Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭landofthetree

BREAKING: Denmark closes all schools and universities due to coronavirus, orders all public sector employees with non-critical jobs to be sent home from Friday - Reuters

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Life has to go on for most people, you know, get up, get on public transport, go to work, be at work, then do it all in reverse.

You're totally correct. But even if there is a 30% reduction on the number of people on a rush hour luas it has a non linear effect on reducing transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,150 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Listening to someone from department of education talking of disruption of leaving cert so on, WTF, I think far more is at stake than that. Close schools now until Sep, not difficult, geez.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

pc7 wrote: »
    Now that the Pandemic has been declared does this give governments any additional powers to make changes or do things? (Without legislation?)

The W.H.O. spokesman said that using the word 'pandemic' doesn't really alter the overall situation. It refers mainly to the numbers of countries reporting cases, not to a dramatic spike in cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

ITman88 wrote: »
    You’ve quoted me on the age profile it’s almost 10 years!!!! You can see that????

Well yes. It is the oldest country in Europe as you say. Does that mean we don't have a significant number of old people here? No.

Italy is on average about 25% older than Ireland. Therefore we could expect, what.. 75% of the death rate of Italy? Big win there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Healthy people with the Covid 19 will need to stop being admitted to Hospital. Its a waste of an isolation room at this stage and it is a risk to Hospital staff and vulnerable patients.Young and otherwise healthy people with the Covid 19 ,in my opinion, would be perfectly fine to self isolate at home .The whole regime of shipping everyone off to Hospital with this has to stop !

I thought that's what they were doing already?

We're trying to acquire more ICU beds as it is. Providing intensive care isnt like throwing a few beds in a room.

I've no doubt the powers that be are trying to acquire all the medical equipment needed to get us through this.

We can't babysit everyone, healthcare worker or not. It's up to all of us to adhere to hand hygiene and isolation advice.

The distain on this thread for the people that are trying their best, working night and day to cope with this is so disheartening and frustrating.

Great post. The bit in bold is so so important. The actions of the general population as a whole will mitigate (not stop) this crisis. Its the message from all sectors of the healthcare profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

ITman88 wrote: »

The indicators are predicting a massive recession in Italy, a recession that will change the quality of life back to WW2. The prosperous economy is why people are living longer and vulnerable people have a better quality of life.

And let’s consider what would have happened had Italy locked down one or 2 weeks earlier.

They would have a smaller strict lockdown area. The would have less restrictive measures. And less overwhelmed hospitals requiring emergency funding.

I.e. a smaller part of their economy being stoped and less need for emergency funding.

How is that for reducing the impact of a recession?

This is what some people don’t seem to understand: if you do nothing the lockdown will happen eventually when people start dying in hospitals for lack of care. So waiting to enact measures is very short sighted even if you are only concerned about the economy and don’t care about public health: it only makes the final impact larger as measures end up having to be more restrictive and larger in time and space.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

pad199207 wrote: »
    Looking at those numbers from Italy today, you’d wonder how it can actually be stopped?

It can't. It is a very successful virus, many hosts don't give any symptoms. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done bar increasing number of ICU so that critically ill will have higher chance of surviving.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Healthy people with the Covid 19 will need to stop being admitted to Hospital. Its a waste of an isolation room at this stage and it is a risk to Hospital staff and vulnerable patients.Young and otherwise healthy people with the Covid 19 ,in my opinion, would be perfectly fine to self isolate at home .The whole regime of shipping everyone off to Hospital with this has to stop !

They said that at this evening's press conference. It was a reasonable measure to take when numbers were small.

Unfortunately there is then the risk that the healthy person at home will take matters into their own hands and, thinking they are fine, will head out into the community while still being infectious. The concern is how do you prevent that risk, short of barricading them into their home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,150 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Now that the Pandemic has been declared does this give governments any additional powers to make changes or do things? (Without legislation?)

They'll still sit on their hands, even though WHO said anyone with under a 100 cases need to go to extremes now to stop it in it's tracks,

ie shut everything down for a period of a few weeks and see the effect of containing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

The 1918 flu was the last pandemic. This is just far too scary.

Incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No it is more that it gives them more reason to implement drastic extreme measures

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

BREAKING: Denmark closes all schools and universities due to coronavirus, orders all public sector employees with non-critical jobs to be sent home from Friday - Reuters

We're going to wait and see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

recyclebin wrote: »
    I thought that's what they were doing already?

They are. They aren't even testing them. No point. But that's why people need to ignore the figures coming out every day about how many new cases there are. In reality there are far more, all ranging from mild to moderate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Healthy people with the Covid 19 will need to stop being admitted to Hospital. Its a waste of an isolation room at this stage and it is a risk to Hospital staff and vulnerable patients.It is also a waste of resources e.g. PPE's which need to be preserved for a possible crisis. Young and otherwise healthy people with the Covid 19 ,in my opinion, would be perfectly fine to self isolate at home .The whole regime of shipping everyone off to Hospital with this has to stop !

Dont treat any of the cheltenham twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

namloc1980 wrote: »
    We're going to wait and see here.

Dr. Tony needs at least 20 deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

coastwatch wrote: »
    Quick calculation of current (active) cases per million population,

Iceland 247 per million (pop 340,000)
    Italy 175
    South Korea 144
    Norway 108
    Qatar 99
    Denmark 76
    Switzerland 75
    Iran 68
    Sweden 49
    Spain 42
    Netherlands 29
    France 27
    Belgium 27
    Austria 27
    Germany 22
    Singapore 15
    Estonia 12
    China 12
    Finland 11
    Ireland 9
    Czech Republic 8
    UK 7
    Portugal 6
    Japan 4
    USA 3
    Canada 2
    Poland 1

I wonder if you could add a "density" calculation into that as well (would be interesting?)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Pistachio19

Naggdefy wrote: »
    My layman's advice would be for a lot of posters, myself included, to take a break for the evening.

The constant reading of the progression of this virus is stressful for many, you mightn't even be aware of it. It's not good for anyone's immune system and that's what we're all going to be relying on.

So watch Athletico v Liverpool, some comedy or get some exercise and clear the heads.

You're right. I was actually crying earlier with a headache from the stress of all the latest news updates - our one death, italys many deaths, texts from schools about suspected case (which was bull) and text from other school telling kids to bring all books home by the weekend just in case. It's overwhelming, so off to the tv for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

The reaction of governments and populations in the west has quite startled me, it's real rabbits in headlights stuff. In future when our fine leaders talk about the superiority of the west compared to the likes of China, remember this moment. China went all out to shut this thing down and protect their population - even the old ones. The west just said "but the economy". Now what might happen is not only we will have lots of needless deaths but the economy will be screwed as a result. China knew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Listening to someone from department of education talking of disruption of leaving cert so on, WTF, I think far more is at stake than that. Close schools now until Sep, not difficult, geez.

Junior Certificate Exams should be cancelled. Use the mocks results. That is a total no brainer IMO.

LC different matter, but let's see. Oral exams upcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Nobody is ignoring any of those things. Nobody under 60 who isn't immunocompromised (that includes me) thinks they might die. Don't project your selfishness ("oh it's not too dangerous for me? ah grand shur who cares so?") onto others.

The numbers projected for Ireland aren't "bizarre" at all, they're grounded in the predictions of what can happen. You're utterly clueless on what might happen. It can easily go either way.
    No where did I project my selfishness.
    Your right I am clueless about the predictions, as is every other poster on the thread, so if others make predictions so will I, this is a discussion thread but I’d say your the type who doesn’t entertain others opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    No offence, but that’s some amount of waffle.

Ok fair enough it was a bad post.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 toneygecko

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Has anyone got a timeline for Ireland’s cases?

Eg 27th Feb. x cases
    03rd March. x cases
    08th March x cases

Google Republic of Ireland covid 19 wiki, loads of stats/graphs there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Graces7 wrote: »
    Your post is inaccurate./out of date by a long way. Folk who live there know differently. It has been gaining ground a while now. So much suffering. Why post inaccuracy when I had listed what was going on from daily calls to actual Canadians? Makes no sense does it... ? As they say " Lies, lies damned lies and statistics!"

Over and out from me on this. This is a difficult time for my family . So much suffering and I cannot be there to support them. So please. over and out as my tears flow free now. Thank you and bless you.

The WHO and Canadian Government figures as per 6pm our time today was 99 cases. Why the heck have you a problem with that?. It is fact. I've no idea who you spoke to but what figures had they for today? There is no inaccuracy in the post and you can call it lies if you like but you're wrong. It could well be a difficult time for many people. Somebody's spinning the tale. Let's stick to the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Healthy people with the Covid 19 will need to stop being admitted to Hospital. Its a waste of an isolation room at this stage and it is a risk to Hospital staff and vulnerable patients.It is also a waste of resources e.g. PPE's which need to be preserved for a possible crisis. Young and otherwise healthy people with the Covid 19 ,in my opinion, would be perfectly fine to self isolate at home .The whole regime of shipping everyone off to Hospital with this has to stop !

And I am sure it will... I imagine they were using the trickle of known patients so far, to practice and make sure their protocols and systems are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Ok fair enough it was a bad post.:D

A rarity. An admission of fault on the internet. Kudos.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,513 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This could be one of the biggest scandals this state has ever seen

It could be if you believe all the scaremongering going on. As usual we see two extremes of views in discussions like this, but the truth will probably be somewhere in the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭RoryMac

grogi wrote: »
    It can't. It is a very successful virus, many hosts don't give any symptoms. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done bar increasing number of ICU so that critically ill will have higher chance of surviving.

A bit OTT saying it can't be stopped, there's reports from both China & Italy to say that an already available medicine for arthritis helps fight against the most serious effects of swelling in the lungs so that's a big positive.

If people follow the advice around handwashing and keeping distance from others there's a good chance we and other countries will avoid the worst of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

On Facebook I have seen a status shared many times (not by the hotel or anyone official) about a hotel in Cork with people in isolation today due to the virus.

I am assuming for now this is hearsay, as I’ve seen nothing on the media.. but I am wondering as I was in this hotel yesterday and have two immunocompromised family members.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement