the management of the HSE/Dept of health, both from medical staff and non medical staff.

The very fact the CMO, a doctor, comes out with such dangerous cr** as almost admonishing the nursing homes for coming up with suggestion about limiting visitors to their facilities is frankly quite scary.

If this is what someone with a diploma in healthcare management from that esteemed institution, the RCSI, comes out with then you might as well let some lad from down the local pub drive the planning.

Why are people trying to downplay this, act now to safe lives later.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

VinLieger wrote: »
    Im gonna save this post for a week from now and lets see how absolutely incredibly wrong you were.
    In fact im gonna start doing it for as many posters as i can that claim its all grand and theres nothing to worry about.
    Agree, but ITman88 has been at this 'only the flu' story for days now.

Could be a chance he's an automated chatbox pinging in from Siberia or somewhere. Those new chatbot's are smart, all on fancy AI algorithms.

Meanwhile the lads over at the WHO have finally woke up and pressed their 'Pandemic button' (must have been hiding in a cupboard). Everyone else has this lit up for a fair while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

“Delusion is strong” says a lad from Mayo.

You seem to ignore the effect of the age profile in Italy, the oldest in Europe.

Average age Ireland: 36.5 years
    Average age Italy: 45.4 years
    The health service was not better than ours and was already struggling with an older population.

worldpopulationreview.com/countries/best-healthcare-in-the-world/#dataTable

A higher number of smokers also in Italy so a higher number of respiratory issues.

Smoking in Italy has been banned in public places including bars, restaurants, discotheques and offices since 2005, one year after Ireland.
    Irish people ain’t immune, they are better conditioned to fight it

Sorry to say it, but not with attitudes like yours. Nor do I think you are by any means alone.

I may be a libertarian, but I for once think that a strict government response should be brought about. This is an emergency and emergency protocol is necessary. No more time for namby pambyness - peoples' lives are at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

sterz wrote: »
    What was the point of your post re the Italians you saw?

Not in self quarantine!

Nearly all cases here have been traced to Italy and yet we still are bringing Italians in, the worst hot spot outside China!

The Chinese had self-isolated after coming here earlier and no case found here has been traced to them or China.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

namloc1980 wrote: »
    All associated with travel or contact with a known case. We're not picking up on the community transmission cases at all.

As the test criteria up to now only included people who were symptomatic and had either travelled to a known 'hot spot' or had contact with a confirmed case it wouldn't be expected to catch community transmission cases.

The community transmission cases diagnosed to date have been people who were already being treated in hospitals for other conditions and were tested when their condition deteriorated.

Now that the number of labs testing is being increased and the test criteria widened to include symptomatic people who have neither been to a 'hot spot' nor been in contact with a confirmed case we can expect to increasingly identify community transmitted cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

VinLieger wrote: »
    Im gonna save this post for a week from now and lets see how absolutely incredibly wrong you were.

In fact im gonna start doing it for as many posters as i can that claim its all grand and theres nothing to worry about.

I have already noticed that some posters who as recently as last Sunday were dismissive or even agressive towards people saying a lockdown in Italy was necessary, and who have now gone very quiet or even have started supporting the idea of the lockdown :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

scamalert wrote: »
    battery acid seems from few having issues here.

Are they drinking it or washing hands with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Quick calculation of current (active) cases per million population,

Iceland 247 per million (pop 340,000)
    Italy 175
    South Korea 144
    Norway 108
    Qatar 99
    Denmark 76
    Switzerland 75
    Iran 68
    Sweden 49
    Spain 42
    Netherlands 29
    France 27
    Belgium 27
    Austria 27
    Germany 22
    Singapore 15
    Estonia 12
    China 12
    Finland 11
    Ireland 9
    Czech Republic 8
    UK 7
    Portugal 6
    Japan 4
    USA 3
    Canada 2
    Poland 1

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

utmbuilder wrote: »
    If you where to run and hide for the Summer any destinations that are all clear it appears not!!

West Mayo, offshore island. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

saabsaab wrote: »
    Not in self quarantine!

Nearly all cases here have been traced to Italy and yet we still are bringing Italians in, the worst hot spot outside China!

The Chinese had self-isolated after coming here earlier and no case found here has been traced to them or China.

Ah. Didn't realise they were tourists and had just arrived/arrived in the last few weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Hands wrecked, coming to the party late but im going panic buying moisturiser tomorrow.

That's the only thing I hoarded for this.

• Advertisement

Average age Ireland: 36.5 years
    Average age Italy: 45.4 years

https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/best-healthcare-in-the-world/

Smoking in Italy has been banned in public places including bars, restaurants, discotheques and offices since 2005, one year after Ireland.

Sorry to say it, but not with attitudes like yours. Nor do I think you are by any means alone.

I may be a libertarian, but I for once think that a strict government response should be brought about. This is an emergency and emergency protocol is necessary. No more time for namby pambyness - peoples' lives are at stake.

You’ve quoted me on the age profile it’s almost 10 years!!!! You can see that????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    No offence, but that’s some amount of waffle.

They couldnt conquer the blue sky either

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Now that the Pandemic has been declared does this give governments any additional powers to make changes or do things? (Without legislation?)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Does this announcement guarantee a refund from your Airline if traveling to those areas? Was supposed to travel to Madrid on the 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Life has to go on for most people, you know, get up, get on public transport, go to work, be at work, then do it all in reverse.

But hopefully some stringent measures will be introduced regarding schools, colleges, gatherings of more than 1,000 (or even fewer) people, social distancing, and so on.

Look, the slagging towards people who CAN observe the best practices is typical Irish, but every little will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭lillycakes2

Healthy people with the Covid 19 will need to stop being admitted to Hospital. Its a waste of an isolation room at this stage and it is a risk to Hospital staff and vulnerable patients.It is also a waste of resources e.g. PPE's which need to be preserved for a possible crisis. Young and otherwise healthy people with the Covid 19 ,in my opinion, would be perfectly fine to self isolate at home .The whole regime of shipping everyone off to Hospital with this has to stop !

Agree, but ITman88 has been at this 'only the flu' story for days now.

Could be a chance he's an automated chatbox pinging in from Siberia or somewhere. Those new chatbot's are smart, all on fancy AI algorithms.

Meanwhile the lads over at the WHO have finally woke up and pressed their 'Pandemic button' (must have been hiding in a cupboard). Everyone else has this lit up for a fair while now.

Did I anywhere say it’s just the flu over the last few days?

Healthy people with the Covid 19 will need to stop being admitted to Hospital. Its a waste of an isolation room at this stage and it is a risk to Hospital staff and vulnerable patients.Young and otherwise healthy people with the Covid 19 ,in my opinion, would be perfectly fine to self isolate at home .The whole regime of shipping everyone off to Hospital with this has to stop !

It will. Triage will kick in very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

My irritation is based on the scare mongering that’s occurring on this thread. You do know elevated anxiety levels lower the immune system, I know because a family member suffers anxiety.

Anyhow, posters have a habit of ignoring specific important details of this virus.
    It’s affects the elderly, vulnerable and crucially the terminally ill which a lot of victims have been until now. Italy has the oldest population in Europe, this why it’s affecting them so bad. The predictions for Ireland’s infection rates are bizarre.

Nobody is ignoring any of those things. Nobody under 60 who isn't immunocompromised (that includes me) thinks they might die. Don't project your selfishness ("oh it's not too dangerous for me? ah grand shur who cares so?") onto others.

The numbers projected for Ireland aren't "bizarre" at all, they're grounded in the predictions of what can happen. You're utterly clueless on what might happen. It can easily go either way.
    Yes this virus requires attention, it also requires a measured approach, lockdown as posters are calling it is not required in this country and might never be.

The indicators are predicting a massive recession in Italy, a recession that will change the quality of life back to WW2. The prosperous economy is why people are living longer and vulnerable people have a better quality of life.

And what do you think the recession will be like if we don't lock down now to try to avoid that point? The whole point of the lockdown is to avoid the worst.

You can't just say ah well who cares if some old people die. We can go China's route where only a tiny proportion of their population have died, or we can have thousands and thousands of people dying. Our actions now will definitely dictate the lives of those people. We are definitely sacrificing lives already by moving at all.

All I can hope for is that you probably don't understand what you're saying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement